MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brad here, looking at buying a Brutale 1078 if possible... since I hear that crossing the border into Canada can be a PITA. Had the same issues with trying to bring in a Factory Tuono in from the USA, so I bought the Factory Mille instead, even though the Tuono's are also sold up here (since'06). Also have a new '08 Hypermotard S. But I think the real deal is the Big Brutale. I have not stopped thinking about MV's since my eyes and hands first touched the F4 and Brutale 910 when I was at motorcorsa in Portland a few years back. Wow, beautiful machines. The only thing I wasn't pleased with on the 910 was that it felt a bit cramped for my 6'2" height, in the show room. I didn't get a chance to test ride because I knew they were on transport canada's go straight to jail list if caught at the border (all I want is to have really nice motorcycles in my garage that's all, I'm not a criminal ) The Tuono and the mille fit me great but I feel big on the Hyper so I hope that you tall guys are happy with the Brutales' cockpit. Now that the Brutale is bigger at 1078 and 150+hp I know I must have one. For the street, for the track and for the lust. Thanks for letting me hang out and pick your brains you lucky buggers.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Welcome to the site, sorry to hear that canada can still be a PITA. Hopefully they'll open the flood gates soon. Keep us updated on your endeavors!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Shouldn't be that big of a deal if you have all the necessary paperwork. I sold a Vette to a Canadian and he got right through customs. But he did have everything needed in hand.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I imported my Brutale into Canada back in January 2006, the Registrar of Imported Vehicles List (www.riva.ca) included Ducatic/Cagiva, and since the Manufacturer is Cagiva USA, I got it in and all the paperwork done with no problem or delay. A month later, Transport Canada changed the list, by dropping the Cagiva, so since about Feb 2006, you cannot bring an MV into Canada unless it is 15 yrs old. I have also imported two vintage MV's with no issues at all.

At the Seattle M/C Show, I spoke with a Cagiva USA Rep who said that MV had sent one of every bike to Transport Canada for them to do the testing. He was hopeful that the process would be complete early next year, and was indicating that MV's may be on sale in Canada in the summer. I have been hearing the same thing for a couple of years now, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Anyway, the good news is that the process is underway.

When I imported mine, two other F4's came in at about the same time into British Columbia (a 750 and 1000). There are few around town, one I belive is riden by a US Citizen living up here and I think one is a "UBuild". I have not heard anyone being turned away at the border - Canada Customs don't do the eligibility check, they pass that off to RIV. I understand that RIV will not complete the paperwork and you wouldn't be able to plate it or insure it for riding - I don't think they impound it. I would like to hear from someone else who maybe didn't make it.

Cheers
JIM

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Welcome to the site "Bikesinmud" and some nice feedback from MV NV

must be the pits having the cash and unable to buy, hope it all works out soon

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
bikesinmud said:
The only thing I wasn't pleased with on the 910 was that it felt a bit cramped for my 6'2" height, in the show room. The Tuono and the mille fit me great but I feel big on the Hyper so I hope that you tall guys are happy with the Brutales' cockpit. Now that the Brutale is bigger at 1078 and 150+hp I know I must have one.
I don't think the Brutale will be any bigger physically...just more displacement and HP. If you felt tight on the 910 you will likely feel the same on the 1078.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's what I found out from the transport Canada people today: If a letter from the manufacturer states that the model which is sold in the USA is compliant with Canadian standards, then the model of motorcycle is admissable into Canada, even if its not on the list from riv.ca. What are my chances of getting something like that? Is MV and CagivaUSA going to do something like that for 1 customer? I've been waiting for my letter from Aprilia for 3 years now with absolutely no reply. I hope MV/Cagiva USA responds a bit sooner than Aprilia. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I think it's certainly possible. Cagiva USA has been known to reach their hand out to help their customers. I can't guarantee anything but it's definitely worth a try. Some members here are with Cagiva, some others from Cagiva read the site. They are great people who like to know what the customers are thinking

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
esq'z me said:
I don't think the Brutale will be any bigger physically...just more displacement and HP. If you felt tight on the 910 you will likely feel the same on the 1078.
True that! The 1078 size & frame are identical to the 910's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Biksnmind> Here's what I found out from the transport Canada people today: If a letter from the manufacturer states that the model which is sold in the USA is compliant with Canadian standards, then the model of motorcycle is admissable into Canada, even if its not on the list from riv.ca.

That is good news in a way - but the Caveat is the manufacturer being able to state (with hand over heart) that the bike complies with Canadian DOT standards. This may be academic, my Brutale does comply with the obvious things like daylight headlight, proper reflectors in the right places, KMPH speedo - what is not apparent is things like braking performance, headlight coverage that sort of thing.

I would like to contact someone in Cagiva USA to see what their thoughts on this is. Esp. since import sales would "rocket" if the general public felt they had the support of Cagiva. I for one would order my new Brutale today if I though I would get this kind of support from Cagiva USA.

What may be against this is protection of potential new dealers in Canada. I gather in days ahead, that when MV's go on sale in showrooms here, there will not only be a premium over sale price in US$, but they will make personal import rather difficult. It comes down to money in the end, they want more of it.

Anyone got any contact names etc at Cagiva USA?

Cheers
JIM

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
i am told that Cagiva Usa is doing whatever they can to get the models into Canada, but it is very tough. I guess its a waiting game from here on out, as they want the bikes into Canada as much as you guys do...

·
Registered
69 Posts
MV in Canada

I was luck to register my F4 in Canada over a year ago. It was a very difficult process. Started as a parts bike and went from there. I would not try it again!( Took months of paper work!) :jsm: Saw a new F4 CC model at the recent Toronto bike show, had business cards lying around with email link for survey on Canadian interest. So I guess they are still trying to get them in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ducracer18 said:
I was luck to register my F4 in Canada over a year ago. It was a very difficult process. Started as a parts bike and went from there. I would not try it again!( Took months of paper work!)

Parts bike you say... how does this work? With a long winter this may be a fun project to attempt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts