·
Registered
1,389 Posts
:jsm: That's just sad.

We should all bow our heads and pray

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
That unfortunately is the MV's ultimate Achilles heel, supposedly 'fixed' by the 312R, from memory it is caused by the oil pump pick up not picking up at high rpm

·
Administrator
20,343 Posts
From the looks of the rod end cap mating surfaces, looks to me like the rod bolts let go and the cap came off!! Incorrect torque at assembly? or defective bolts. Usually only one will break, but this looks like the cap just came off.
Not lubrication related....no signs of heat.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
From the looks of the rod end cap mating surfaces, looks to me like the rod bolts let go and the cap came off!! Incorrect torque at assembly? or defective bolts. Usually only one will break, but this looks like the cap just came off.
Not lubrication related....no signs of heat.
Do you not think there is a small area of discolouration right in the middle of the rod machined area?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Ed is right. The rod is doomed.

·
Registered
456 Posts
so is that what happens whene someone says they "blew a rod" or "threw a rod" ?

it it referring to a piston connecting rod that breaks or a valve rod on the old type of v'8 pushrod engines?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
That unfortunately is the MV's ultimate Achilles heel, supposedly 'fixed' by the 312R, from memory it is caused by the oil pump pick up not picking up at high rpm

Hi Mike,

Does this mean that pre 312 R, F4s are vulnerable to this happening ?

Cheers

joe

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I have not seen too many 1000R's do this, but i might be wrong. But I have seen quite a few 1078's do this, some quite recently with very low mileage.
:ahhh:
That's horrible Donsy!
How dare you put that picture and thought in my head about 1078's

Let's go back to not knowing who or which bike it is. But assuming its an older F4 please.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Hi Mike,

Does this mean that pre 312 R, F4s are vulnerable to this happening ?

Cheers

joe
As Pete says 'yes' if ridden hard. it seems to be the MV's weak spot, I think Pete said the race teams change the big end bearings every
600k I think.

If you ride your bike hard I would seriously consider a winter rebuild of the bottom end when it gets to 10,000 miles,

Usually when they do this there is nothing salvagable except the head, Like I said it was supposedly fixedfrom 312 onwards although there are exceptions, they even did this in WSS! and BSB

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Mike....the year they ran Kev Curtain on a 312 in the Aussie Superbike Championship, the changed big end bearings every 800-1000km.
Euro Superstock teams were doing the same...

The 312 engines were supposedly better...as the oil entry point to the bottom end was modified from the earlier engines.
I have no proof of this, just what I was told once my 1000s went 'twang'

·
Administrator
20,343 Posts
I have seen a lot of rods and cranks damaged from lack of lubrication....this is not one of them. That slight discoloration in the center of the rod bearing area is the result of the cap coming loose and subsequent drop in oil pressure just prior to the failure. There is not enough heat evident to be lack of oil....this is a mechanical failure. Based on the relatively undamaged surfaces of the rod cap joining area I think the cap just came off....and BANG....hole in cases.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Wouldn't there be a shell bearing on the big end of the connecting rod and maybe it has disintegrated so there appears to be no damage to the bearing area???? (Which is really not the bearing area at all!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts