MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe an MV forum isn't the place to start this discussion, but how did you start riding? And what drew you to it and keeps you on the bike? What is the best way to start?

I'm a late bloomer at 37. I started last year at the prompting of a friend who wanted to go dirt riding. I got licensed and immediately was hooked. I think dirt is the best place to learn to ride. Then I got the BMW, and ended up craving speed and stability in the turns. That's how I ended up with the Brutale. Since my feet barely reach the ground while standing, the low-ish seat height, narrow design, and low weight give me enough confidence on the bike.

I only wish I had started earlier in life. If I were ever to breed, I'd definitely have a garage of bikes for the kids.

Also, any ladies out there, please share your stories.

·
Registered
312 Posts
mloyllo said:
What is the best way to start?
1 : pull leg over bike
2 : turn key in on position
3 : start your bike
:king:

just kidding

rule nr 1 :
keep in mind : you drive where you look
rule nr 2 :
take it easy, never go over your own limits from the first time, take the time to know your bike and his habbits

reading stuff :
- Twist of the wrist part I & II (or better go to the school if possible)

other tricks :
- go riding with a person who has good experience and who you can rely on (trust) : learn with your eyes while riding after him/her . Ask the person to drive after you for a while and let him tell you what he/her thinks needs adjustment (position on bike, taking corners,....)
- ride, ride , ride the beauty but always try to learn something new
its no use if you driving with a blank head and never want to change your driving skills/habbits

hope this helps a little

·
Registered
403 Posts
Blackie said a very true thing: ride with someone you trust.
That means to ride not with the fastest guy/girl you know, but with the one who have the patience to ride on constant speed, to show you the best lines, the one you're easy to follow. If you stop and you're too scared or tired, then he's not the one for you.

In my personal opinion take a one/two day course in a good riding school, sometimes friends don't know driving techniques or don't know useful tricks to ride correctly.

I've read somewhoere that learning to ride on motorbikes it's something like a money investment: in the beginning you have to invest almost all your money (money stands for "thinking about") on correct lines, driving position, braking correctly. Only after all these became natural and instinctive, then you can add more speed. So your investment is 10% about above things and 90% on speed.
;)

P.S. Don't worry about being a old bloomer: I started at 32 and I've got some friends who started at 40. Now they're competing on european racing female championship, after only 4 years :smoking:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
mloyllo said:
Maybe an MV forum isn't the place to start this discussion, but how did you start riding? And what drew you to it and keeps you on the bike? What is the best way to start?

I'm a late bloomer at 37. I started last year at the prompting of a friend who wanted to go dirt riding. I got licensed and immediately was hooked. I think dirt is the best place to learn to ride. Then I got the BMW, and ended up craving speed and stability in the turns. That's how I ended up with the Brutale. Since my feet barely reach the ground while standing, the low-ish seat height, narrow design, and low weight give me enough confidence on the bike.

I only wish I had started earlier in life. If I were ever to breed, I'd definitely have a garage of bikes for the kids.

Also, any ladies out there, please share your stories.

i wonder how big that garage would be for the kids, once you had them....
fear for your children is a universal emotion...
you just never know

me......
i started as a teenager...
my dad always discouraged our riding
i only found out later that he was in motorcycle gang in Brooklyn in the 40s and 50s and saw his best friend ride into a wall and die..... you can imagine how THAT stays with you for life

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Wow, so you're the other MV person in Arizona huh? I always introduce myself is the "other" MV to whoever I know, even though I know of maybe 8 or 10 of them.

My dad bought us a 1970 Honda ATC 90 when we were kids. This was 1978 or so (I was 5). Rode that until 1983 when I got a "real" one, the ATC200x. We rode exclusively in sand down on the beach in Mexico.

Dad thought that motorcycles would be too dangerous. Not really sure why, but that was what happened. I became proficient in riding those things, but not the fastest of my friends. But I could do lots of stuff and go pretty fast.

In about 1987, my step-dad got a Honda XL250 that I was only allowed to ride off road. So of course, it came down to the beach in deep sand. With the street oriented tires, it didn't work so well but nobody told me that so I just learned to be a sand rider on it. It was heavy and slow. That right there I think was key in building my ability as a racer. There was NEVER a time that the XL250 was going in a straight line on the sand! It helps to be out of control to know what in control is, which you can really only safely do on a dirt bike.

Had a Ninja 750 from '92 on until '99 when I got the R1. Got the MV in '02 and did my first race that year on the R1. Found out I could win novice races. Went expert in '03, bought a ZX-6RR and started earning expert numberplates. Basically quit in '05 due to lack of funds and moving house and all that. Have been riding the MV on the track off and on since I've owned it.

Bought a 996 race bike in late '05 to try to make a run at the '06 season. Blew it up in the first race in February, so here I am still rebuilding it...

I don't ride too much on the street anymore. I'm looking for a commuter bike though. My wife just asked why I don't use the MV for that, and it's becuase it feels like it wants to go 160 mph (which I've done on it), not 35 mph. It's hard not to break laws on it, and it's only a 750! And I need a dirt bike so I can learn how to ride again...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
My father was a motorcyclist. I was always riding in front or behind him when I was a kid.

I grew up in an Asian city of ~15 million and I was one of those scooter kids. Motorcycles were a natural progression.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Started a little over 2 years ago. Honda Deauville was the first ride. This was in London, loved touring.
Got an FJR a year later. went all over the continent..... ~30,000 miles in my 1.5 years there.

1 year in japan and i've found myself with a couple MVs as well and just getting started.......

:conveyer:

·
Registered
339 Posts
It was over 30 years ago but I almost didn't start. My dad was a motorcyclist and rode in a lot of enduros. He bought me a mini bike when I was about 10, and back then you had to assemble them yourself. Well, after completing the assembly in our garage he wanted to take it out for a test run. He proceeded to launch himself right into the side of our aluminum garage door. After a trip to the emergency room and 20+ stitches in my dad's arm, I just knew my mother would never let me ride. Somehow, I talked her into it and convinced her that I would be more careful. OK, I might have told her what she wanted to hear considering I have had my share of accidents, but what can I say, "like father, like son" ha ha. Now I have a 10 year old son with a Yamaha TTR-90 who wants to do Supercross. Oh well, the saga continues . . . .

·
Registered
479 Posts
Dad bought an ATC 110 when I was 8. It was ultimately left at the Grandparent's ranch and we rode it non-stop whenever we visited.

I got my first two wheeler, a YZ 80, when I was 13 or 14 when we moved from the Bay Area to a rural area. We lived on two acres and behind our house was a creek system that went for miles. Friends and I used to ride our bikes to each other's houses and "build" tracks anywhere we could.

First streetbike when I was 18 or 19 (after going to war with my Mom as I still lived at home).

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was eight and if you check the General forum you will see my first motorized bike. I grew up in Italy and was an Agostini fan so it was only natural.

·
Registered
878 Posts
When I was a kid (don't remember the age, like 130+ years ago!), I used to sneak out behind my parents back and rent a Peugeot moped! Then when I got to be in two digit age category, I badly wanted to ride a real bike! So my uncle who was kind of a rebel (and we got along well) and only a few years older than me, went out and rented a Kawa 90 for me. He neglected to tell me what gears and clutch were for!!! :stickpoke So I sat on it, put her in first gear and opened her up...and up,...and up...as the sound of the engine wound up, I thought I was really going fast. The louder it got, the faster I thought I was going...so I just kept it in first gear!!! :drummer: :drummer: Just about a 100 yards short of my retrurn around a few blocks, the engine for some reason decided to shut down!!! :yo: :yo:

So, that was my early introduction to bikes...after that my uncle thought me what gears were for, although it was after putting up a big battle with him over the fact that the first gear should be the most powerful and therefore the fastest gear of all!!! :drummer: :drummer:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Both my parent frowned on owning bikes and they still do but they can't ground me anymore :D

In my teens I learned on a Suzuki RM 125 (Dirt) my best friend and I both owned one and I kept it at his house.

The neighbors "hated" us because they were soooo loud. During college I rode on and off.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
on the dirt, at a very young age. The very first motor said Briggs & Stratton on it. Borrowed dirt bikes and street bikes in High School, and traded my GTO on a perday basis in college. I would ride someone's sportbike for the day, and they could take the GTO out in the afternoon into the early evening. Sweet trade!

I borrowed and traded for time on bikes until 1995 when I finally had saved up enough money to buy a motorcycle, Honda's VFR750f. THAT is when I really started riding.

For anyone who could possibly be reading this for instructional reasons, the ONLY thing that I know for sure, learning to ride on the dirt was the most valuable part of my personal riding education.

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree!

twoeleven said:
For anyone who could possibly be reading this for instructional reasons, the ONLY thing that I know for sure, learning to ride on the dirt was the most valuable part of my personal riding education.

Griff
twoeleven
I absolutely agree about dirt riding and thanks to all for sharing your start on motorcycles!

As kids, my cousins had dirt bikes but the boys just hogged them. In high school, I rode a scooter in Italy and bought another one in Hawaii. I thought they were "cool" because they looked more like motorcycles than Vespas....

When I started last year, I did follow a lot of riders to get used to cornering speed, late-apex turning, etc. And I've read a ton of David Hough books, taken classes, etc. Next step is to get on the track (after I get some sliders)....

I love hearing the childhood stories and dreams. Thanks for sharing. Mostly I just wanted to hear everyone's passion for riding....

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
It started at a friends place when I was 7yrs old. His parents had a mushroom farm, though now suburbia it was 30mins from the city but here back then it was the country....And on this farm they had some...Honda's e i e i o :loser: :) ... a couple of XR75's to be exact and a lot of mushrooms.

As he was an only child and one of my closest friends we spent many a weekend together over the years alternating between our parents houses. I still remeber very clearly my first ride...I had trouble changing gears and on my return leg instead of braking I accelerated into a shed...what a natural :king: ...uninjured and unphased my desire to learn remained intact and between that visit and the next I practiced changing gears at home on a towel rack to get the action smooth...and it worked a treat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I came to biking late and thought a Vespa would be cool. 5 years later and, well, one thing led to another. Doh!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Bit like JamesC; both Dad and my elder brother and sister were into bikes, so I suppose it was inevitable I would follow suit. :) 1st bike a BSA Bantam when I was about 7 or 8 so I suppose I've got 40 years riding in the bank now. :jsm: I'm not sure whether to celebrate or be sad that so much time has passed (seemingly) in the blink of an eye. :bawling:

·
Registered
22 Posts
First time on a bike I was 11. Neighbor got a 100cc Yam. Don't remember what model, but it had dirt tires. Tore up his back yard, had my first crash doing a wheelie in his driveway. Decided I needed motorized wheels. Another buddy and myself saved up 50 bucks between us and bought a rat Vespa (this was 1967). Rode that until the local cops busted us for driving without a license. Had to sell the Vespa. Bought a Honda ATC 90 (with father's permission) about a year later. Crashed that doing jumps at the beach over sand dunes. Decided I needed a real dirt bike and got a Bultaco. Rode that for a few years and got a Suzuki Katana in 1981 for school transport. Now I was addicted to speed. Crashed the Suzuki (dump truck in my lane on a mountain twisty). Went through several cafe type bikes over the next few years including 71 Triumph Bonneville, BMW R90 bitsa, 73 Norton Commando. Got married and quit riding for a while. Guy at work got a Ducati 916. Had to have an Italian bike. Got a SS900 sp. Got the retro bug and added a New Triumph Bonneville to the stable. OK, but retro tech as well as looks. Had a lowside on that in some gravel in an apex so I sold it. Now I must have the Brutale. I don't know why, but I can't get it out of my head. The Duc is nice, but she's not an MV Agusta. For further reading, I recommend "Song of the Sausage Creature" by Hunter S. Thompson. Here's a link

http://www.proitalia.com/reviews/hst.html

Cheers,

Vince

1 - 19 of 19 Posts