MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a surround sound system in my "theatre room" at home. Let's say the budget is $4-5k, I will be doing the install myself. Brands? Models? Components?

I need input on:

1) HD/THX receiver - Denon? Marantz? McIntosh?
2) speakers - Paradigm?

Thinking of a 5.1 system...... help me pick out a setup.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Did you just use "audiophile" and "home theater" together? Better watch out for the audiophile :flamethro

I have a mid-fi 2 channel set-up that I spent around your price range to get. Parasound Halo preamp and amp, I like them. (the receiver has balanced in/out which I was impressed by for the price) For speakers I have Energy Veritas which I think were replaced by another Energy line now.

Do you have a DVD player you're happy with? Power conditioner?

For sub, I think it's pretty hard to beat REL. If you want musicality and some slam for movies, the Britannia series is great. (though at ~$2k to get in, a bit beyond your listed budget)

If you're willing to go used, some great deals are to be had on audiogon.com.

·
Registered
284 Posts
HT Geek Here

Im new here but have allot of HT experience/ knowledge. I would look into Paradigm, Polk Audio RTi Series and Definitive Tech. All are great brands, Since denon is in your line up check out the 3806, if you have a heart for sony check out the 7100es. Both are excellent products, I personally own the Sony 7100es. As for a good powered sub look into the SVS line up, your budget will definitely allow it. I personally own the SVS PB12 Plus 2( dual 12 inch subs pushed by a 900 watt bash amp).

You may also want to look into going seperates, again your budget allows it, use the denon or whatever AVR you choose and run an external power amp using the receivers preout jacks on the back. Good bang for the buck amps are Outlaw Audio(I have two M2200 Monoblocks driving two RTi12s), Adcom, Parasound, NAD. Good quality cabling is important so look into audioquest, bestdealcables, bluejean cables, cobalt, and of course monster. All of these brands mentioned are of excellent quality. The SVS subs are a force to be reckoned with, search it on the web and you will find a million and one good reviews on the product but let alone their customer support is first class.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions if you have any concerning install, etc. I just upgraded my enitre setup, I did the custom install etc. In the end I spent about 8000.

And dont concern yourself with the THX cert. there are allot of outstanding brands that dont have the THX stamp. You should look into the HD DVD players also, in my pics its a screenshot of Phantom of the Opera in HD DVD on my 61 inch Panny.

By the way what are you using for a display(projector, hd tv, etc)?

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love to read about Audiophile stuff as it is a great passion of mine, too.

After many years I arrived to the conclusion that spending money for Audiophile quality listening to 2 ways music is definitely worth while.

Regarding Home Theatre... I think it might be integrated into a two way audiophile system considering the quality of the majority of DVD that we listen to (only a few are recorded in DTS).

At the end I decided to use a pair of Mid level Denon for DVD reading (Denon 3910) and HT multi-channel amplifier (Denon 4306) with a JBL Sub-Woofer and a Sonus Faber Center (incredible results with voices) for the HT part: nothing special but good enough for the quality of source we can get today. A Fujitsu 42 Inches Plasma Monitor completes the HT part.

The section that I really love is the one relative to "pure" music. I have a complete Electrocompaniet set made of EMC-1 (24 bit 192 KHz), EC 4.7 Preamplifier, AW 120 Class "A" Power Amplifier, all connected through Audioquest Amazon XLR terminated cables. I also have a pair of Tannoy Turnberry Dual Concentric Speakers connected to the AW-120 through a pair of Transparent Music Wave Super cables. The two way "music part" is integrated into the HT part through the pre-out pf the Denon that are connected to the EC 4.7 Pre-Amp so that the Front Speakers are "managed" by the two way high quality set.

So... a choice for Music lovers who, ALSO, want to listen good audio in watching movies.

Sorry if I bored You but if there is some other audiophile... he can understand the passio n behind all this.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
An audiophile would say you might want to add at least one more 0 to your budget if you want a good HT sound system.

I'll have a look for you tomorrow. With this budget second hand is the only way to go, you might get lucky and wind up with something very good for the money.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
FWIW...This gear is all respectable and will give you excellent value for money....remember second hand if budget does not allow.

recievers...Anthem avm30

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTHEM-AVM-30-MINT-CONDITION-New_W0QQitemZ190014463920QQihZ009QQcategoryZ14974QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sunfire Ultimate II

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUNFIRE-ULTIMATE-RECEIVER-II_W0QQitemZ300012250613QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3279QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rotel RSX 1057

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=1632

I'd strongly recommend the Anthem, outstanding value for money.

Speakers I'd be inclined to go with the VON SCHWEIKERT in the HT Speaker Packages at the bottom of the page. If you can scrape up the extra cash go with the V2. For that price with warranty you will be hard pressed to find better value.

As far as players the above mentioned Denon 3910 is great value and I wouldn't be spending any more on a player so close to blu-ray etc coming of age.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What Rockethouse said is true, many audiophiles would think the budget would be too thin, Sunfire and Rotel are two items with very good bang for your buck. I've heard many good systems for similar price so its definately achievable. Have you tried any of the forums, Audiogon maybe? Always good deals on there.

You got some nice gear there Starfighter!!

I really want a top end HT system but everytime I've got some spare cash I end up adding more to my 2 channel or upgrading something. At the moment I've got a Naim frontend with Conrad Johnsons inbetween and Quad 988's and all strung together by Nordost Red Dawn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts