MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

How fast is the 2008 312R’s? Against the Jap rivals’? GSXR 1000, ZX-10, ex…..
I’m talking strait away speed, not lap times!

I’m still in the market for a 2008 312R, and would just like to know if any of you are beating any of the Jap bikes in some good old 2nd gear roll on racing “that is a race from 2nd gear all the way to 6th topped out”

from the spec's of the 312R & it's Jap rivals, it looks like it would be a close race, the GSXR & ZX 10 are the only 2 that have the Hp to go head to head, with the M.V! but the extra weight of the M.V. will slow it down!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
they are darn close (depends who gets the jump) up to about 130......did not have room to go beyond that.....

I would just call them equal.....when you factor in rider weight, physical size, his tuck....and whatever other factors there ...shift point, etc then I would call them even.....one guy may pull head one day, the next day if may be different.

when on public roads, it mostly depends on the size of ones cojones or the quantity of functioning grey matter.

BTw ...red ducatis are faster that the yellow ones...in case you were wondering.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
HAHHA this is true. I have smoked an 08 busa down a long road from a roll on. But he was slowly catching me. I have also had some pretty close races with the Jap Rivals on the race track straight aways its Alaska so the track is not typical more like a couple of Runways marked off as a track. And about the 130ish mark you start nosing out in front. The weight to me doesnt impeed the bikes speed so much as it does the track times its a lot of weight to toss around.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Down the bottom of the page fastest bikes round nurburg ring this should answer your question, as I always say anyone can go fast in a straight line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times

When people start saying the Mv is old hat I just get this page up, It normally quietens them down

And if anyone starts to think "Obviously the baron isn't a quick rider on the R1" he's the resident rider at the ring!

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
You should ask Mr Stephen Wood this question....he has a strong opinion :violin:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Here you go. It's only a 131 page thread: :)
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12410&highlight=wood

As for an acceleration slug out, I think it depends how far your going. I think the GSXR and ZX10 are beefier in the mid-range so they may have a leap until the 312 gets in it's power band. (That's just my guess since I've never ridden a 312). On the other hand, if you look at magazine 1/4 times, most sports bikes are a few tenths of a seconds apart, so like lewdog said, it's all up the the variables.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks’ Guys,

The M.V. is a hell of a lot of $$$ for it not to run with the big dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have owned all v-twin bikes and sorry, but I think there all slow to me. I'm looking to haul ass, and there just no style or anything special in the Jap bikes for me. I do say I love the style and engineering in my ducati & aprilia though! If the v-twin bikes turned more RPM and made 180+ hp I would keep them, but they don’t!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
If you compare the MV with the Japanese liter bikes for a dollar to engine performance ratio, the MV will always loose. The 312RR with 1078cc makes roughly the same horse power as the 1000cc Japanese bikes. Dollar-wise, you're comparing $13,000 with $25,000. Also, you can work a good deal on the Jap bikes but with 312RR, you would not be getting deep discounts.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Power

Thanks’ Guys,

The M.V. is a hell of a lot of $$$ for it not to run with the big dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have owned all v-twin bikes and sorry, but I think there all slow to me. I'm looking to haul ass, and there just no style or anything special in the Jap bikes for me. I do say I love the style and engineering in my ducati & aprilia though! If the v-twin bikes turned more RPM and made 180+ hp I would keep them, but they don’t!
All Vee Twins are slow, you must be one shithot ridder mate. As for 180 HP Vee Twin the 1098R comes to mind, and reving, the twins have so much torque they dont need to have the shit reved out of them, thats what the gearbox is for. Where are you going to use all this power? not on the road.
If most of us were honest with ourselves a 600 would be enough power, but we want the biggest and best, what ever that is. Just IMO.:brutale:I wish.
PS Troy Bayliss, does that name mean anything?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All Vee Twins are slow, you must be one shithot ridder mate. As for 180 HP Vee Twin the 1098R comes to mind, and reving, the twins have so much torque they dont need to have the shit reved out of them, thats what the gearbox is for. Where are you going to use all this power? not on the road.
If most of us were honest with ourselves a 600 would be enough power, but we want the biggest and best, what ever that is. Just IMO.:brutale:I wish.
PS Troy Bayliss, does that name mean anything?

bstar360,

Have you ever ridden a v-twin? Look I like speed = hp + RPM, also a friend of mine destroyed a 1098, with his M.V. 312r! Both riders said the race was over by 3rd gear, and by 6th he had about 14 bike length between him, sorry "mate" v twins just don't run with I-4's period!

And don't make any racing comments to me, I have been to the Qatar WSBK race, and actually seen Troy Bayliss ride the 1098r have you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bstar360, the only reason ducati won this year is the engine cc rule, there running 198 more cc than the I-4 Guys, let’s put a 1170cc GSXR, R-1 ex..... out on the track, and see what happens!!!!!!!!! :nutkick:

Ducati makes a great track bike "road racing", but for the street, there slow you will not hang with any real street bike do to the low rpm power band of the engine!

Here is a picture of my Suzuki TLR, and you will see it in an upcoming super bike magazine, so I guess only squids ride this one to!!!!!!!!! Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it puts more hp & torque down than a 1098 / 1198, and your M.V. but I guess again I’m just a squid!!!!!!!!!!!! Because I really [email protected]#king ride a super bike, and built it myself, and you ride to your to the local coffee shop! To think your cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!:jerkoff:

All I was asking in this thread is if a 312r can hold its own, that’s it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was looking for some real feedback, just honest answers!!!!!!!!!!! And I got it from most of the people on this forum, but you and the guy with the baby in his picture wanted to call me out, well here you go!!!!!!!!!!!!! Squid Boy’s :jerkoff:

p://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa315/angelo1000r/HPIM0660.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
264 Posts
bstar360,

Have you ever ridden a v-twin? Look I like speed = hp + RPM, also a friend of mine destroyed a 1098, with his M.V. 312r! Both riders said the race was over by 3rd gear, and by 6th he had about 14 bike length between him, sorry "mate" v twins just don't run with I-4's period!

And don't make any racing comments to me, I have been to the Qatar WSBK race, and actually seen Troy Bayliss ride the 1098r have you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bstar360, the only reason ducati won this year is the engine cc rule, there running 198 more cc than the I-4 Guys, let’s put a 1170cc GSXR, R-1 ex..... out on the track, and see what happens!!!!!!!!! :nutkick:

Ducati makes a great track bike "road racing", but for the street, there slow you will not hang with any real street bike do to the low rpm power band of the engine!

Here is a picture of my Suzuki TLR, and you will see it in an upcoming super bike magazine, so I guess only squids ride this one to!!!!!!!!! Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it puts more hp & torque down than a 1098 / 1198, and your M.V. but I guess again I’m just a squid!!!!!!!!!!!! Because I really [email protected]#king ride a super bike, and built it myself, and you ride to your to the local coffee shop! To think your cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!:jerkoff:

All I was asking in this thread is if a 312r can hold its own, that’s it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was looking for some real feedback, just honest answers!!!!!!!!!!! And I got it from most of the people on this forum, but you and the guy with the baby in his picture wanted to call me out, well here you go!!!!!!!!!!!!! Squid Boy’s :jerkoff:

Oh dear .......ok...ok.... I believe you.:bash:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Mate no need to get upset, be more careful with your wording and you might get a friendly response (like page 1).

If you only care for speed, why don't you just buy a Busa or ZX14 and turbo charge the sucker?

I can't understand why someone would not buy a certain bike because they lost by 1 bike length in a race to 300 LOL. You either have serious ego issues or came here to stir the members.

If you want to play with the big boys on an Italian bike, it's going to cost you. A 312 may get spanked by a Gixa 1k in a straight line but at the end of the day you are on an MV and the Gixa is 'just another bike' on the road. You need to decide how much that is worth to you :)

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Well, that was just one of the most squiddy posts I've ever seen.
Try the NHRA boards if you want to talk about drag racing, and if you're really the kind of rider that is doing triple-digit racing (or ANY racing) on the street, you're the kind of rider the world could use much less of.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
If you want to play with the big boys on an Italian bike, it's going to cost you. A 312 may get spanked by a Gixa 1k in a straight line but at the end of the day you are on an MV and the Gixa is 'just another bike' on the road. You need to decide how much that is worth to you :)
I have to agree. If you want to go toe-to-toe with the Big Four's liter class, then you'll need a F4 312RR. I think Cycle World did a 0 to 180mph test with the Japanese literbikes and the Ducati 1098 & 1098R and the 312RR. I think the 1098R barely made it (if at all) while the 312RR was on par with the ZX10 and GSXR.

You don't bring a samurai sword to a gun fight because as good as the sword it, it's no match for automatic weapons fire (unless you're some kind of a super-samurai). With all do respect, I think you should re-consider whether you really want to spend $18K-$20K on a 312R and especially $25K on a 312RR. Worst case scenario, you ride with your friends and they laugh at you when you can't keep up with them and just spent $18K on a bike. Best case scenario, you keep up with them and then they said, their $13K bike keeps up with your $18K bike. Then, they'll top it off by saying, "well, at least it's a pretty bike - even if it's a 10 year old design."

So, why would I buy a MV Agusta, Ducati or any exotic? Because regardless of how fast any Japanese bikes are, only one has made me go into my garage at 3 a.m. in the morning and say "sigh". That bike was a 2004 R1. Speed is cheap but emotional appeal is hard to find (but nothing that two cracked radiators and 30 days in the shop can't drain dry :laughing: -but I digress).

Oh, one last thing, let's say in 2010 the new MV Agusta whops the Japanese liter bikes with a 200hp engine and 415 wet weight. How long till the Japanese bikes catch up -one or two years? Those bike get redesigned very 2-3 years because at $13K, their target market can usually pay it most if it off and get a new bike within another 2-3 years. With the MV, if they upgrade the bike every year (like then did from 2006 to present) then they ruin resale value and piss off the niche market who usually buys the bike. Also, if you want to talk 312 resale value, before I bought the 1198, I asked Pro Italia the hypothetical question, "if I came to you today to trade in a 312R, how much would you give me?" Their answer was $13K because they can get a new one and resell it for $18K. Just another thing to think about before you pull the trigger on a 312R.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts