MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is probably so simple it's not funny, but here goes....

The air vent on the right hand side of my fuel tank seems to have lost a screw to hold it firmly in place. As such it now moves slighlty & vibrates as you accelerate.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to access the screw that holds it all together. I can see that it's under the fuel tank, at the front near the key, but can't get to it.

Your advice is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi,
From my own experience, you need to remove the lower side panels (pop out and slide out) remove both seats and remove/lift and prop up petrol tank. Each air vent is held in by two very small screws, mine fell out when I lifted the petrol tank so keep an eye out for it. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Remove both seats
Remove rear side panels - you need 4mm all en key, 4 bolts for each panel
Remove ignition key surrounding- 2 bolts
Remove main tank bolts- 5mm allen key needed
Remove side panels - pull the front end to the side and then slide them back a bit(when putting them back on, grease the joints a bit)
Use 5mm allen key to unbolt the bolt with rubber on tank bracket
Use 8 mm socket for removing 4 bolts on tank brackets-two bolts on each side.
Remove tank brackets now

Now you need another person(well the easiest way is with two persons)
have one lift the tank while you disconnect the fuel lines and fuel pump electric connector and ventilating hoses.
Tank comes off.
Now you can see the 2.5 allen bolts for removing the intake cover.

Put everything back together.

Get yourself a beer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bloody hell!

And I thought there was a simple little trick that I couldn't work out........

Thanks so much for your info.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Also if you havent read it already, be very carefull when lifting the tank, the plastic elbow fuel connectors are very weak and crap, and will crack if the tank is lifted too high before being disconnected.
could be a good time to get some carbon ones??

James

·
Registered
147 Posts
my 910S did that. drove me FUCKIN' nuts, until i improvised by shoving a generous sliver of the cork from a wine bottle between the aluminum piece and the frame and put an end to the errant vibes. i think it was an '82 Mouton, but i'm sure cork from any of the first growths of that era will work just as well.
:smoking:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again all,

One little thing......

When you say "lift the tank" are you talking about completely removing the thing, or simply lifting it a few inches to gain access?
Does the tank need to be drained first, or can it still be done with two people & a gentle lift of a few centimetres?

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
You need to remove the tank from the bike. A good rule of thumb is to have the tank as empty as possible any time you remove it simply because it's easier to manuever it around. I always use this an excuse to go for a ride first :yo:
Also, when you remove the fuel connectors from the tank you will have some gas spill out, so don't get freaked out........I usually just put a rag under the connectors before disconeecting the fuel lines.

·
Registered
217 Posts
fuggall, I just read this, and my isht is being held on with some tape right now... after reading thru the entire procedure, I think I'll just keep on using the tape. ridiculous Italian engineering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts