MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here got one?

My local dealer has a nice used example. :) I miss having a big V twin in the garage, :bawling: I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on them, especially if you've owned a big Duke or Aprillia in the past too. BTW this is as well as (not instead of the MV) I can't imagine life without a F4 now. :jsm:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I love them, especcially with some nice pipes and suspension upgrades, they are the one of the coolest road bikes Handa has ever produced.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I have a 2000 which I have owned since I purchased new. I have done a lot of upgrades to the bike and actually really like the bike. As delivered they need some work, mainly in the suspension department, but put some wheels on it and get the suspension done and the bike is awesome.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
They feel super, super heavy to me when riding.

This is one that I'm kind of thinking of:

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/1/0/84542310.htm

I just can't swing it right now though, and with 10k miles, if there are any signs of abuse at all, it's a no deal.

But these bikes are cool. Even the standard ones are really great with a few hundred or a thousand bucks into the suspension.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I had one for the track never road it on the street. It was a lot of fun and yeah, great, great sound. It's no powerhouse and it is a pig. but still a lot of fun.

I had an Aprilia Mille too. that one was a bit taller, had more torque and a pretty small tank for street riding.

I'm tired of being hunched over on the street. Getting old I guess. I kind of fancied a Tuono Racer for awhile, but never did pick one up. Still think it would have been fun though. I don't care much for the front of the new Tuono.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I've never owned or riden one, but if you want a V-Twin (i know what it is to miss one :) ) i say go with a Duc or an Aprilia before the SP1.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Of all the Jap bikes, they are IMO, the ones with the most character, and not too shabby in the performance dept, especially for being essentially unchanged for nearly a decade....even moreso than an RC30 IMO...but it is starting to look dated, whereas the MV still looks badass.

With some Sato's (both exhaust and rearsets) all the little free mods you can do, a PC3, and a BMC, those things are BEASTS....it is afterall, the bike I almost got before I got my MV...

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Here is my 2005 RC-51, Sato Lows and PCIIIusb.

2005 RC-51

With these light mods, and a snappier rear sprocket, the thing has come to life. What an amazing machine for the canyons. It really needs about 5mm increase to the rear end, which you can do by shimming the shock (although then the nut barely hangs on, go 3-4mm), or by doing it right and swapping the rear shock.

Also, in the media section, check out "Virtual Ortega", a little on-board number from my RC...

GET ONE!!!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I'll give you my thorough opinion on the bike (rc51) both it's strengths and weaknesses.

Bone stock:

As delivered from the factory the suspension was harsh which really made for an uncomfortable ride. The stock gearing is pretty tall in first which combined with the lean jetting down low makes the bike difficult to ride when negotiating slow turns and around parking lots. Clutch pull is a little heavy considering it is hydraulic but it's pretty easy to launch the bike. The cockpit is racy with the bars close together and the pegs fairls close to the seat (not a lot of legroom). The riding position reminds me a lot of my tz250.

Dialing in the stock suspension helps with the ride quality, but at best the ride is still harsh.

Simple mods:
I think the first mods I would recomend to anyone are to change the stock gearing to make 1st a little lower. I think I am running 15/43 which makes it a lot easier to control the throttle when negotiating the slow stuff. A powercomander is also a very good mod to improve the throttle response. Changing the geometry on the bike works wonders for the way the bike feels. Raising the forks in the tubes along with some added ride height in the rear make the bike steer great. Changing the 190 rear to a 180 also greatly helps the handling.There are other mods (pair, flapper etc) that don't really yield much.

Other mods:
I would definitely change the rear shock since the oem showa is a POS. You can have the forks revalved and resprung to improve the front. There are many options available, just need to know someone who is good. I chose to upgrade to full Ohlins front and back really because I got a great deal on the forks and some forged mag wheels. Wheels are also a big improvement to the bike with the front yielding the most benifit in terms of handling. You can also change the suspension link to Moriwaki (dan kyle sells a link he basically copied from moriwaki), but it isn't a big improvement. I also changed the mastercylinder to a radial master to improve the brake feel. The one other mod I have done is to install a slipper clutch but it is not necessary for street duty, just nice to have if the ride is spirited.

The way my bike is set-up it is absolutely on rails. Steering is light and the bike has very neutral behavior.

How does it stack up?
It wont ever beat a well riden I-4. It was meant to do battle with the 998 series Ducati and I think it would easily be a better buy than a 998 (although styling is better on the 998). I've ridden both an older mille and the latest generation mille (non-R model). The older model Mille was very tall, had a crappy clutch and notchy transmission. I really disliked the riding position a lot. The newer Mille is much closer to the RC51 than it's predecessor. It has a longer reach to the bars than the RC so It may be suited a little more towards taler riders (i'm 5'11"). It had a really nice motor, very linear throughout the powerband, and it pulled well. The bottom of the line suspension was very compliant, although the bike I rode was poorly set-up exhibiting excessive dive during braking. The four pad brembos were a bit grabby and the brake dive accentuated the grabbyness. Combined it made the bike a bit difficult to get into a corner well. I felt like the suspension could be dialed in to remedy the problem, although I never got the opportunity. Given the choice between buying another RC and putting the money into wheels and suspension versus buying a mille factory, I might lean toward the factory although the rc becomes VERY good once dialed in. I havent ridden a 999 so I don't have first hand knowledge from the cockpit. My friend has an '04 999s and it has a little more power. He doesn't ride it hard, so I can't say whether or not it handles better or not.

Anyway, just my opinion hope it helps.
Rob

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Time long ago when the RC51 was coming onto the showroom floor. I put a deposit on one and wait a good six months for it to arrive. 6 months of anticipation all washed away by 5 minutes of running and close inspection of the bike. Later on, I had a chance to test a sample at the track, glad I didn't buy one. I am sure it could be improved from stock form but it was so vanilla, typical of Honda products.

I currently have a few twins in the garage (ie., Duc 996, Duc 999R, Aprilia Mille Factory, Bimota SB8R (My Aprilia RS250 Challenge Cup 2-stroke doesn't count)) and I am happy the RC51 is not a part of that collection. :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Many thanks for all the replies guys. I suppose I'm looking at the RC51 as a cheaper alternative to a 998 just to get my V Twin fix. My friend still has his 996 and he's talking about changing to a 998 so I can exorcise my V twin demons from time to time, but there's no substitute for having your own bike and at around 60% of the price of a 998. the Honda seems like a fair option to me.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
While only you know what is best for your situation, John, may I be as forward as to say that buying a cheaper twins to substitute for a Ducati twins is the equivalence of having shrimp versus lobster. If you think any kind of twins will do then the RC51 is more than fit the bill. If you think the RC51 is a cheap alternative to a Ducati twins, then I think you are making a mistake. :) Not even my Aprilia Mille Factory is a good alternative to my Ducati twins. It isn't that the Ducati twins is super special twins or such, if you yearn after a Ducati twins' experience, don't substitute.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ARCHILLE said:
:) Not even my Aprilia Mille Factory is a good alternative to my Ducati twins. It isn't that the Ducati twins is super special twins or such, if you yearn after a Ducati twins' experience, don't substitute.
Perhaps you are right David, I do miss my old 996, but I would buy a 998 if I was going for another Duke and they are simply out of my price range at the moment. :bawling: I think I've got to twist my local dealers arm and get a ride on the RC51 before I commit. :stickpoke In an ideal world I would have both a 998 and my MV but I cannot justify having money tied up in two such expensive toys when my wife would like a new car and so would my daughter (just turned 17 aaaargggh!!!!) :banghead:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
100% agree with what Archille said, although the bike I rode was nothing too special (mostly stock), and I didn't get to ride it too hard. Felt way too heavy, and it didn't inspire any particular confidence.

Archille's Mille Factory is a freakin sweet bike, twice the bike that the RC-51 was. It's lively, inspires you, punishes you, wheelies while spinning the back tire, etc.

The Ducati makes you feel like you aren't worthy of it. You seemingly can't over ride it, it's just going to laugh at anything you do to it. All the while you are going faster than you ever went, without realizing it.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
John, a properly set-up RC is a very good bike. Stock they need a little tweaking but considering you can pick up a well set-up RC with Ohlins, wheels etc for $8-9K. Try to get a ride on one if you can. You can also send me an email directly [email protected] if you'd like any questions answered.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
john said:
Perhaps you are right David, I do miss my old 996, but I would buy a 998 if I was going for another Duke and they are simply out of my price range at the moment. :bawling: I think I've got to twist my local dealers arm and get a ride on the RC51 before I commit. :stickpoke In an ideal world I would have both a 998 and my MV but I cannot justify having money tied up in two such expensive toys when my wife would like a new car and so would my daughter (just turned 17 aaaargggh!!!!) :banghead:
Keep us posted as to how the test ride went, John! :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts