MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help would be appreciated. I have a two hour drive to get it home, how do you all haul in the back of a pick up without scratching anything and make sure it gets home safely? I thought about the canyon Dancers I think it is that goes across the bars. Didnt know if anyone had any better ideas.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Baxley Sport Chock--Totally secure and safe, and you can even use it to park the bike in the garage.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is not my Truck so I cant really install anything in it.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol its supposed to be like 30 degrees and riding it for 2 hours is not going to be fun..lol Besides I only have 600 miles till i have to take it back. I would rather keep then for something a bit more fun than highway riding.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I use the canyon dancers, I think. It's two sleeves that go over the grips and the tie downs hang from them. I use those in the front and then wrap a Simpson axle strap around the rear wheel and attach two more tie downs in the back. It is probably over kill as the two front ones will work fine.

You do have ramps to get it off the truck, right?

CAG

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are going to use a pickup you also have to consider how you are going to get your new pride and joy in the bed of the pickup without dropping her. Best thing is to find someone with an enclosed trailer set up for bikes. Ask the local shop. It might be worth a few bucks to pay someone to help pick it up. The Canyon Dancer is a perfect way to tie down the front end. The Baxley is a great choice and you can simply place it in the front of a trailer or pickup bed and strap down the bike properly. It won't move as it has big rubber feet. You will have the added advantage of using the Baxley in your garage...or living room! Be careful and good luck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Lacking a chock, which is by far the best way to secure your bike, Strapping it in is a good second choice.

Canyon Dancers can twist your grips, so use caution on the throttle side. I use one all the time, the grips will return to their shape after a little bit, faster with heat.
There is a better strap out there but for the life of me I can't remember the brand.

I also rent a U-Haul Motorcycle trailer sometimes, it's cheap and has a ramp. When I use my truck I put the wheels in the gutter at the end of my driveway which lowers the tailgate a good six inches. I have two 8 foot 2x12's which is my ramp and the other I walk up on as I push the bike into the truck. Not stylish but it works.

When I strap the bike in, I do the front first, and have the kickstand up. I attach the straps as low as I can get them in the trailer or truck, and the other end to the handle bars.I pull one side tight a little until the bike tilts, then pull the other side. A little on each side as the suspension compresses so the bike is straight up and down and there is no more moverment in the forks. They make a plastic block you can also put on your tire and under the steeringhead to keep you from having to compress your suspension so much, but I hav enever used one.

I also secure the rear of the bike for left to right movement, and up and down movement. I once just tied the front down, and the bike was slightly leaning, I hit a bump and the rear tire came up and the bike jumped to one side almost breaking the turn signaL. Take your time, tie the bike down, check everything 3 or 4 times.

One the drive home, look at all the people that will be checking out your bike in the truck. If you stop anywhere, be prepared to talk about your bike and answer lots of questions.

Enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Krokus_910R said:
Canyon Dancers can twist your grips, so use caution on the throttle side. I use one all the time, the grips will return to their shape after a little bit, faster with heat.
There is a better strap out there but for the life of me I can't remember the brand.

I agree, when I move my track bike around it stuffs up the grips. Another member (was it lewdog?) posted a link for some others www.cyclecynch.com

They look better to me and good value at $49.99 for the CCII with includes tie downs, so I ordered a set :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you do end up using mere pull downs, be sure to compress the front and rear shocks as much as humanly possible. This'll keep the damn thing from doing some embarrassing at the most improper moment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I second the use of a Baxley sport chock and Cycle Cynch. The Sport chock does not have to be mounted, just put it at the front of the pickup bed or trailer. You do not have to compress the fron suspension so much when one of theses is used. Also the Cycle cynch is better than the Canyon Dancer in my opinion because it is easier on the switch gear and grips. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Transporting a bike is hassle without the right kit. If its going in a van, be sure you strap that bike down or it could well fall over. I would of thought riding would be a good option stopping for water if its that hot.

·
Living the Dream
2,761 Posts
I will throw another vote in there for the Canyon Dancer. Easy to use, doesn't tear anything up, and have never let me down in about 6 years of riding and hauling! :drummer:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Before i bought my enclosed trailer,i used to rent the ones that U-haul had and used the cycle cinch with that. .Where are you picking it up from?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Check your local Uhaul (or online) to see how much it cost to rent a motoryclce trailer for one day. It's usually around $17 to $25. Those trailer have a ramp the width of the trailer so getting it on or off is no problem.

I use Canyon Dancers and their okay. Once, I think it put some marks on the hand grip so I usully put some tube socks around the grip BUT have to make sure they don't cause the Canyon Dancers to slide off.

I also put a strap around the rear tire (with a soft piece of cloth around the contact point). I thought think you need to strap the rear down but it's just an extra piece of insurance.

I've used the U-haul trailer for may bike about four times and only dropped the bike once ;) but that was when I was doing the job myself and had no one to hold the bike while I tried to strap it down (sidestand needs to be up).

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nicensleazy said:
Transporting a bike is hassle without the right kit. If its going in a van, be sure you strap that bike down or it could well fall over. I would of thought riding would be a good option stopping for water if its that hot.

thats 30 F. not C.lol

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will have to check around on uhaul website and see what is out there.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ChrisOK said:
Before i bought my enclosed trailer,i used to rent the ones that U-haul had and used the cycle cinch with that. .Where are you picking it up from?
Bauer in OKC.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I'm really bored at work:

Per Uhaul's site, a 5 x 8 open traler is $18.95 for 24 hours and a 6' x 12' is $29.95. That's in Tulsa, OK. I'm not sure if the enclosed trailers have the hooks for a motorcycle but it'd be a good choice if the weather's bad.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dova80 said:
Bauer in OKC.
Hmm..I wonder if we could do something creative..I need to drop my bike off there sometime,depending on what day you pick yours up I could maybe drop mine off at the sametime and you could use my trailer,but then you'd have to bring it back to OKC sometime before I pick my bike back up....I dunno,just an idea. The trailer is enclosed and plenty big and safe!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts