MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

as I described in my new member introduction my upper triple clamp is not fitting anymore.
Context is that I replaced the left handlebar as it has been bended by the accident. I got the triple clamp off without struggle (just had to pull a bit and off it went). Before this repair I had the bike on the street already, didn't notice anything strange.

So it seems like I need to lift the front wheel and loosen the bolts on the lower trimple clamp? Then try to make it fit again while hoping it's not tweaked...
Lifting the bike with straps attached to a overhead beam isn't possible. So I wondered if it's possible to lift the F3 at the engine (like in the picture)? Or would I damage the engine?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,298 Posts
Using care, and an appropriate piece of dunnage, with the bike firmly on the rear stand, you should be able to support the weight of the front of the bike from below.

Where you choose to do that, is up to you.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Loosen ONLY the triple clamp bolts.. DO NOT loosen the lower triple bolts.
once you unweight the front wheel from the ground the top clamp will slide right on.
I used a rear stand and a floor jack.. if things are not bent it will slide right on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Loosen ONLY the triple clamp bolts.. DO NOT loosen the lower triple bolts.
once you unweight the front wheel from the ground the top clamp will slide right on.
I used a rear stand and a floor jack.. if things are not bent it will slide right on.

I've done this and can say its worked, as you need to lift the front wheel. Just to add though, put a piece of wood between the floor jack and bike and try to jack it up on your headers ay the strongest point where the downpipes come together.

Reactions: jdgun

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after some struggle with a broken floor jack I managed to lift up the front wheel.

The top clamp basically slided in on its own. That was quite a happy moment ;)

Beside cosmectics the bike is repaired for the rest of the season. So thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,298 Posts
Thanks for the report back! Glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries about deforming the exhaust system doing this?
Yes, I had worries. But turned out nothing happened. Only pumped it up once as much as I needed and put it down. Took like 2 minutes.
Still had a bad feeling about it and would recommend another method if available.

·
Registered
626 Posts
No worries about deforming the exhaust system doing this?
At one point in my biking life i was worried about it, especially with the thin walled titanium exhausts i typically run.
A little padding between the header and jack, and no worries.
As for steel like the stock this would not ever be a concern from my experience.

Glad you got things back together!

·
Registered
449 Posts
At one point in my biking life i was worried about it, especially with the thin walled titanium exhausts i typically run.
A little padding between the header and jack, and no worries.
As for steel like the stock this would not ever be a concern from my experience.

Glad you got things back together!
Yes, I had worries. But turned out nothing happened. Only pumped it up once as much as I needed and put it down. Took like 2 minutes.
Still had a bad feeling about it and would recommend another method if available.

The MV is a whole new animal for me with the single side swingarm and the apparent lack of suitable jacking location to raise the bike for tire changes. My Buell was raised by the muffler but it had bulkheads creating hard points to raise the complete bike by using a conforming cradle, on the floor jack.

So far with the MV I've had to buy front and rear axle nut sockets, a 200lb/ft torque wrench and a rear axle stand.
But, I struggle deciding whether to buy a front fork or steering stem stand for front wheel service. Or, buy one of those "whole bike" stands.
However, jacking the front of the bike by the headers appears to be an option as indicated by the two posts above.
Guess I will make a decision when it's time for a front tire.

Thanks for your experience.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The front forks needed unloading --

For future reference you can get a cheap front fork stand off eBay and set it under the caliper mounting brackets and fully removed the wheel.
In this case he needed to "unload" the front forks -- so that would not work- But it works fine for wheel removal :f4:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use the pitbull hybrid front stand, works very well. Easy to just pickup the bike from the calipers to remove the wheel or for tire warmers and then the triple clap pin work to remove the forks. I haven't found a solution for working on the steering head bearings but luckily that is not needed very often. This stand also works on all my bikes. This is the only reason I have not picked up one of the whole bike stands. The only thing I run into periodically is the arms of the stand blocking access to some bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
In this case he needed to "unload" the front forks -- so that would not work- But it works fine for wheel removal :f4:

I've bought a Bursig spider stand "clone" from demontweeks for this very problem. Not that the jack doesn't work, issue is my kids sometime wander into the garage and I can't the take risk of the bike falling on them. Plus it's gonna make storage a breeze cause you can dolly them around nicely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts