MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know...horrible idea. But my GF is 4'11", and wants a bike....particularly, mine. I figure it's a good excuse to go buy another :laughing:

Anyhow, she can ALMOST touch the ground. If she hangs off one side, with the kickstand down, she can tip toe one side.

So my question is, how low can you lower the rear?

It's her first bike....I know, bad idea, but she's a rEALLY responsible driver, and definitly knows her limits, so I'm confidant, if I put her on a K6 GSXR1K, she'd be fine....aside from dropping it from not being able to touch the ground :laughing:

And I'm now brand loyal......can't own anything else, or it'll seem crap in comparison.....

Anyways, how low can you lower the rear of this bike? Any short members on the forum?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
You can lower the MV with the height adjuster by the rear shock and also softening the suspension but I'm not sure that 4'11' will be tall enough for the MV. If you girl is indeed a newbie maybe the best path for her is to learn on another brand so she can appreciate what the MV is. Ducs are a little lower :stickpoke :stickpoke :) .

Best of luck, I wish I could get my wife to consider rididng.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
You can lower them....mine was lowered by it's previous owner because he was very short. Just drop the front forks and wind the back adjuster down. I put it back to standard spec.

Only one thing to watch with lowering MV's {F4} is that the front of the bellypan will deckout under heavy braking.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
you thought of putting her on a K6? you don't like her very much do you. :stickpoke::D

i guess you got your question answered, so the next question is...what's your next purchase?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah...here's how tall she is compared to me...I'm 6'0.5" :)laughing:)

In that pic, obviously, I'm not standing straight up.

On of my friends has an 2000 ZX6R, lowered, and says it can go down one more inch, and she can ALMOST touch the ground. I figured if I shaved the seat, she could touch.

As for as the K6....meh, she really responsible, so I know she wouldn't gas the shit out of it out of sheer fear. But I think ANY bike will stand it up with her on it, weighing in at 100lbs....yeah, everything is fast with her on it :laughing:

I was thinking a Monster 600, but eh....I think that'd really be giving her the short end of the stick :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
The new monster '600' is a 675--Not too bad.
I wouldn't out her on an MV though. It's not a matter of responsibility, it's a matter of experience, and she just doesn't have any.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Did you get her an MV? I don't know if you agree but I find the brute is not the friendliest bike to learn on. I've been riding harleys for 12 years so in a sense, I'm a beginner on the brute. I find it really does like to be spanked, so spank her I do, but she's quite hard to control when going slow--that jerky on/off idle thing. Not the best choice for a new biker.

·
Registered
479 Posts
fazer6 said:
The new monster '600' is a 675--Not too bad.
I wouldn't out her on an MV though. It's not a matter of responsibility, it's a matter of experience, and she just doesn't have any.
+1e10

Being a responsible person has nothing to do with accidentally gassing it when scared, responsible people get scared just as often as irresponsible ones...

No MV, start off with a bike made to be smaller, that has less power, and take out some of the intimidation.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
nate,

the mv is not a 25% bike. it's a 110% bike. it wants to be flogged, not babied. you know that. besides, as someone already posted, this thing is a bitch at low speeds and low rpms.

think REAL careful about your choice.

alex

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
My wife is about 5' 1" and has ridden my F4, but she wasn't happy on it and she's been riding for over 20 years. I agree with Alex on this one. How about a Hornet or a Fazer Nate?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
oicdn said:
I was thinking a Monster 600
Agreed. Start on a monster and move to Brutale if/when GF status has been upgraded. It will hit the ground. As much as you want her on your preference it will be harder to see the brute on it's side. All the points above on low speed riding, exactly where a new rider needs the most confidence, are spot on. No way.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
And what about a Cagiva Raptor. Would be a little bit MV...

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
No dealers? Every MV dealer should be able to get one.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Ehm.... okay... no way a MV dealer can get one??

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Maximum Velocity said:
Ehm.... okay... no way a MV dealer can get one??
Nope, tried for years. You can find used ones on occasion, but they're overpriced due to the pains the owner had to go through to get it here.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Velocemoto said:
You can lower them....mine was lowered by it's previous owner because he was very short. Just drop the front forks and wind the back adjuster down. I put it back to standard spec.

Only one thing to watch with lowering MV's {F4} is that the front of the bellypan will deckout under heavy braking.
Only problem is (as Velocemoto has said previously), this significantly alters the handling. :jsm: :jsm: I lowered mine when I first got it and left it like that for ages. But it was just too heavy and slow on the turn in. Cranked it back up at the rear and it flies around curves......

At 4' 11" she is just TOO short for an MV. They are not great at car park speeds (and turning circles!) and she would put it down frequently (unless she is built like a weight lifter~!!!). And an MV for a first bike.... ... now that's a death wish....surely you jest (try a Monster 620 or Kawasaki ER5)

just my view... :blah:

DocMV :guitarist

1 - 19 of 19 Posts