MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I REALLY hope this hasn't been covered before. I did a search, but didn't find anything...

I've noticed in the manual that MV recommends lubing the chain every 1,000km (600 miles). I've always lubed the chain at half that rate (every 500km) - so I was wondering what others do.

:popcorn:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I think we have discussed lubing chains before John, but it's a good subject to keep on top of so who cares! :jsm:

With 'O' ring chains, I don't lube a great deal to be honest, whatever stuff you use ends up all over the back wheel and tyre IMO. I just use some white grease after a dusty ride or if I've been caught out in the wet.

BTW there is a discussion on a Ducati site at the mo about the same thing and WD40 seems to be a bone of contention, some people swear by it and others say it rots the rubber of the O rings, anyone here got an opinion on using it?

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
About every 400-500 km.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Hardly ever. Only done it once on the brute and F4. I did a terrible job. Now I've figured out how it is supposed to be done....

WD40, no opinions, but I think I'll get some for the cleaning bit. That's what I hear about it anyway.... what the hell...give it a go....

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
My buddy with an R6 uses WD40 as lube on his chains....40K miles and never once a rotted O-Ring. Those that say it will rot the O-Rings, are those that have never tried it. I do however, use it to clean my chain. Works wonders.

I myself swear by Maxima chain wax. It doesn't fling, and I used it when I used to commute on my R6 50 miles to work one way (100 miles round trip)....VERY minimal fling, and good in the rain.

I used to lube every night on my R6...on my Brute, like one a week, or once every other week. The chain wax works well enough, so I don't worry about it much...

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
john said:
I think we have discussed lubing chains before John, but it's a good subject to keep on top of so who cares! :jsm:

With 'O' ring chains, I don't lube a great deal to be honest, whatever stuff you use ends up all over the back wheel and tyre IMO. I just use some white grease after a dusty ride or if I've been caught out in the wet.

BTW there is a discussion on a Ducati site at the mo about the same thing and WD40 seems to be a bone of contention, some people swear by it and others say it rots the rubber of the O rings, anyone here got an opinion on using it?

after thinking about the controversy for some time
i always wipe off the grime with a clean rag
then..... clean the chain with WD-40
then... wipe all the WD-40 OFF
then.... apply some PJ chain lube or Maxima Chain wax

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Don't forget all you need to do with the chain is stop it going rusty, and lube the "O" or "X" rings, modern chains are sealed, no more boiling the thing on the stove in a tin of waxy shite! the main point of a chain wax these days must be to lubricate the chain rollers/side plates to sprocket contact areas?
I can always tell when the chain needs some lube stuff, it just makes the bike vibrate? a little, I use Wurth dry lube, probably every 2-300 miles

·
Registered
822 Posts
I use chain wax, it stays on and doesn't fly all over the place. WD40 is not a chain lube, its a water displacement (thats what wd stands for, and 40 was the 40th forumla tried) oil, and its designed to evaporate. I cant imagine that it would ruin the o-rings, but it doesnt have a heavy enough viscosity to propely lube a motorcycle chain, in my opinion.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
spalding12 said:
and......
nothing works better to remove the CHAIN SPRAY than WD-40 as well
That's true Greg, paraffin works OK too but WD40 smells better :)

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
The fear with WD-40 is actually not that it harms the o-rings, but that it seeps past them and breaks down the grease inside the bushings, turning your o-ring chain into a regular chain - Which is fine, as long as you lube it constantly.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hardly ever lube at all, wipe chain down after every ride with clean rag to remove debris and then wipe with Motol Chain Wax and wipe off again, keeps the chain clean, outer links lubed and no fling off!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not often but found Kerosene to be a great cleaner and leaves just the right amount of residue to lube.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree - I'm a kerosene boy.

·
Registered
358 Posts
john said:
I've been using WD-40 to clean my 2000 Falco chain for years now, and I haven't seen any indication of the o-rings drying or rotting. I've replaced the chain twice in 50,000 miles, and the o-rings that come off when you break the chain look just fine; still soft and flexible.

Whenever I pull the rear wheel I give the chain a good cleaning with kerosene and check for binding links. The usual weekly maintenance is to use WD-40, followed by wiping to remove all excess, followed by a spray with PJ-1, then another wipe.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts