MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if you guys could tell me if you have had a SPU (sometimes known as the CDI) or fuse box failure and at what mileage. I am just recording all the failures and starting a log.Your help will be appreciated. I would like to know every failure. CAG (Phraseology stolen from Mitch.)

Did the dealer replace it or did you? Was the bike in or out of warranty? Who paid for the replacement unit?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The one on my 750 by dealer at around 6,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
spring of 2010, 2 weeks after I bought it from the original owner, just over 1700 miles. I paid for it myself, I replaced it myself.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Around 7,000 miles, headlight would blink when the fan came on. Out of warranty, I replaced it. $350.00 from FBF about two years ago.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
~18,000 miles, in warranty, replaced by dealer. Again @ ~22k miles, replaced by dealer out of warranty, I paid labor.

As commentary, the failure of the unit (and my rear wheel bearings at about 6k miles) both nearly caused life-ending failures/loss of control. Both should have been recalled. Sadly MV overall numbers are too low for NHTSA to notice.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
UK registered in 2005, a 750s Brutale. SPU failed at 17,000 miles in 2009, fuel pump relay inside SPU at fault. Out of warranty. Managed to get new replacement at trade price from the UK importer (MotoGB) fitted it myself, no (SPU) problems since, bike now covered 22,000 miles.

jimboF4

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine failed at about 3,000 miles in 2008. Covered under wty. 2006 910S. Directionals wouldn't work or they blinked all on their own. Handled by dealer fairly quickly.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Just wondering if you guys could tell me if you have had a SPU (sometimes known as the CDI) or fuse box failure and at what mileage. I am just recording all the failures and starting a log.Your help will be appreciated. I would like to know every failure. CAG (Phraseology stolen from Mitch.)

Did the dealer replace it or did you? Was the bike in or out of warranty? Who paid for the replacement unit?
Did a fuse box last week on a 2007 Brutie from Ireland with 14K miles, also did the rear hub for good measure.

:popcorn:​

·
Registered
425 Posts

Is in the process of failing. Intermittent failure of indicators. Intermittently Horn activates with high beam. General poor running of engine due to intermittent failure of sensors and throttle pulses, resulting in carbon deposits in engine, injectors and sparkplugs.

All the above are increasing running and servicing costs, as well as increasing the risk of accident due to stalling and incorrect signaling.

Bike is 2005 750 with 25,000kms and definitely out of warranty

I'll be paying for the replacement very shortly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My old 06 Brutale had the SPU fail @ around 15000K's.
I paid for & replaced it myself with the later non resin filled unit with no further problems.

Sweenz

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 06 910S has eaten two. One replaced during warranty (at 2,000 miles-ish) & one I've just replaced (11,000 miles). The latter cost me 290Euro+VAT from Star Twin.

Both times the symptoms were indicators doing their own thing & the bike stalling.

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2004 750 with 6000 Km's had it replaced. I rode it in the rain, next day the RPM's were bouncing, the Bike started making funny sounds when the key was out and other random behavior. Got the part from Italy for half the price in Australia.

I Paid for and installed the unit myself.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
2004 Brutale 750S : I had one replaced under warranty in about 2005 sometime ( bike died and then would not start), then that died out of warranty in about 2008 or 9 ( CAG it was the same time I bought the alternator from you), I got to pay for a new one. This latest one is the 'new' version no problems so far...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mine had a failure at about 6k.
The fuel pump would not stop running.
This made it impossible to turn off the bike even with the emergency button pushed in!!!!
Had to stall the bike to turn it off.
Then got stuck with an empty battery miles away from home in the heaviest rain I have ever seen, the fuel pump emptied the battery.
Then got the fuse for the fuel pump blowing on the motorway, third lane...
This wasn't my best weekend, I was starting having the flu as well.

Replaced it now and that fixed all the electrical problems. I also checked if my fuel line connectors were in good shape while I was at it. Sure enough fuel was leaking there. Good enough I had spare ones in metal waiting to be placed in along with a new DNA filter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2006 Brutale 910R. Mine failed @ approx. 21,000km's.
This year (2012) so it was not covered under warranty.
I purchased a newbie from Star Twin for approx. AUD$450.
Was original quoted AUD$2,400 from MV & AUD$8000 from mechanic.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Hi Carl,
I thought I had posted my details to this ?

2005 Brutale
@13,000km
Replaced by me $$$$ and well out of warranty

1 - 20 of 116 Posts