MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the f4 has to be the most stable bike i've every ridden. it is as if the thing is totally immune to cross winds!

i don't understand it. the faring is a big old slab of plastic. it should act like a sail. but it doesn't! i've never ridden anything that tracks this straight when the winds are howling across the road. it's so awesome.

anyone else notice this too?

alex

05 f4
03 r6

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yeah, they are super stable.

I don't think it's really anything to do with aero.

I think part of it is geometry oriented, part of it is the fact the chassis is so rigid, and part is the installed damper.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
They certainly seem to stick to the road like sh*t to a blanket, they really do make you feel like a :king:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's really amazing. when i'm on the freeway, behind, near, or passing a large truck or bus, my other bikes got thrown around like a leaf in a wind tunnel. but the f4 just stays put.

and when i was railing through the twities this weekend (which was probably the best canyon ride i've EVER had), the F4 was rock solid true even though there was a really good cross wind.

i wonder if the wheels are heavy? it may be a part of it, but the bike sure flicks from side-to-side pretty good. not really sure about how flickable it is, since i haven't had it on the track yet.

alex

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
NOMOEVO said:
I wanna try !!!! I wanna try!!!! :blah:
Tomorrow will soon be here mate! Try and get some :zzz:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Yep, it the most stable bike i've ever ridden too.

I guess it's about geometry and the massive 50mm forks :smoking:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Rode Angeles Crest and Angeles Forest yesterday. Winds were kicking up. I never noticed the winds until I had stopped on the side of the road and waited for the group to catch up after a high speed run at the end of Forest down the long straight.

Hit an indicated ridiculous speed that I won't even mention for fear people will start telling me off.

Back to the point. Yes the F4 is damn stable. Just remeber to keep your arms relaxed.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
adam,

you did the crest? how was it? i thought about it but then decided for the 33 up ojai and lockwood vally rd. my concern was that the melting snow on the crest would have made it sloppy.

the 33 was beyond description. sublime. i saw like 3 other bikes and two or three cars. on the ENTIRE thing. it was so amazing.

and i did a little high-speed performance testing too. i hit 145 indicated on one rather long striaght, and the damn bike was laughing at me. it was pulling like MAD at that speed. i can see how the spec sheet lists 180 as a max.

but this bike is made for the curves. i'm so enthralled with the handling that i can't think about riding anything else.

alex

·
Registered
375 Posts
The crest was PICTURE PERFECT ! No water at all.... anywhere.

Not may people either. Very mellow up there. Weather at Newcombs was pretty warm.. I'd say upper 70's.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Besides the points raised, weight is a also factor I believe...

Your 03 R6, with stock config, full tank of fuel is somewhere about 420 lbs

and the stock 2005 F4 1000 is somewhere about 480 lbs with a full tank.

# according to the Roadracing World magazine tests.

The 60lbs has gotta have something to to with the fact that it doesn't get blown around as much... I am sure where the weight is stored is also a factor, I would imagine the higher up the weight, the less the bike will sway in the wind, the MV has the high undertail pipes, and the gas tank holds .9 gallon more fuel... another factor could be the wheel base being one whole inch longer than the R6. the difference between the 4 2006 600cc wheel base is only .3 of an inch.(with 3 of them just .1 apart)... which I would imagine also has something to do with the ultra high speed stability.

I am no expert, those are just my guesses.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
480!
christ the thing's a pig!
what's the giggy 1k? like 430 or less.

that's definitely going to play a part. i'm actually surprised it turns as easy as it does at that weight.

the mv needs a diet

maybe more than I do. (ok, maybe not)

alex

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yep,

I too attest to high speed stability. But sorry to say guys, the Tamburini with 190 tires, and that formula one shock is even more stable than my Ago was. It is markedly noticable on the freeway at stupid silly speeds :bash: .

Peter :blah: :blah: ; I know, enough about friggin Tam292 :king: .

·
Registered
375 Posts
altoon said:
i hit 145 indicated on one rather long striaght, and the damn bike was laughing at me. it was pulling like MAD at that speed. i can see how the spec sheet lists 180 as a max.
It will do 180 Mph indicated no problem. Don't ask me how I know however.

Camera Mount coming soon to document this ;)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
awiner said:
It will do 180 Mph indicated no problem. Don't ask me how I know however.

Camera Mount coming soon to document this ;)
jamesc had a speedo error of 5-8% (iirc) which puts the bike at 171 (5% error). the road and track speed test of the tamburini had it at 174. so my guess is that you were probably at 165-170.

that makes my 141 indicated work out to 131 or so.

alex

1 - 20 of 77 Posts