MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what sort of tool I should use to adjust the high speed compression of the Sachs shock on my 2005 Brutale S. The low-speed compression is easy: use a screwdriver. But the high-speed adjuster surrounding the low-speed screw has me kinda stumped. It's not hexagonal; it's round. It has two slots. What can I plug into that? Anyone got a good hack-- like, "use a putty knife!" or some other suggestion? I was looking at it and rifled through my tools but have not been able to conceive how to do it just yet. The manual's suggestion baffled me.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i have a really wide flat blade scraper - i think it's actually for removing gasket material from a head - it's thicker than a putty knife. works perfect on that high-speed adjuster.

only problem is that the lower faring on the F4 makes it hard to get the adjuster.

of course, you won't have that problem. damn nakes bikes. hahahaha

alex

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm. OK, I'll try a putty knife, or just inserting a screwdriver in one-half of the adjusting nut, if that's what everyone else is doing. Perhaps it turns very easily, like the low-speed screw, but it seemed rather stiff to me, like I would need a very solid tool-to-nut engagement to get it to turn without damaging it. I mean, I can always hit it with a hammer and punch, like a shock ring, but that will ding it up for sure, right? I'll get back to the forum tonight.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I thought I'd throw this out here since I have the chart at my side:

Rear Compression
-High speed compression: soft (0 clicks), standard (0 clicks), stiff (6 clicks)
-Low speed compression: soft (18 clicks), standard (15 clicks), stiff (12 clicks)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allan, the medium (stock) high speed compression setting is not 0. Check the chart again. When I first read that, I thought, Oh, now I don't have to change it because soft is same as stock. But in fact it does need to go softer if you're going for the soft settings.

You were right, with the right sized screwdriver it turns easily, even if only inserted on one side.

I'm just doing the basic "try out the factory recommended soft settings" thing as I'm light and the bike is very stiff. I like stiff better than wallowy but a little more compliance would be better. We'll see...blahblah blah, just have to let it all break in and continue to fiddle with it. Nice of the factory to give you three different baseline sets of settings to start with though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts