MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, obviously im new. Name is Robert. Owned a 04 Brutale 750 in matte black which I adored. On friday I traded it in (plus some $) and bought a new 05 F4-1000 in silver/blue. Another dream come true no doubt. The 1000 has obviously a much more extreme riding position (im still sore from riding on Friday), hopefully i'll get used to it. Alot more weight being put on my wrists. Lower back was killing me after the first 2 hours riding hahah. Im sure it will be better after my muscles adjust.

Few questions:

1) the F4-1000 seems like the front brakes need much more pressure on the lever to stop. And the brakes dont seem to have as much "bite" as the Brutale, is this normal? (bike had 5 miles on it when i bought it, 43 now).

2) Can someone tell me how to adjust the footpegs so i can make them lower (if thats possible) so I can be a tiny bit less cramped when riding? I didnt get a owners manual (yet) when I bought the bike. The dealer said they were out and need to send it to me. In the meantime I need to know.

Thanks for any info. I hope to get some pictures up when i can.

Robert

·
Registered
72 Posts
777 said:
Hi, obviously im new. Name is Robert. Owned a 04 Brutale 750 in matte black which I adored. On friday I traded it in (plus some $) and bought a new 05 F4-1000 in silver/blue. Another dream come true no doubt. The 1000 has obviously a much more extreme riding position (im still sore from riding on Friday), hopefully i'll get used to it. Alot more weight being put on my wrists. Lower back was killing me after the first 2 hours riding hahah. Im sure it will be better after my muscles adjust.

Few questions:

1) the F4-1000 seems like the front brakes need much more pressure on the lever to stop. And the brakes dont seem to have as much "bite" as the Brutale, is this normal? (bike had 5 miles on it when i bought it, 43 now).

2) Can someone tell me how to adjust the footpegs so i can make them lower (if thats possible) so I can be a tiny bit less cramped when riding? I didnt get a owners manual (yet) when I bought the bike. The dealer said they were out and need to send it to me. In the meantime I need to know.

Thanks for any info. I hope to get some pictures up when i can.

Robert
Congrats on your purchase! I don't have much bite on the front brakes of my SPR, not as much as my 996 anyways. I assume this will come as the everything settles in. Give it some time. As for the footpegs, I am not sure if the 1000s came with the eccentric footpegs but those can be adjusted to change the foot position. If not, look for a set off of any of the LTD bikes for sale used. One question for you.. how did you manage to ride for two hours and only accumulate 43 miles? Check this link for some other links where you can find some MV accessories. http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
rearviewmirror said:
One question for you.. how did you manage to ride for two hours and only accumulate 43 miles? QUOTE]

Yep I'm curious???

And congrats on the purchase...after a couple of failed trade deals over the last couple of months for a new F4 1000 I put a deposit on a second hand one (1,700 kms) last week and hope to pick it up in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks dudes.

simple. 43 miles from the city streets cruising :) gotta get used to it and break it in. i havent even got it into 3rd gear yet.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Brake pads & disks need breaking in too... After 100 Miles they should be ok.
On the SPR brake pads aren't as good as the 1000 one's, I started by changing them (Brembo ones, don't remember the exact ref.), and finaly changed the front brake master cylinder (Brembo PR19x20). With the new brake pad they are more constant and a little bit more powerful (the 1000 should be this way with stock brake pads (didn't try it, that's what I've heard)), PR19 makes the brake really powerfull.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The owners manual is in the crate the bike is shipped in...what has the dealer done with it?

As for the brakes, they of course need to bed in, like all the parts of a new machine, but the Nissan units are designed for progressive feel. They require a skill that many other brake manufacturers have tried to emulate and failed to produce.
The Nissans are probably more powerful that what most of the competitors on the market can produce, spend lots of time understanding the feeedback they give you, really make a concious effort to feel how much more the braking performance increases exponentially with lever pull.

And dont buy any of that radial Vs traditionally mounted crap, 50mm forks rule out any argument about vibration and flex.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the feedback on the brakes. they are getting better 105 miles yah!

;)

just got back from the dealer, had them show me how to adjust the footrests. a fellow owner with a 05 f4-1000 in red i know didnt get his manual either. dealer said they will just go ahead and buy some and ship it to us. thinks the shop people snag them and dont return them or whatever.... i dont know, i found one online last night in .pdf off this site and a more complete one (wiring harness) doing a google search.

got some batteries for the cam and here is my bike:

wish it was a slight bit less extreme sitting position, back is hurting again.... but i love it so far.... good with the bad, i just need to remind myself its a race bike...

cheers,
robert

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Not only is it a race bike its a work of art ;)

The back issue (as stated above) should work itself out soon. Congrats on your beauty and great picture. Remember you can add it to your registry profile by clicking on MV CP (right next to the top welcome msg).

If you find anything anywhere else manual wise feel free to send it over here then I can relieve some headache on others by hosting it here- :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Great bike, you will love it!
Interested in the decal position, my '05 F4 in red/silver has F4 -1000 both sides of the tail, the MV Agusta logo on the lower part of the fairing and the Valvole Radiali decal just below the bottom vent on the fairing.

Do MV vary the placement dependent on country?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
agusta01 said:
Great bike, you will love it!
Interested in the decal position, my '05 F4 in red/silver has F4 -1000 both sides of the tail, the MV Agusta logo on the lower part of the fairing and the Valvole Radiali decal just below the bottom vent on the fairing.

Do MV vary the placement dependent on country?
post a picture of the bike so we can see...

edit: nevermind, i know what your talking about. i think they made the blue with different logo placement because of the second thiner blue stripe on the fairing. probably wouldn't have fit on the blue with the same logos and that stripe. at least that is my guess.. i actually wish my bike had a MV logo on the side of the fairing...... it's a bit empty...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
777...are you happy with the 'finish' on the exhausts?
Mine were the same...almost as if they had forgotten to clean up the brown stains left from the welding process.

First thing I did was remove the pipes from the collector and polished them up with fine 'ScotchBrite' and metal polish. Looks fantastic, and will keep clean once the Carbon hugger arrives!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
agusta01 said:
777...are you happy with the 'finish' on the exhausts?
Mine were the same...almost as if they had forgotten to clean up the brown stains left from the welding process.

First thing I did was remove the pipes from the collector and polished them up with fine 'ScotchBrite' and metal polish. Looks fantastic, and will keep clean once the Carbon hugger arrives!
i didnt even notice till you brought it to my attention. looks fine imo, but your pic of your pipes looks much better. unfortunately im too lazy to do the same and get down to scrubbing my pipes.

"hey honey, can you polish my pipe?" :toothless

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
learned how to adjust my footrests. lowered them to the absolute lowest they could go. big help to make the ride more comfortable. so far it's an improvement.. whew.....

has anyone else adjusted their footrests and experienced more comfort?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi

don't have a F4 1000, but a F4 SR 750.

You do get used to the riding position IF you ride enough. It is not a commuter. You need a bit of speed to take weight off your wrists etc.

As for brakes, I hear people comment on poor MV brakes. Maybe there is just poor quality control and variability, but the stock Nissin's on my F4SR are great, better than the Brembos on any of my other bikes (eg Ducatis). I have thought about junking the Ducati Brembos for Nissins!!

cheers

Doc

:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts