MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had some serious rains yesterday and against my better judgment I was going pretty quick at local canyon when I saw some gravel in my path. No time to avoid it so before I hit the gravel, I pulled in the clutch and closed throttle and hoped for the best.

Well the bike slid (and lateral scrub marks all along the perimeter of tires show that BOTH tires lost traction less than 1/4 of an inch away from edge of the tires). I then when into two serious tank slappers and was sure I was about to go down. I raised myself off the seat (so 100% of my weight on the pegs) because I was ready to jump off when the bike when it was about to go down. Miraculously, the bike settled down.

So, did my rising off the seats have anything to do with the recovery? Being off the gas and clutch? Thanks for our input. It was a very, very, very, very close call.

(It's also a good thing I didn't jump off the bike prematurely because I was about a few tenths of a seconds away for ejecting because I really thought it was a lost cause. )

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
hey Allan glad your ok. I guess the MV God's where looking out for you that day

·
Registered
6 Posts
best thing you did was hold on thru it, standing up helps get a better feel / perspective to wrestle it around, just like on a dirt bike. Close one.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey Allan glad your ok. I guess the MV God's where looking out for you that day
No, the MV Gods were pissed at me when I trade in my MV. This was on the 1198 base model. I wonder how things would have played out if I had the S model.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If you were on a MV, this would not have happened :yo: Just kidding :)

Wow that sounded close :jsm: to an off. It sounds like you did everything right at least, proof by staying up. Not jamming on the brakes I think was a main contributor to staying on.
As you know, it was all over in a second and a half, maybe two, instinct of balance kicked in I suppose. I don't think you can train for a save. And that split second on weather to jump off or not..... I'd go home and pour me a striaght double shot of something 120proof on the rocks :smoking:
"S" model, just more expensive to fix when you crash :naughty:

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Glad to hear that you made it out unscathed...well done Allan

+100 on the zero break input....

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing... assuming you could not avoid the gravel.

If you lose the front you are going down, there is not much you can do about that.

The rear you can have sliding all over the place and usually recover.

By just riding it through and not braking, you had enough traction on the front to keep it up. If you had tried to brake with the front tire you would not have had enough traction to keep the bike up and slow down. Keeping the weight on the pegs helped too. If you had been sitting on the seat the tank slapper would have probably launched you up into the air, haha. Been there done that.

Nothing like some gravel and a near crash to get the adrenaline pumping.

Of course had you been on an MV Agusta, what with its superior handling, you would have been able to avoid the whole incident, haha.

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
Pulling in the clutch allows the rear wheel to roll. Not hitting the brakes prevents the skid from continuing. Standing on the pegs changes the center of gravity and allows the bike to move under you to regain road grip. A bit like motocross. Doing those things in a different sequence would have had a different outcome....your skills memory saved you. It happens in a flash...a s l o w flash... PRACTICE, it helps.

Glad to know you are OK!

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Nice to hear you and the bike made it safely out the other side Allan.
Your riding experience and skills have deifnitely paid off in incidents like that. There were probably a few other instinctive reflexes that you also subconsciously did as well to help the situation.

Stay safe.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Pulling in the clutch allows the rear wheel to roll. Not hitting the brakes prevents the skid from continuing. Standing on the pegs changes the center of gravity and allows the bike to move under you to regain road grip. A bit like motocross. Doing those things in a different sequence would have had a different outcome....your skills memory saved you. It happens in a flash...a s l o w flash... PRACTICE, it helps.

Glad to know you are OK!
Not sure how you would practice that...can't see myself finding a gravel road & trying to throw down my MV & then trying to save it :jsm: As a matter of fact if saw a gravel road I think I would stop & push it after all, as an anally retentive virgo how could I live with a stone chip??????:stopp:

I know what you mean about skills memory, it is the constant repitition of the all the little things that you have done your entire riding life that just click in at that point. As always a little luck certainly does not go astray.

Glad to hear the both Rider and MV are well and unscathed:)

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Did you make sure to check your underwear when you got home? All kidding aside major props for making something that could have ended badly in to a lesson of what to do when in a situation like that. Well done!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'd also guess that the gravel layer was thin, allowing the tires to eventually reach or slide though to the payment underneath...a little luck, some good skills and a friend in the sky, and no visit to the ER or repair shop. Glad you rolled though OK Alan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts