MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pics of an install of the HID lights on there F4? I bought a HID set up and was wondering where to put the ballast. Everywhere looks pretty tight. I remember someone from the F4 site that did this conversion with pics. I hope that person is on this site and can offer some insight as well as pics. Thanks in advance.

·
Living the Dream
2,760 Posts
i know when i put mine in, i didn't have much of a choice where to put mine b/c the wires for the ballast were so short. Style_one has them on his bike to and i can't remember where he put his. Mine is right on the triple tree across from the F4 rubber protector for the headlight. i just took a few zip ties and tied it down so it doesn't get in the way when i am turning the bars. When i get back in town i will post a pic for you.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i don't have any pics, but i sprayed the big ballast flat black and zip tied it to the headstock of the frame. you can't even see it. the smaller box is hidden under the front fairing support by the horn. since i did mine, i did see the pics you are referring to. he mounted the big ballast under the throttle side side fairing. can't remember how exactly, but i've thought about doing mine like that becuase i'm not sure if the way i have mine will pass tech at a trackday. i dreaded the mounting part too, but after taking a little time with her you can find places to mount.

hope that helped some.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
OK I'm not proud. Will somebody please tell me what HID :blush: stands for? Thanks

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I'll take three! :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Thanks Guys. I take it these are the blueish white beamed units seen on a lot of german built cars? :grin:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
hb88xx said:
So who can't read?
it says on the first page: HID (High Intensity Discharge)
Hahahaha, ok fine. I knew someone would come up with the solution :toothless
I just didn't bother to read. :p

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Whats Xenon, is that another type altogether or what? :)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Xenon bulbs use xenon gas inside the bulb. HID (high intensity discharge) use more power and such to deliver the more powerful light beam. Many of the german cars (audi, bmw especially) place the xenon/HID sets inside projector housings. Also, bulbs come with different degrees, and I believe the higher you go (8000k+) it looks more bluish. Higher you go, the more likely you'll be pulled over :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Thanks Alvin :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
actually they don't use more power, but less. the most "power" they use is a high voltage blast from the ballast to get the electrons in the gas "exicted". much like a flouresent bulb is more efficient then incandesant. and i will tell you this, once that bulb has reached maximum output, you can't beat it. it lights the entire street up. i only need high beams now for sharp cornering at night time as the projector low beam cutoff is too sharp. everyone who has done this mod can probably attest to what i'm saying. it's not just a "bling" mod at all.

and before anyone gets the idea of putting it in your highbeam location too, it wouldn't function well there because it would not be able to effectively "flash" like a normal filament bulb.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just to clarify, Xenon (gas) bulbs are used in HID setups. HID is just another way of distinguishing Halogen bulb systems from Xenon systems. Although in the future I wouldn't be surprised if some knock off company tried to sell a halogen system as HID just because they've tinted the glass on the bulb to make it appear blueish or Xenon like.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, thank you so much for the input. I have my baby all naked in the garage waiting to get fitted with a new eye. Greeneggs, I will wait for the pics before I get started to make sure I have in done correctly. I can't wait to ride again even at night.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
dd don't forget to post some before & after shots ;) and if you want, some pics to where you placed everything?

·
Living the Dream
2,760 Posts
Here are a couple pics of where i put the ballast for my HID's. It is a little ghetto but i didn't really have a choice b/c the wires for the ballast were so short. hope this helps, and i apologize it took me so long to get the pics posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GE&H, thanks for the pics. I hate to have the ballast exposed like that, but if that's the only place for it. I'll take some more pics while my baby is apart and during the installation. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts