MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am riding to work today on my 05 F4 1000....it is a cloudy day with temps. in the late 60's to early 70's. I am sitting at a traffic light and notice the temp reading flashing.....then 250, 260, 268, 270...and I am getting worried....i look at the tank in front of the airbox and notice the appropriate level of fluid....the light turns green and I get the bike up to speed to produce airflow...the rest of the way to work the temp does not go below 205...which is bad....i pull into the parking lot and hit the kill switch...light in my head goes off when i hear NO FAN running.....i imagine there is a fuse i will need to check along with the connector? Any other ideas? I only have 3k on the odometer

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
I would say if the fuse is okay then
fan motor might be bad or
a bad relay or
a temp sensor that brings on the motor is bad
wiring might be loose or not conducting in some way :lightning
my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
the fuse is in position 1. it's on a fuse pod, which is on the right side of the bike. take off the right side mid, and you'll see a small black box which has two spring loaded levers on each side. that's the fuse box.

when you get the cover off, and flip it over, you'll see a diagram showing what each fuse is for and it's value

the fan fuse is 15A.

alex

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will check all of these this weekend.....on the relays will I be able to see this without pulling the tank?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ended up a blown fuse.....i'm curious as to why and i hope this is not an indication of a malfunction somewhere in the system. Fuses should not blow unless there is a problem so I will monitor this....going out to get some Engine Ice since I have the panels off. Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeh i'm going to try Engine ICE too.

Today after a squirt up our local twisty road, I sat it on the side of the road idling and the temp went up to 101 Deg C (ambient 23 Deg C) and stayed there... that was great.
A few weeks back it didnt seem to stop rising a traffice lights (at night, and i think it was colder then) strange.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ok in traffic today it rose to 112 Deg C (Where it blinks) so I shot up a side street to stretch its legs.
I am going to first try Engine Ice and see how it goes, after that will try removing the cat-converter, after that more/bigger fans. :conveyer:

Regards
Jonathan

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Please let me know where you are getting the engine ICE from in Sydney.

I've been dicked around with promise that some bike shops have them in stock.

spacechumper said:
Ok in traffic today it rose to 112 Deg C (Where it blinks) so I shot up a side street to stretch its legs.
I am going to first try Engine Ice and see how it goes, after that will try removing the cat-converter, after that more/bigger fans. :conveyer:

Regards
Jonathan

·
Registered
367 Posts
gazman said:
And it's not even summer yet ...spacechumper??!!!
I know :)
I commute to Sydney to work (by train normally).
As beautiful as Sydney is... the Traffic sucks .. sucks .. sucks ........ :banghead:
I don't normally lane split, but I had to a little. :)

So i rode it back home this after noon, it got up to 115 Deg C :flamethro
So I just had to turn off the ignition, I couldn't let it go :)

Minime, you can ring Warren Enterprises (07) 3279 4522 to ask if your local motorcycle dealers carry it.

It was great to ride it in traffic apart from the worry of heat, once I fix that she'll be sweet

·
Registered
367 Posts
minime said:
Please let me know where you are getting the engine ICE from in Sydney.
Also I rang Paul Feeney to check if 'engine ice' was ok for warranty, they said is ok. Besides my local MV dealer sells it aparently (Central Coast Motrocycles). I didn't but the bike there though.... long story.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've ordered Engine ICE from SPM (Sydney Performance Motorcycles - 9531 6580), I should be able to change the coolant this weekend. With the Toyota coolant the highest temperature I've seen is 105degree in Sydney traffic (last weekend when it was about 30degree outside temp).

Hopefully the stock comes in today - friday.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Solo, I had something similar happen to me as well. It turned out that the upper fan wiring harness had come into contact with the head pipes and the wire insulation was burned through. When the bare wire finally grounded on the header, it blew the fuse. Check the routing of the wires, repair any heat damage, and route them away from the exhaust.

·
Registered
367 Posts
minime said:
I've ordered Engine ICE from SPM (Sydney Performance Motorcycles - 9531 6580), I should be able to change the coolant this weekend. With the Toyota coolant the highest temperature I've seen is 105degree in Sydney traffic (last weekend when it was about 30degree outside temp).

Hopefully the stock comes in today - friday.
Great, let me know how it goes. I have a feeling my bikes heat will still rise but much slower :)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
No problem - I'll let you know how I go. It seems like I'll be picking up the coolant nextweek. Oh well.

I have inspected the fan cable and place two cable ties to secure the fan cable away from the extractors.

I brought 2 bottles (1.8l each) for about $30.00 each so I can do a proper coolant flush.

Its double demerit so I'll be taking it easy this long weekend.

spacechumper said:
Great, let me know how it goes. I have a feeling my bikes heat will still rise but much slower :)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Here is my review on Engine ICE.

I purchase the Engine ICE coolant (www.engineice.cc) from Sydney Performance Motorcycles. I am sure Brendan would be very happy to help other fellow riders change their coolant if thier not handy with the spanner.

The main reason why I purchase Engine ICE is due to the fact that the MV runs very hot in traffic. With the air temperatures reaching 30degC on the weekend, the MV would regular see about 105degC in traffic (fans at full speed). Temperature drops down to about 70degC when there is airflow over the radiator.

The Agip MV Agusta coolant has a 110degC boiling point and Engine ICE has a 124degC boiling point which is a big plus. I purchase this coolant for the extra temperature ceiling alone, the 10degC cooler is just a bonus.

The cost of the coolant and labour is dirt cheap compare to a warp head and engine rebuild and time off the road due to the coolant boiling in traffic.

A full engine flush is recommended, this is done by using a 50/50 mix of distilled water and white vinegar. Warm up the engine, flush the mix and repeat the process. I did this a few times to remove all of the old coolant, then refill with Engine ICE. Idle the bike so there are no air bubbles in the system and top up the coolant to the correct levels.

The outside temperature is now about 18degC which is not a fair comparision to the weekend 30degC. I've taken the bike for a 10km warm up and let her idle for about 6-8 minutes. What I've notice was that the bike takes a long time to reach 96degC. With the old coolant I can regular see 104degC within 2-3 minutes of engine idling.

Advantages
cost nearly the same as the OEM coolant.
higher boiling point compared to the OEM coolant
takes longer to get the coolant to boil
A claimed temperature drop of up to 10degC. I saw about a 5-8degC lower temperature whilst the bike is moving.
Prevention of possible warp head and costly engine rebuild.

Disadvantages
You need to pre-order the Engine ICE stock.
old coolant needs to be flush correctly.
If your bike is still under warranty, check with manufacturer first before voiding possible warranty. (My bike has been out of warranty ages ago).

So not a really scientific outcome, but a result never or less. Even if you don't use Engine ICE, change the coolant in your bike (or give Brendan a call) for summer. New coolant once a year is cheap insurance for your engine.

Thanks to Brendan SPM for getting the Engine ICE at short notice!!!

PS : I don't work or have any financial gains from SPM, I just purchase the items from Brendan.

·
Registered
367 Posts
minime,

Did you get the 2 bottles, did you require 2 bottles?

And you just take the fairing off and its at the bottom of the bottom radiator on the letf side, true?

Thanks
Jonathan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts