·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I did it when I was younger and it blew our heads off. Get some good quality brewing mix and look up a local wine brewing club as they can be very helpful. Beware don't give it to anyone before you've tried it yourself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I do home brew, partial extracts never moved to all grain because in between rebuilding a bevel drive Ducati, work and riding bikes there isn't enough time.

read this, http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html it gives all the basic info and enough lead up to more complex brewing.

The beginners beer kits are ok but you are basically buying a few plastic barrels and other bits n pieces which can be had much cheaper at you local Bunnings, Wal Mart or whatever they have where you are. Malts yeast etc. you will have to go to the local homebrew shop for.

Please don't try to raise the alcohol level of your basic kit beer with sugars you wind up with a pretty bad tasting unbalanced beer.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
don't try to raise the alcohol level of your basic kit beer with sugars you wind up with a pretty bad tasting unbalanced beer.
I like to point saying to put 20 litres instead of 23 litres, thus raising the alcohol volume and a stronger body of the beer.

From what I understand, more sugar means that the yeast eventually end up swimming in their own waste. This gives you a good headache when you drink it. I might be wrong in my understanding here.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
remember when brewing beer keep everything absolutely clean

my buddy John will make any beer you want, the recipes are out there

he even leaves the bottles upside down until the beer goes in......no airborne contaminants

he's a professional photographer and has his own lab.....

:drummer::drummer::drummer:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I tried before Belgian beer became popular in the US, but nothing comes close to the real (=Belgian) thing. It is easier to replicate the American IPA style beers since they are not as pure and refined to start out with. Now I just run to the store and buy Duvel, Chimay, Delirium Tremens,....
Couldn't be happier :)

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I used to brew my own when I was 21/22. I bought a pressure barrel and a 5 gallon drum and all sorts of gubbins. The house smelt like Ansells in their hayday !

After a couple of months happiness I decided to stop home brewing. Too much booze way too handy 24/7
I had noticed that in the previous week I had drunk an average of 6 pints of ale a night for 7 nights.

A friend of mine said he wanted to do home brew. I gave him all the equipment and asked him never to bring it back to me !

For a young fella who was generally stupid I made a good move there.

I still love a good beer but don't keep it at home in general. If it is in the fridge I will have it...although only a bottle or two at a time.

Why on earth is everything that we love bad for us..? One of life's great mysteries !

joe

·
Old Wing Nut
22,164 Posts
My nephew owns a craft beer shop in Jersey City, just across the river from NYC. He has a good web site and can ship everywhere....

www.thirstyquaker.com/

My son took his home brewing fascination to higher levels. He is a Brewmaster now and just accepted a position in Hawaii at Kona Brewery.......I told him to make sure he finds a place to live that has guest accomodations...

I have learned from these 2 young men that brewing beer is a real chemistry experiment. They have both enjoyed some successes (really good beers) and failures (poured out gallons of shite).

Good luck with your experiments!! :friday:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts