1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Well...I would say that it is a good deal. If I would be in your position I would buy it. The ultimate F4.
More power and more torque. Than any other one...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Another biased 1078RR312 owner here. Definitely the best of the first generation F4's; excluding the Tambo & CC of course. $17k seems high if you're buying it to ride. If zero miles is accurate, you can probably plan on replacing every oil seal on the bike before riding it.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Does the additional 70cc make a big difference in acceleration, top speed, power delivery?

Is engine displacement the only difference or are there more goodies on the 1078?

Sorry for the questions but is this example a good deal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MV-AGUSTA-F4-1078-RR-/151251887080?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item233750a3e8

0 miles according to the ad but a bit expensive at $17K isnt it?
Depending on where in the world you are, that price is not to bad. Now they are called the F4 312RR because of the 1078 engine as you know already, but they also have mono-block brakes.
Slightly better suspension and fuelling as well as bigger throttle bodies, making for a very powerfull beast, still one of the most powerfull rad bikes I have ever ridden in anger.

If zero miles is accurate, you can probably plan on replacing every oil seal on the bike before riding it.
Why ? Surely not.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Why ? Surely not.
Dry rot. Seals can dry out and crack when not kept moist by oil circulating around them; went through that with multiple seals on mine. Of course, I'm making an assumption the an '09 bike with zero miles has not been started and run in five years.

Then again, I could be wrong. I'm interested in hearing from those more mechanically inclined than me (which shouldn't be uncommon). :popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Dry rot. Seals can dry out and crack when not kept moist by oil circulating around them; went through that with multiple seals on mine. Of course, I'm making an assumption the an '09 bike with zero miles has not been started and run in five years.

Then again, I could be wrong. I'm interested in hearing from those more mechanically inclined than me (which shouldn't be uncommon). :popcorn:
Oh you're probably right in some aspects, just a bit extreme in saying all seals will have to be replaced. It also depends heavily on what kind of climate the bike was kept in etc.
Many a bike on the forum have come out of storage with nothing but fuel line replacements as well as tyre and other minor fluid changes.

·
Vendor
5,281 Posts
Does the additional 70cc make a big difference in acceleration, top speed, power delivery?

Is engine displacement the only difference or are there more goodies on the 1078?

Sorry for the questions but is this example a good deal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MV-AGUSTA-F4-1078-RR-/151251887080?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item233750a3e8

0 miles according to the ad but a bit expensive at $17K isnt it?
I think the price is good seeing I paid $32,000.00 for my 1078 in 2010,same colour as mine too.You will be very happy with the bike,they are a monster.:mouthwate

·
Registered
517 Posts
Oh you're probably right in some aspects, just a bit extreme in saying all seals will have to be replaced. It also depends heavily on what kind of climate the bike was kept in etc.
Many a bike on the forum have come out of storage with nothing but fuel line replacements as well as tyre and other minor fluid changes.
True and true; saying "every oil seal" was a bit of an overstatement. And right again, climate does make a big difference. With mine, multiple years of storage in a hot Florida garage must have taken its toll on many of the seals.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My 1000R sat for 4 years inside w/climate control, 68 miles on the clock.
Have 4000 miles on it now, no leaks, no issues.

Ed :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for the replies everyone

Your responses have made me 101% certain that I want either a 1078 or an Ago.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else feel that the graphics on the 312R and 312RR makes them look like a Japanese motorcycle? MV should have stuck to the classic design

Classic in my opinion as against this:

·
Registered
517 Posts
On an unrelated note, does anyone else feel that the graphics on the 312R and 312RR makes them look like a Japanese motorcycle?
:shitfan::stir::cussing:
OH HELL NO!!!

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Had the same thing in the beginning, but now I think it looks so much nicer!!

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
:shitfan::stir::cussing:
OH HELL NO!!!
Michael, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I'm thinking the same as K916....I know the Brutie 1078 is a "better" motorcycle than the 910R, but I can't get past the weird (as I see it) graphics and type face on the 1078.... Which is the same as your 312. I think the earlier 750 and 910S Bruties are prettier, but not nearly as competent as the 910R. Ergo, I think the earliest, star wheel versions of the Brutie and F4 are more attractive than the later, more competent versions of said same bikes.

But, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
It is interesting as the 1078 graphics really changed the look of the bike. The 312R, 998 version, didn't have as much of a visual effect as the 312RR.

Ad for looking more "Japanese"...no. But the combination of ultra-light wheels and graphics package did move away from that iconic look.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
If it makes any difference to whomever...

The total of F4 1078RRs imported into the US is lower than any other models of any other year. Rarest of the rare. Fewer than 50, including all three colors in both seating configurations. Monos are most rare, by far.

Graphics be damned, though it's the neon red stripes/lettering instead of a brighter red that looks a bit odd. But by specification, it's the best non-LE first-gen F4.

Other than a Senna I, I'd personally take the 1078RR over any non-carbon bodywork LE or kit; and definitely over any other non-LE (just ahead of a blue/silver '05-'06 1000S). That means before a Senna II, Ago, SPR, or Corse. After CC, Tamburini, Serie Oro, Viper SP-01, or Mamba SP-03.

I love the 1078RR. It's the PIG.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts