MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for those that frequent the track anywhere in the VA/MD/WVA area. First, where is a good track to go to for a first timer. i might be a first timer on the track but i can handle a hard ride so nothing to beginer. Also what would it cost me to get the track time and get this bike ready for the track in terms of money. i have not done anything to the bike to get it track ready so basically taking a street MV and making it track ready for my first track day. Any help would be appreciated!! :koolaid:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
track prep is easy. i'm going to assume you have the proper gear, because that's the single most important item when going to the track.

on the bike, the most important thing is tires. you want good rubber. it should have at least 80% of it's life left. if there is any question on this, i always lean to replacing the tires. i'd rather have that good rubber under me than be worried about when the front or rear might give up on me. tires are cheaper than plastic/metal/paint.

the next is brakes. the brakes should be in good shape - rotors should be straight, fluid is fresh, pads have lots of life.

after that, it's the motor/drive train. motor should be in good running condition, no overheating, no leaking oil, fasteners are tight (especially for oil/coolant). chain should be properly adjusted and in good shape.

your bike looks to be in excellent condition and you probably keep up on the maintenance. you should be in good shape for a track day.

as for preparing the bike for the day itself, read through this thread:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1954

alex

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've been racing for a few years now. I'm not very fast, but I enjoy myself on the track.

If you plan on doing a few track days you might want to consider a couple of things.

1. Pick up a set of Racebodywork. Have it painted...She looks good and if you do lay her down it wont cost you an arm and a leg.

2. Buy some extra bolts...and safety wire things like, your oil drain bolt, your oil filter, your oil filler plug and your front brake callipers. Another easy fix is to pull the "R" clips on the brake pads and safety wire them.

My biggest fear is dumping oil all over the place and highsiding my F$cking brains out on a 100mph sweeper. Spending a few bucks replacing some bolts so you can keep your originals nice.

3. Get some soft compound tires. They'll be done by the end of the day, but how good they feel.

Good luck and enjoy. Once you start riding on the track..Its hard to go back on the street.

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, pants are the only thing that i need in terms of gear and since i don't know how many track days i am going to do i am going to have to run in my stock fairings. call me ignorante, but people always talk about safety wiring things and i don't really know what that means, i can take a guess but is that something they would do at the track before riding? also, what kind of $$ would all this take if i had all my gear ready to go and only had to get a set of rubber? brakes are good and i keep very up to date on all maint. Again, i am trying to get a budget together b/c i only have so much to work with. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If you on a tight budget, make sure you current on your insurance payment before heading out to the track.

Jon (Ytak) is absolutely right about safety wiring. There are a few race shops in Tilly you can pay to get the job done (Your life and your fellow track-riders' depend on it.)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
safety wiring is where you drill a small hole in the head of a bolt, pass a wire thought it, twist the wire, and tie it to another bolt.

here's a nice link on it:
http://www.whizwheels.com/Tips/safetywiring.html

nice photos on this page:
http://webpages.charter.net/strysnie/ducati/wire.html

personally, i wouldn't bother. for racing, safety wire is required. but for almost all track days, it's not (check w/your track day organizer). i've done track days for a few years now (since '99). i can't recall a situation where a bolt falling out was responsible for a crash. crashes that i've seen, and my own, were caused by rider error.

besides, safety wire is a PITA.

you need to get the proper gear. the pants should zip to the jacket, with a full circumference zipper. better yet, a one-piece suit. for a good value in leathers, try these guys:
http://www.newenough.com/

alex

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Alex,

(You're an engineer by trade, you know better than that about safety wiring. :) ) While I do admit that safety wiring can be a PITA to get going but once you have it done, upkeep is a cake walk. You will never go back.

Casual trackday riders might not be aware of bolts coming off but for racers, it's a common occurance. I see all kind of $hit fall off bikes.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
David,

I agree with everything you say, just not the priority of it.

This guy wants to get out to the track for the first time and I'm just trying to encourage him, show him that our bikes are ready for the track out of the box. He needs to have the right safety gear, and the bike should be in good mechanical condition. That's really all it takes.

I think EVERY MV owner (F4 or Brutale) should take their bike out to the track. That's really where these motorcycles are at home, especially the F4.

If you think that a bike needs to be safety wired before going out to the track, that's a good idea. But my feeling is that it creates an additonal, and unnecessary barrier that will prevent some guys from doing a track day. IMHO, it's much more important that we encourage riders to do track day events, to raise the general skill level of all riders, than to worry them with safety wiring the bike.

Where's the "beat a dead horse" smiles? I think we've killed this issue...LOL.

Alex

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys i appreciate all the help with the issue. i am going to head up to fast lane cycles on tuesday and get some more info on where they recommend doing a track day. Again thanks for all the help, i am looking forward to getting this baby out where i can really whind it out!
Pigiolino,
that is exactly what i am affraid of,going to the track falling in love with it and not having the money to do it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts