MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase and install a HID headlight kit to my 1078RR.
Could anyone who has done this suggest a good kit to buy and any helpful advice on installing or what to look out for would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ash

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've fitted hundreds of Hesse kits and mant to mvs get urselfto on eBay mate and get a kit u will only need ur dip beam as u will never use high beam plus when u adjust the beam to were. U want it the hight beam becomes redundant as it point in the air and I would suggest a 6k bulb color temp as this will give u best result and if u buy a twin kit as in two bulbs and ballasts u will have a spare of each I case either part fail done the road and I've used a few kits from eBay after my philips supply dried up and haven't had any probs with them.
I think the low beam is a HB3 bulb but u can check this easy enought as it inbossed in the headlight glass hope this helps u mate
All so when fitting come in from the bottom of head light to run wiring and u can hide the slim ballast under the electrical cover on the right side with the horn

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I installed a DTMTuning kit. Its a nice slim ballast and a cheap kit that actually looked like decent quality. I didnt go through the trouble of shorting out the switch to keep it on with the high beam. With the HID kit aligned properly the high beam is only really good for flashing and mine leaves the low on when flashing.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jay & Ryan,
I'll check out the kits you have both suggested.
Thanks also for the installation tips.
I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers
Ash

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
An alternate ballast location....

My kit:

DSCN5759r.jpg

Ballast location:

DSCN5855rTEXT.jpg
DSCN5856rTEXT.jpg
DSCN5857rTEXT.jpg

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Idea S.S.
Are you happy with that kit?
I have looked at a few on Ebay, but haven't yet checked the site sponsors.
Behind the dash is an idea as well.
I have to check if my Low beam is a H7 or HB3.

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
i just got a cheap hid kit 6k from ebay for a twin kit so i have spares
easy enough to fit got the slim ballast kit and fitted my ballast undernearth the right electrical cover that holds the horn
you'll never need high beam again there the best mod for the shite lights
dont for get white led side light bulbs other wise you end up with a horrible yellow light
then chuck in a blue tinted high beam buld makes it look much better

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The ballasts do get a little warm so I'd avoid the tucked in side fairing option but mind u I won't effect it just pain in arse each time u remove fairing under the electrical cover with horn is the way to go

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Behind the dash is an idea as well.
I have to check if my Low beam is a H7 or HB3.
The nice thing about behind the dash is if you are OCD you can build a bracket, use the mounting bolts to mount it and make it so the ballasts dont touch anything (yes, there is that much room behind the nose cone) so they dont vibrate too much and dont have to worry about heat.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just got a cheap hid kit 6k from ebay for a twin kit so i have spares
easy enough to fit got the slim ballast kit and fitted my ballast undernearth the right electrical cover that holds the horn
you'll never need high beam again there the best mod for the shite lights
dont for get white led side light bulbs other wise you end up with a horrible yellow light
then chuck in a blue tinted high beam buld makes it look much better
I just checked out your install pics in your gallery.
Thanks also for the tip on changing the side light bulbs to LED and a blue high beam.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
looks like a standard HID kit that you can purchase from ebay for $40.00.
We mount the ballast next to the horn, so you can't even see the ballast.

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
No worries mate
All I did was Velcro the ballast to the air tube
When changing the side light bulbs just make sure you hold the glass as u take the clips off otherwise it may drop off and break n damage the mudguard
You may have to hold it and lever it off I did mine with an old food knife as its blunt so wouldn't chip the edge of the glass

·
Registered
986 Posts
Got mine here still Batty Postman- fancy a trip up't north ??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts