MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made my second highway travel journey on my dragster rr today, I went to sacramento ca. 3 weeks ago and this morning I headed out to Fremont ca. for another table tennis tournament. there were many thoughts going through my head when this thing is buzzing down the freeways..#1 I caught myself day dreaming about being on a tourismo, I need the storage space and a ride that does not rattle my teeth loose..Im fine bouncing down the road at 70-75 m.p.h. but theres a few times when it does not feel safe, the Altamont is a rough bouncy section of highway 580 and the dragster does not handle very well with the stiff suspension and short wheelbase, I was aware of this when I bought it, but you have to experience it yourself, other than youtube video's..when I get to the city I start to grin again, the engine rumbles at the stop lights and it hauls ass on takeoff's and it gets a lot of looks. A couple of days ago I was behind a line of cars waiting for the train to pass and the two dudes in front of me got out of there car and was asking me what brand of motorcycle it was, I get a lot of compliments...BUT..I would like to be able to get to these tournaments in one piece and cruising down the highways around 80-85 m.p.h. being 57 years old I think a sport tourer will be in the future...but not for a while...:blah:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, but I don't think there's enough adjustment to make up for it being a sport bike. I know you cant have the best of both worlds, I like it a lot and to be honest I don't spend the majority of my riding on the freeways. but when I go to play in a tournament it takes a little bit of energy out of me just getting there. my 1987 v-max trucked down the freeways like a boss! 80-100 m.p.h. was good for long distance. the dragster rr is light and the short w.b. adds to the fire. It could use a taller gear, I feel it buzzing pretty good when I'm cruising at 80..Im going to soften the preload on the rear shock and see if that helps, I don't road race I just cruse and have fun. this bike has not seen 100 m.p.h. yet..lol!..it's a good thing I didn't have this bike when I was younger, pretty shure it's a fair amount quicker than my v-max was.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've ridden the Alta pass several times on the dragster. The key is not to hit the potholes and crappy road bits. Luggage can be added to your dragster and the suspension can be adjusted. Sit on the bike and try not to put input into bars.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main reason I need storage is when I get to a tournament, I'm stuck with lugging my riding clothing (jacket)..helmet..riding shoes..etc. around a venue, leave it in one spot, and it may not be there when you get back..I use a back pack for my tournament gear and bring a duffel type bag for my travel gear that I have to lug around for the day. not complaining, but I would rather be able to lock it in the hard bags and leave it on the motorcycle..It was hard to avoid all the pot holes and pavement cracks because I'm riding early in the morning and it's still dark outside. Im trying to keep with the traffic speeds 70-80 m.p.h. it wasn't as bad comeing home in the daylight..and thanks for the tip, because I think I am giving the "kung-fu" grip on the handle bars. I feel like I'm going to lose control at times with the cars flying around me while I'm trying to dodge the cracks and pavement shifts..I caught myself going 60-65 a couple of times because of the rough bouncy ride...I will soften the chassis, it has to help a little..I dont have any plans to sell it though, it's to much fun to ride on back roads and cruising around town.. when I retire, (4 years) I plan on traveling to out of state tournaments, a lot of that will be freeway riding, I am looking at the motus for that..

·
Registered
450 Posts
Good luck with the tournaments. Sadly there is no hard luggage option for Dragsters that I know of.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dragster is not the bike for luggage options or touring. The suspension bit can be adjusted. My B3 800 was incredibly harsh to the point it would become unsettled in bumpy turns. I got it adjusted and have found no problems with it absorbing the road. It's still stiff (something you won't be able to change) but it's perfectly comfortable over rough bits. Also try and squeeze the tank with your legs as much as possible and lessesn the pressure on the bars. Makes a huge difference. It is quite easy to become tired and plop all your weight onto the bars.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sounds like your research was not inline with your needs.
Maybe a Miata? :stickpoke

Reactions: Bruce Taylor

·
Registered
583 Posts
Touring on the Dragster is awesome just stay off long stretches of highway

If you have to use them then you have to accept that you can't go fast for sustained lengths of time on this bike and expect to arrive fresh !

If you have to use a rucksack get a Kreiga as they are superbly comfortable

Good luck with the tournaments and be happy you're not a pro surfer :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice guys!..I did go into this purchase a little quick, I didn't think it could possibly be that bad on freeways, but it is..lol! I'm going to ride it like it's a gold wing because it's what I got. I'm already watching video's of the turismo and that's what I need, but..the dragster is to fun and looks insane..hauls ass..and it's to late to have buyers remorse, I got what I got and couldn't be happier..except when it wont start, but that's getting fixed this week under warranty...when I start traveling further away I might have to think about trading it in or selling it. but not if I have to take a big money loss, I will wait and see what it is worh $$$..

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You can fiddle with the damping but it won't make a huge difference until you get the preload right. 25mm rider sag at the front and 30-35mm at the back then play with the damping. There is a comfortable(ish) bike in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys!..I did go into this purchase a little quick, I didn't think it could possibly be that bad on freeways, but it is..lol! I'm going to ride it like it's a gold wing because it's what I got. I'm already watching video's of the turismo and that's what I need, but..the dragster is to fun and looks insane..hauls ass..and it's to late to have buyers remorse, I got what I got and couldn't be happier..except when it wont start, but that's getting fixed this week under warranty...when I start traveling further away I might have to think about trading it in or selling it. but not if I have to take a big money loss, I will wait and see what it is worh $$$..
hey mate i just had similar problem with comfort on the rr, i have a old injury in my back(herniated disc) and the rr seat is so small and the back of it was pushing right into old injury, and any bumps in road the suspension couldnt deal with, was a easy fix though just swapped it for a tuono 1100rr :f4::f4:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL!..thats not a bad swap..I got "jolted" yesterday on a bump..I have a herniated disk too, and I have to lift myself off the seat when I go over bumps or I get a "stinger" L7 lumbar disk that's the one were talking about...

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you are in the UK, then TW Suspension in Preston provide a ride in/ride out suspension setup service.
Teut consults for BSB - really knows his stuff.
Best £40 I've spent on motorcycling related kit. My F3 is now taut and firm but not harsh.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Same here, from harsh to still quite firm but that's what a naked sportsbike should feel like.
It used to run wide in corners, now as sharp as a knife.
No more head shaking.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went on a 150+ mile ride today, this time in the mountains. the dragster was at it's best, this is my 4th motorcycle that I have taken on this trip to Mt Hamilton, 50 miles above Patterson ca. it is nothing but "twisties" had lunch at the junction and went up the hill..it operated flawless! I came out a better rider than I when I started, I'm getting my mojo back and got rid of the scared to lean feeling..I was going at a pretty fast pace, a little faster than I thought I would. the dragster is a blast, drew a pretty good crowd at the junction too..had several guys get pictures of themselves sitting on my bike even though they had motorcycles in the parking lot. it just looks cool! I rode a 1979 Yamaha SR 500..a 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550 and a 1987 Yamaha V MAX on this ride several times,the dragster rr is a modern motorcycle and it is obvious...a cut above..I like riding it in the mountains a lot more than on the freeways.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Well, I supposed if you really want to feel comfortable during the drive, you would have taken a car but that wouldn't have been as fun, would it?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I normally take a full turn out of the rear rebound for 'normal' touring to get the back a bit more compliant for touring (B3 800rr).

This is after the bike was set up during a track day with assistance from GASD suspension. A bit extreme for touring, but then again I never bought the Brutale to be a lazy boy couch.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi there,

Try dropping your tyre pressures a few psi. That should soak up the little stuff. Only downside is you will flatten the centre out of the tyres more quickly. When you do, switch to a more road based tyre.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
On sunday,4/13/17 I went for a run with a couple of my Harley friends on there huge touring bikes with wind protection and all the space for luggage etc...Im on my 800 dragster rr... The last couple of months I have been collecting things so I can make some touring trips, this is the only motorcycle that I own so if I want to travel with my friends I have to use what I got or stay home and watch youtube videos..I look like a fly in a glass of milk running with the Harleys. to date: I have purchased a throttle lock, this was the best improvement... now, I can relieve the pressure on my right hand and keep riding in the saddle without having to stop..I also added padded grip covers, this helped a little with the vibration, a small improvement.. padded gel gloves are next.. I purchased a pair of gel padded cycling shorts on e-bay for $12.00.. this was a worthwhile investment, my rearend can now handle the brick of a seat for a long time. it works well with the athletic supporter to keep my junk in one position..I also have good sidi shoes and adding the extra long thick socks was a good idea too. I traveled 300 miles..a lot of it was windy and then a lot of twisties, we ran along highway 1 along the ocean then cut across the big trees before making it home. altogether I stayed on the bike for close to 10 hours. My palms were sore from the pressure and my left leg was cramping the last hour, it was a good warm up for future tours..I plan on adding a puig windscreen for the longer runs then I will remove it when I return home. I have a tailbag on order and I plan on mounting my G.P.S... maybe a backpack too although, I really don't want to have it on my back but there is not much room on the dragster for traveling space..I will adjust the rear spring to get a softer ride..In a couple of years I will buy a sport touring bike and go cross country, I'm pretty shure I can do it on the dragster but it's not very good for that and I hate putting all these miles on it, I already have 7,000 miles on the bike and I plan on doing a 500-600 mile day this summer along with a lot more 2-300 miles days. I'm hooked!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts