MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started smoking again after a 2year break, dirty habit stopping this weekend again!

I was in the garage lusting over my bikes. Looking at the rev counter on my F4750 I suddenly realised I had never seen the shift light come on, I have only taken it up to about 10,500 rpm ever.

I like to practice mechanical empathy so never really thrash any of my bikes never have.

What do other people take theirs up to? Is it worth another 1,500rpm. Can the engine take being taken up to such high rpm 12,700rpm is the max?? Am I being too careful? Tomorrow I am going to take her to the shift light. Hopefully it won't rain!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Flanners said:
I have started smoking again after a 2year break, dirty habit stopping this weekend again!

I was in the garage lusting over my bikes. Looking at the rev counter on my F4750 I suddenly realised I had never seen the shift light come on, I have only taken it up to about 10,500 rpm ever.

I like to practice mechanical empathy so never really thrash any of my bikes never have.

What do other people take theirs up to? Is it worth another 1,500rpm. Can the engine take being taken up to such high rpm 12,700rpm is the max?? Am I being too careful? Tomorrow I am going to take her to the shift light. Hopefully it won't rain!
No problem the bike can take it, as long as you care for them properly they are made to be revved that high. I bounce mine off the rev limiter just about every ride...I try not to but it gets there so damn quick it catches you out sometimes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The last track day, 2 weeks ago, I hit the rev limiter 3 times in one lap. Most laps I would hit it once comming out of the bowl on to a short straight. I am to busy looking at the track, my 910s pulls hard right thru red line. I missed a total of 5 shifts to a false neutral during the day, make sure you always up shift to clear, no damage of any kind. My track boots are much stiffer and I am not used to them yet. I just came home from a ride earlier today thru the back twisties, all is well, could not be better. I use Av Gas 100LL during track days.

·
Registered
259 Posts
No problems to bounce it off the rev limiter as much as you please. Have tossed the SPR around on a track, nailing the limiter, stomping up through the gears sans clutch, downshifting with only tiny blips... and it's just fine. The rev limiter will tick you off (that's its purpose!), and you'll soon discover that you know exactly the sound that indicates you're about to hit the top end. Then you're really flying. Shifting just a few hundred RPM before the limiter kicks in.

Or, you could have the limiter reprogrammed... just to get that much faster than Reopropf. It is, after all, electronic. :smoking:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right then time to go out and see an hear what what the F4 is like at 11,500rpm!

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Peak torque on the Tambo is at 8,700 rpm, at 10,500 rpm the TSS activates and sends you spinning towards peak HP at 11,250 rpm...I bounce the rev-limiter occasionally, when I try to nail the shift at 11,250..The problem is that even in first gear, you are moving quickly!!!

MOST of the time I shift before 10,000 rpm, where there is gobs of usable torque for the twisties.

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Errr... when the bike is warmed up, I shift up using the red light all the time :jsm: Don't suppose my carbon footprint is very small :naughty:

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I think above 10000 revs is the most fun.

Maximum Revilocity :yo: :guitarist

·
Registered
268 Posts
Is it OK? Is it safe? Will it hurt the engine? The rev limiter is there to protect your engine. That's its job. So you won't do any damage by hitting it. There's no need to, since your peak power will come before redline, but you likely will hit it, since peak power is still relatively close to redline and you'll blow past it in a fraction of a second at WFO.

But even with the 750cc engine, and geared down for the street, redline in first gear is breaking the law in California on just about any road you're on, and meanwhile you're making a lot of noise. That's a recipe for a ticket: break the law and draw a lot of attention to yourself in the process. For that reason you'll rarely hit the rev limiter on the street. I keep my revs high, but not that high.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts