MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question to those that have owned their MV's longer than I (especially to those that live in warmer climates):
:flamethro :ahhh: :cry: :bawling:
Have you experienced any burning sensations under your seats?
If so what the hells going on!?! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :devilsmok
I live in the NYC area and we've been getting some warmer weather as of late. In fact it's been in our around the 90's (F) for the last couple of days and is supposed to stay that way for most of this coming week.
I took the bike out Scotrun PA yesterday (about 80 miles away) and while on the way up I felt a lot of heat coming from underneath the seat. As we all most know this is not unusual for these bikes. But what was unusual was the burning smell I picked up on after stopping. Well after investigating further I found most of everything store in the underseat compartment had either burned or melted in someway or another, including the MV tool kit pouch itself, which looks like had actually been on fire briefly before going out by itself, but not before melting the plastic heat shield, meant to protect against this very occurrence.
What gives? :confused: Has anyone else had to deal with this? :wtf: If so what did you do to rectify?

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
As everyone else has dealt with just plain heat there are few things you can do, ceramic coat the pipes or wrap them with heat insulation, but for the heat shield to melt it sounds like the pipes are mounted to close to the underside of the seat. there should be some gap so the pipes aren't coming in direct contact with the pan under the seat. i would check the hangers for the exhast and see if you can create some more clearance and maybe stop the melting and fire :jsm: b/c obviously nothing should ever be on fire outside the cyclinders. Hope this helps but i am sure someone else will give you some more pointers. try and stay cool!! :koolaid:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check the clearance and there clearly is space, but if it's enough, I'm not sure. I'll have to revisit that this week. As far as the coatings are concerned, I don't know. I'm honestly not in love with the way they look, but I did recently rap the header and collector pipes. I also put in one of those heat shield sheets over the muffler assembly. Which is why I was even more suprised to find it had burned through. You'd think it would help, but maybe it made it worse by limiting the free space. I don't know. I guess I need to recheck everything now. :birthday:

·
Registered
301 Posts
And I was pissed because my rear brake fluid boiled with the combination of Aussie summer heat and MV engine /exhaust....

Doc :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
:flamethro More to follow...but

I led 10 demo rides from 9am-330pm each day at mid-ohio event, each lasting ~12 miles/ 20 minutes in 90 degree heat w/humidity. It was hot snaking bikes out from infield out of facility to street...

Machines were running ~ 220 degrees and lots of heat was coming off to legs and seat. Balls were on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flamethro :flamethro :flamethro :flamethro :mad: :mad: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Machines ran fine! AND ONCE RUNNING AT SPEED :later: temp came down to 195, and relief ensued.

Peter

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
Please post any vid's you can of all 11 MV's out on the track, that would be a beautiful thing to see!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hi Paul, we all have hot bums. But if you wrapped the header pipes in a heat wrap you will actually allow the hottest heat to travel further down the pipes, this is because the heat cant escape through the header metal and will transmit further down, in other words the tail section and silencers will get much hotter, in my experience the wraps are good if you have car under bonnet heat problems such as race or tuned turbo cars do, without the wrap the carbs have fuel vaporisation causing low rev running problems, hence wrapping the manifolds to take the heat away, or in your case further down the system. I would remove the header wrap and see (feel) the difference. I had a TVR with the same problem, the gell coat melted at the back of the car due to the wrapping on the manifold transmitting the heat further along the pipes. This was normal I was told. Hope this helps and have explained clear enough.

·
Registered
926 Posts
solo said:
HELLZ YEAH!! i don't think i will be making babies anytime soon....my thighs and nuts have been on fiya!
LOL :laughing: Thats what i call double contraception, go out on your bike and roast some nuts!!! :laughing:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Me too, especially riding around the city :eek: :bawling:
But on track no problem with leather tracksuit (and it's been a damn hot sunday yesterday).

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Paul Kelly said:
Quick question to those that have owned their MV's longer than I (especially to those that live in warmer climates):
:flamethro :ahhh: :cry: :bawling:
Have you experienced any burning sensations under your seats?
If so what the hells going on!?! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :devilsmok
I live in the NYC area and we've been getting some warmer weather as of late. In fact it's been in our around the 90's (F) for the last couple of days and is supposed to stay that way for most of this coming week.
I took the bike out Scotrun PA yesterday (about 80 miles away) and while on the way up I felt a lot of heat coming from underneath the seat. As we all most know this is not unusual for these bikes. But what was unusual was the burning smell I picked up on after stopping. Well after investigating further I found most of everything store in the underseat compartment had either burned or melted in someway or another, including the MV tool kit pouch itself, which looks like had actually been on fire briefly before going out by itself, but not before melting the plastic heat shield, meant to protect against this very occurrence.
What gives? :confused: Has anyone else had to deal with this? :wtf: If so what did you do to rectify?

We all experience the heat but actual BURNING is something else. The root of that problem needs to be traced right away. If your bike is stock then I'd leave it up to the dealer to rectify and replace anything out of sorts. If you are modified or prefer to do it yourself reply back and we'll see what we can come up with.

·
Registered
601 Posts
So good this thread came up cos after my firts 100 miles on the new MV my balls and legs were also on fire. Now, I leve in Houston, TX and my legs and balls are used to be on fire even when not riding so ....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts