MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many of you have added one?
I just recently added an F1 MV Slip on, a Racing ECU and removed the Cat.
Do I need a HF Air Filter? If so which brand would you recommend?
After adding the HF Filter do I need to recalibrate the CO%?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
by sleep on, im sure you mean slip on, and you dont have to, but most people go with bmc air filters, and i doubt it will make alot of difference, because the mv air filter is a foam filter that is oiled like the bmc, and it already is high flow, but if u feel like spending some money, why not get a bmc

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I fitted a BMC recently but it was part of a package of measures I made all at the same time, PCIII and Ti slip ons. I had the air/fuel adjusted to suit all the above but I don't know if just changing the filter itself would require any setting adjustments. John T (airfuel) would know. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mv2envy said:
by sleep on, im sure you mean slip on, and you dont have to, but most people go with bmc air filters, and i doubt it will make alot of difference, because the mv air filter is a foam filter that is oiled like the bmc, and it already is high flow, but if u feel like spending some money, why not get a bmc

I just edited the wrong spelling (I appreciate it really!).
Regarding the recommendation, thanks !! I did not know that our bikes had that filter, so I better spend that money in something better.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mv2envy said:
now thats nice!!!! i wonder how it sounds compared to the rg3, about the same u think? just different material and looks?

I used to have the standard RG-3 on and I would say that sound wise they sound the same.
One big difference though is the Recing ECU. I feel a better response, though a trade of is that it does not run that smooth at iddle but it certainly feels a lot better when accelerating!.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the F1 was around US 3,500 and the Racing ECU about US$ 500 (Price in Mexico with plenty of taxes and transportation charges)
I am still waiting for the Corse Titanium Manifold...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
JC Exec said:
I used to have the standard RG-3 on and I would say that sound wise they sound the same.
One big difference though is the Recing ECU. I feel a better response, though a trade of is that it does not run that smooth at iddle but it certainly feels a lot better when accelerating!.
It shouldn't really be any different at idle, mine runs exactly the same around the idle area, I have race ecu, RG3, air filter, link pipe, runs real nice :) lovely exhaust by the way!

And PF, you need to live with the std ecu for a while to realise just how annoying that 5K surge gets, the 'race' ecu is just MV's answer to the RG3 'chip/eprom that you would change on earlier models, It does fix the 5K surge and makes the fuelling just about faultless :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
JC Exec said:
The F1 is the MV Agusta Ti Slip on exhaust.
i really like the slash cut design on these! i THINK that these are the same as the exhaust on the CC.

the thing is, where do you find them? they are not on the mv agusta usa website--just the rg3's. not that i don't like the rg3, but i really like how the tips of this exhaust are slash cut--if you have seen the CC then you now what i mean. it looks bad ass.

anyway, where can i find this for sale? just want the rear section (slip on) already have a mid-pipe (moto course Ti, to get rid of cat). but love this as a slip on...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The race ecu just alters fueling. Can be done more effectively with aftermarket units. (and way cheaper)

As far as the air filters, it is basically the same unless you actually do airbox mods. (more air flow)

Dynojet found that hi flow filters in stock boxes do not change the air/fuel ratio to any measurable degree.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
airfuel said:
The race ecu just alters fueling. Can be done more effectively with aftermarket units. (and way cheaper)

As far as the air filters, it is basically the same unless you actually do airbox mods. (more air flow)

Dynojet found that hi flow filters in stock boxes do not change the air/fuel ratio to any measurable degree.
John, ''The race ecu just alters fueling''
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, my bike even after extensive dyno setting of a power commander still had the 5K surge, I got the rpm fix from dynojet before the PC was set up to make setting easier, and the surge was still there, after fitting the RG3 or race ecu and putting in a zero map the 5K surge just vanished altogether, I can't even find it if I go looking for it, The 5SM RG3/race ecu must also alter the ignition timing before 5K. :)

I will still return to the dyno and get the PC set up again with the race ecu

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I would like to know for sure if it does alter timing.
Many calls to Ferracci had different techs say it does not alter timing and if you were using a Power Commander, getting it custom mapped would be the way to go.

Isn't the race ecu like 1500 dollars??

I would love to do back to back testing with the stock ecu and race ecu. Power curves and air/fuel ratio comparisons would put this to rest.

So, free dyno time to anyone who can bring me a bike and both ecu's. (I mean it!)

Mike, got any printouts with power and a/f ratio?? Maybe the race ecu just got the fueling correct?
Also, don't you have the Technoresearch software that can read the timing? Some runs with that connected will answer the question.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
airfuel said:
I would like to know for sure if it does alter timing.
Many calls to Ferracci had different techs say it does not alter timing and if you were using a Power Commander, getting it custom mapped would be the way to go.

Isn't the race ecu like 1500 dollars??

I would love to do back to back testing with the stock ecu and race ecu. Power curves and air/fuel ratio comparisons would put this to rest.

So, free dyno time to anyone who can bring me a bike and both ecu's. (I mean it!)

Mike, got any printouts with power and a/f ratio?? Maybe the race ecu just got the fueling correct?
Also, don't you have the Technoresearch software that can read the timing? Some runs with that connected will answer the question.
I did have the bike custom mapped with the std ecu and it was no better, the look on the dynojet tech when the bike was messing about before 5K was something to remember, :jsm: we came to a couple of conclusions:

1/ It only messed about before 5000rpm.
2/ It only messed about on the smaller throttle openings, from memory 2%, 5% and 10%, any throttle opening larger than 10% and it was fine.
3/ The tech got the fuelling absolutely spot on, even tried it a tad richer, the torque curve below 5K and 10% throttle still resembled a small roller coaster!!

The 'RG3/Race' ecu is quite cheap if bought with the exhaust, if bought seperately it is 550 euro.

I do have the technoresearch lead now, but didn't at the time the dyno work was carried out.

I spoke to Eraldo at Ferracci himself about his 5SM remapping, he said to tell him what exhaust I had and he would alter the fuelling to suit, he confirmed that their remapping does not involve any ignition adjustments :confused:

I also asked him about the race ecu and he said it was fine if I didn't mind the 2000rpm idle :confused:
I kinda gave up on the conversation after after that.......................

To ride one of the 'R's as delivered has to be sampled to be believed, merely slightly closing the throttle at motorway speeds (80ish) as the rpm falls below 5k the bike slows down markedly faster, to get the bike back out of this hole it has just fallen into probably takes about 3 times as much throttle as you originally closed it by :ahhh:

Don't you know of anyone out there that has 'cracked' the 5SM ecu yet John? and is able to reprogramme it?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
airfuel said:
One more thing: Are the part numbers the same for the Race ecu's that you get compared to ours?? Our gas in the U.S sucks and the emmission standards are different.
I'm putting my recall timing tensioner in tommorrow, I'll see if I can remember to look at the two ecu numbers while I am at it, interestingly my techno lead/software works on both of my ecu's, I have a feeling it would also work on the 16M ecu, but have yet to try it, I feared it may have 'locked on' to the first ecu I tried it on as it did say it was single bike software.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts