MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought an F4 yesterday I'm just not sure which one. I've called the dealer three times changing my mind he must think I'm insane. First I ordered a 312R and it will be in on Wednesday. Then I saw the the 1000Rs are being discounted a $1000. So I thought $3000 for 9 hp is it worth it. Normally my answer is absolutely but I'm maturing in my old age and said no. Then I started reading about titanium values you've got to love titanium vales. So I called my salesmen back and told him to switch it back to the 312R.

Then I did a google search for 1000R vs 312R well I ended up here looking at a dyno sheet showing better power pre 10k for the 1000R. So I called the dealer back and switched to the 1000R. After that the salesmen told me he would put a hold on both bikes and I can pick on Tuesday. Now I've spent alot of time reading various posts including someone else who asked excatly the same question and I'm completely confused.

Other then the 9hp which I will never use is the 312R that muck better. It seems both have their strong points and I think that the 1000R may be a better bike for my purpose. Mostly street 6-10 track days a year. What about the 5K surging is it that much improved in the 312R, will it take the $3000 savings to sort out that issue anyway.

Sorry for the long post and I apologize for asking this question again I'm really just venting my frustrations. But anyone has any new advise I would appreciate it greatly.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
312R !

the way you flip flop it will be sold with next special anyway...

312R masterbike winner 2007...nuf said...

next time, search this now oft broached subject..

and WELCOME!

good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hmmm......9 bhp you'll never use or $3,000 you will use........

Don't get me wrong, get the 312 if that's what you REALLY want. I do believe in getting latest and greatest (no regrets), but have figured out that with bikes, it's the dog chasing the tail! Next year, they'll put out the 320, then the 327, etc. We'll NEVER be able to keep up (and trust me, I've been trying!)

I was faced with the same dilemna and went with the 1000 R. Acually got the bike at a $2,000 discount! I will be putting it into carbon parts and an RG3. While it would have been nice to say "my bike is the fastest out," I don't plan on topping out my bike anytime soon, but if I do and only hit 189 vs 194......I'll live (figuratively and literally).

If it's value you seek, can't miss with the 1000R. If $$ is no object, of course, get the 312......but then if $$ was no object we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

Sure you'll be happy either way!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I agree with DesmoHugh 100%. After contemplating the exact same issue I decided on the 1000R for all those same reasons.

.....but then I saw a Senna and bought it instead. All common sense went out the window!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
If you're using it primarly as a street bike and the R is $3.000 less than the 312R i say go for the R and get an RG3, mid pipe, PC3 with a well done custom map, and maybe you can still get some carbon bits. :f4:

BTW welcome and let us know what you end up deciding :friday:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses I know the question had been asked before and I apologize for asking again. The thread is reflecting what is going on in my head. The responders in favor of the 1000R provided good rational reasoning for their choice. Those in favor of the 312R just wanted it. Money is always an issue but the $3000 is not going to impact my life. I may have to wait a little longer to mod the bike but I think there are worst things in life then driving a stock F4. My real concern is that I want to make sure I'm happy with the decision. Only one more day.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
angrysea said:
Thanks for all the responses I know the question had been asked before and I apologize for asking again. The thread is reflecting what is going on in my head. The responders in favor of the 1000R provided good rational reasoning for their choice. Those in favor of the 312R just wanted it. Money is always an issue but the $3000 is not going to impact my life. I may have to wait a little longer to mod the bike but I think there are worst things in life then driving a stock F4. My real concern is that I want to make sure I'm happy with the decision. Only one more day.
Apart from the cam chain tensioner recall the R is a beautiful bike.
Check the VIN number on the bike,make sure it doesn't fall into the recall and you should have a winner.
Check the recall VINs on the home page of MVagusta.net.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I had the same delima....I chose the 312.....not that it really matters, but that thing draws crowds.
Mian reason, was the R fueling issues....this thing is smooth as silk.
Had it out this weekend for some break in miles in Mid TN natchez trace parkway.......
camera phone pic, low quality.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
lewdog998 said:
I had the same delima....I chose the 312.....not that it really matters, but that thing draws crowds.
Mian reason, was the R fueling issues....this thing is smooth as silk.
Had it out this weekend for some break in miles in Mid TN natchez trace parkway.......
camera phone pic, low quality.

Lewdog, your bike looks great in the pearl and black, post some more pics when you get a chance, cheers mate

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Once you do your research you'll find the answer to this one is simple. Both are great bikes based on the same great frame and body, but I would strongly suggest the 312. Not for the nine extra hp, but simply because they have sorted out many of the fueling issues, created by the then new Euro3 emissions stanards previously present on the R model - plus more that includes the titanum valves you mentioned.

If you really want to be practical and like your midrange power on the strong side, try to find a left over S model (05-06). Same great bike with smoother running brakes and all the midrange power the F4 was orginally designed to put out, prior to the top speed quest. You'll save about 4 to 5000 grand with this option.

Oh yeah and don't worry, they all do at least 170-175 anyway.

:f4: Have a good time with whatever you choose!
Paul K.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
What fuelling issues? i have not read about any 1000r owners mentioning anything about fuelling issues. Besides nothing a PC3 wont cure.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you've got a little (but loud) voice in your head saying "I MUST HAVE IT" then the 312 is the illogical but obvious choice.

From the way you've been wavering though, I'd say the logical choice is to get the R and spend the difference on some special bits to make it uniquely *yours*. Or, if you've never had custom made leathers, they are a treat. Once I had a set made to measure, I never want to go back to "off the rack." Sure, they're more expensive, but this *is* an MV Agusta forum, not a Suzuki one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts