·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
oh my... :jsm:

I think this guy went to the Brian Wells school of; if a lot is good more is better.

http://youtu.be/QqVihKMpJu0
Thanks for posting Stephen...and for the mention:)
Yeah he did a great job on that....,
It is a very old kit (early 70's)...,in 1/6th scale.

The manufacturer (Tamiya) did a whole series of what where 'Iconic' or landmark motorcycles at that time in in 1/6th scale...however they did produce some 'Dubious'? ones (Honda CX 600 turbo...,Yamaha 1100 'Black lightning...,monkey bike..,etc).

I'd have loved them to have produced real iconic bikes instead of those such as the Kawasaki Z 900..,or BSA rocket goldstar..,etc but it wasn't to be as they ceased production of these large scale model motorcycle kits decades ago.

I do however have in my loft many of the more (in my view) important kits..., including the Honda CB750 you see here....in fact they released a number of 'versions' including a 'Police' version and a 'Race version' which I have also.

As I say he did a great job..,I note he 'disguised' the 'scar' left on the polished metal finished engine casing after cutting it from the kit 'sprue' with a small piece of 'Bare metal foil'...I would have used a Chrome 'paint' from 'Alclad' or 'Spaz Stix ...in fact I'd respray all the polished metal parts (wheel rims etc) using either of these products.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm9fqk2CfzY

He did exactly as I would have done and 're spoked' the wheels using stainless steel rod.

Almost tempts me to 'Pay my loft a visit'!!:)
Brian.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting Stephen...and for the mention:)
< snip >
Almost tempts me to 'Pay my loft a visit'!!:)
Brian.
Hey no problem Brian. Credit where credit is due and all that.

I love Tamiya, they do such great work. I used to get Tamiya calendars every Christmas but I haven't seen one for sale in years. Their photographers are among the best. Formula One, sports cars and Grand Prix bikes. Funny, I never got a World Rally calendar. :wtf:

Oh please, please pay your loft a visit. And do take lots of photos to document the construction. Or should I say, reconstruction, as I believe that you'll make lots of subtle and not so subtle changes. :yo:

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I've still a few of their old catalogues from 'my younger days' Stephen. Must dig them out purely out of 'Nostalgia'.
Scary thing is though when you check out their 'Latest new release' in one of those catalogues that you remembered so well and wanted real bad ....., and then realise that catalogue is from 1973!!!!

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I was in my loft earlier this week Brian. I was thinking I have way too many models up there and feeling mildly eccentric with it all.

Now I feel much better ha ha !

Joe

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Mildly eccentric? Only mildly?

·
Old Wing Nut
22,164 Posts
I have a few models I have been storing away, waiting for that time when I decide to build them.

Attachments

·
Old Wing Nut
22,164 Posts
This one may be first...

Attachments

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Ed's newly married now...who's he kidding?

·
Old Wing Nut
22,164 Posts
Ed's newly married now...who's he kidding?
That Roberts model is on its third Randy.....I know you're probaly right. :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
24,102 Posts
Ed, as in my case...the third is the charm. There are things you can do now that you couldn't before!

·
Super Moderator
24,102 Posts
On another note, I remember building a Tamiya Honda CB750 kit, as a kid, where I had to assemble the chain link-by-link, pin-by-pin. The wheels turned on their axles and the chain did what a chain does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts