MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
re Nobby Clark

of all people to fuck with;
Nobby Clark
"For 25 years, Clark was one of the world's leading motorcycle race mechanics. In addition to 17 FIM Grand Prix World Titles, earned in classes ranging from 50cc to 500cc, he won three Daytona 200s, one Daytona 100, four Imola 200s and eight Italian championships working with some of the greatest motorcycle racers in history." and thats what the AMA said about Nobby:wtf:

Nobby helped 3 of my friends win those world titles Mike, Bazza and Paroni

i hope this snowballs....unfortunately a lot of the big names are no longer with us, but i know they are rolling over in their graves

i'll do my little part.....just took my AMA Race Mechanic's License #0091 down from where its been hanging since '79, with Daytona stamped all over it

think i'll tape it to a brick with a note "We won the Daytona 200 in spite of you assholes.....here's my license, stuff it"

i sincerely hope everyone withdraws their name......

here in SoCal there is more than one person that can cause a stampede......:naughty::naughty::naughty: no, not me, but i know who can:smoking:

Peter, thank you for bringing this to our attention

·
Administrator
20,004 Posts
my my my....I think I may have finally read a valid explanation of what has transpired. I had read lots of opinions, but was wondering just what the true facts were.

Seems much knee jerking in response to a poorly done press release by the AMA which never revealed the facts.

OK, I'm good with it all now.

·
Super Moderator
22,445 Posts
Wow, just Wow.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
That is what I would like to know.

·
Registered
879 Posts
MV Theft

Oh, Oh! The theft included MV Agusta parts.

All joking aside, the crime was directly related to motorcycles, the very entity he was trying to be recognized by. He was caught steeling, then selling rare parts from his employer, a motorcycle race team. All this occurred when he was in his 60s.

So the question is do you deserve to be recognized by the respective Hall of Fame if you violate the very sanctity of the sport?

·
Super Moderator
22,445 Posts

All joking aside, the crime was directly related to motorcycles, the very entity he was trying to be recognized by. He was caught steeling, then selling rare parts from his employer, a motorcycle race team. All this occurred when he was in his 60s.

So the question is do you deserve to be recognized by the respective Hall of Fame if you violate the very sanctity of the sport?

....ask Pete Rose.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts

The problem is more basic than that and doesn't even relate to the criminal history. There were four other people who were up for the nomination and each of them did not get the fair process. Obviously Renfro and Saarinen are dead so nobody is coming to their defense but what about Rob Muzzy, John Long or Lance Weil? The only way that it is fair to ALL is to keep the process so that everyone gets a fair shake. Clark got the nomination when he shouldn't have even been considered. The only names that the committee should have seen were Renfro and Saarinen and ultimately those where the ones who were wronged. The AMA Hof made a mistake and they did what they should have done, corrected it. As far as Clark's name being dragged through the mud, well he did that on his own when he decided to engage in criminal activities.

·
Administrator
20,004 Posts
This is an informative article ....much reading by many authors if you keep going. Evidently quite a few living members are now returning their medals:

http://www.motohistory.net/news.html

Klamforth, Smith, Emde, the list is growing. Youngblood's indictment of Rob and Stan is warranted IMHO.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Interesting

Interesting read. However, there is one thing missing in every argument supporting Clarke - addressing/acknowledging the 800 LBS gorilla in the room - his crime.

The supporters are pointing out the fact that everything should be open and clear while bringing up past accomplishments. However, they are falling into their own trap. Much like the initial story broke, it started out slanted - no mention of criminal background associated to motorcycle history.

I am no where near making a decision on this, but up to this point, some people (who I think highly of) are knee-jerk reacting. If you want to support him acknowledge his failures and accomplishments.

·
Administrator
20,004 Posts
Ah...but his crime has been acknowledged....and there are existing HOF members who have criminal pasts including felony convictions and time spent in jail.....such things as selling drugs, criminal assault (nearly killed a man with a baseball bat), theft. Some of these are much worse than Clarke's failure.

....Clarke has confessed, apologized and goods were recovered.

The criminal background is not the reason for the debate.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hmmm

All good points. I'm just having a hard time identifying what exactly occurred wrt the AMA's decision. I concur that others have committed crimes and in this case the person in question admitted culpability and did the time.

However, as mentioned earlier - Pete Rose. Had Pete been guilty of betting on anything other than baseball, he would have been inducted into the Hall of Fame. Pete is not in the HoF because he bet on baseball.

Comparisons do nothing more than convolve, as I've clearly demonstrated above. When I strip that away and look at this as a stand-alone, I can't get over the fact that he violated the sanctity he represented. What might help sway my opinion is if someone stepped up and defended him utilizing his accomplishments and his criminal past without comparing him to others.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

LiquidWhy:

go watch the movie "On Any Sunday" again...... those people are exemplified by Bugs....Dick Mann

back then, the AMA was the American Motorcycle Association......it was an self serving industry TOOL/guys club.....NO SHIT......they were so worried about their IMAGE they changed the name to the American Motorcyclist Association.....

Dean Adams derogatory comments do nothing to improve the HoF/AMA's image or integrity

Bugs;
"July 12, 2012

Motorcycle Hall of Fame
13515 Yarmouth Dr.
Pickerington, OH 43147

Enclosed is the medal I received when I was inducted in the AMA Hall Of Fame in 1998. This is in response to the mismanagement of the HOF Directors of the induction/non-induction of Nobby Clark.

I was one of the original committee members involved in organizing the current Hall of Fame. Lately, I have watched this organization slide into mediocrity, apparently from the lack leadership and knowledge of the history of our sport.

Due to Nobby Clark’s contributions to the sport of motorcycles, it is my opinion there is no one more deserving of being inducted in the HOF. Since that is not going to happen, I no longer want to be considered a part of the Hall of Fame.

Sincerely,

Dick Mann

AMA #59858"

and Kenny Roberts said the same thing!!!!!!!

i do not know Dick Mann, i was pitted next to Kenny Roberts at Laguna in '78, I have never met him......

BUT; they are right.......I know Nobby

i just donated to the Daytona 200 Monument fund for a granite plaque and likeness of Nobby......

got a nice email today from Bev Klamfoth.....Dick, her husband, won Daytona 3 times......i sent him the money, wasn't much, sorry

as to those who have passed.......I will stand up for my friends.....
haven't made a single phone call or written a letter......yet :naughty::naughty:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts