MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to this forum and all it's rules so please take It easy on me, have been reading tons and tons of threads on everything and u guys are the best !!!!! Before I ask a question I usually look here cause I don't want to ask something stupid but haven't seen anything on this, first my name is john and I'm in south jersey and got my F4 used with about 6500 miles been cleaning here for about a week now, changed the oil and coolant and used both agip fluids, my questions is how to clean the black shown in the picture ???? Again thanks for all ur wisdom guys and I hope I can fit right in with the family !!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I just use regular car wash soap. Also, post more pix of the bike.

·
Vendor
5,373 Posts
Welcome to the forum John,can't pronounce your forum name lol.Yes,hot soapy water on the swingarm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys thanks !!!! waiting for my pictures in my gallery to go through the approval process so they should be up soon and my name is devil in disguise ;) and also should the piece in the picture always look faded ?? I'll try the water and soap just wanted to make sure

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
After washing I puzzled for ages on how to hide any flaws on that finish. Finally tried AUTOGLYM VINYL & RUBBER CARE, yes I know it's not vinyl or rubber, but it brings the finish up nicely and masks any flaws, it's also very easy to use.

·
Vendor
5,373 Posts
Hey guys thanks !!!! waiting for my pictures in my gallery to go through the approval process so they should be up soon and my name is devil in disguise ;) and also should the piece in the picture always look faded ?? I'll try the water and soap just wanted to make sure
Yes,it's a Matt finish.Also it is a very coarse finish so if you rub a dry rag over it the lint gets stuck in the grain and looks crap.Thats why I use a sponge and hot soapy water.Keep water away from your rear hub lol.Thats another story.:)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thanks I'll deff try using that product and see how it goes
You might want to start with touching up your swing arm with a little paint
you seem to have a few minor scuffs like I did. I used a size 0 brush and matt black Hammerite smooth finish paint. It is a tough paint and a semi grey/black. By using a fine brush you only need to touch up the exact area, thus any mismatch in colour by the time you use the the Autoglym product will hardly be visible.

I would recommend spraying the Autoglym vinyl care up close on to a soft cloth to apply it. This way there is no over spray on the bike, and if the cloth is pale in colour you will know when to change the cloths surface area when dirty, because this stuff will lift out dirt.

I also use it on all the bikes black plastic area's and the rear vinyl seat and rubber bits, vinyl hose etc. Obviously not on your tyres, although I have used it on tyre walls before. If you do use it on your passenger seat(that's if you have one) you must remove it using hot soapy water before you take a pillion for a ride as it is slippery.

This is the product: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-500ml-Vinyl-Rubber-Care/dp/B001151E5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403262926&sr=8-1&keywords=autoglym+rubber+cleaner

If you can't get Autoglm products in the USA, any rubber/viyl product may well work just as well. I use to use ArmorAll: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-ArmorAll-Protectant-Gloss-Finish-Cleans-Protects-Car-Interior-Vinyl-300ml-/141256852190?_trksid=p2054897.l5674

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Dev
Again welcome from one newbie to another.

I know where the other guys are coming from with the Autoglym product, but the same company makes an even better product called Bumper Care that is a green gel and it really does restore black vinyl parts very well. Not only that but I have used it on plastic parts, cables, wiring harnesses, powder coated finishes, painted metal finishes, hoses, switches all with great success.

Typically the type of part you have will look a little sad with odd marks and scuffs etc, but the Bumper Care will 'lift' the finish and help to hide some of the marks. I know many people in the car concours world that use this to enhance the engine bay and engine accessories as it is so versatile.

The nearest I can explain is like hide food, this seems to feed the material that you put it on and only needs a wipe over afterwards to remove any residue. But as NVBERT said I would not use it on the seat.

It is a stock item here in the UK but may be marketed under a different name in other world markets.

Another avenue to explore in the USA is Meguiars who have a brilliant R&D customer service team, they are happy to take a call and advise on product, they even run workshops at their distribution centres, which you can go along to if one is close by. Being in the UK I don't have a contact number but am sure you can find them via the net.

Happy polishing!
Tony

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that tonyabacus, you only just got on these forums and are already contributing, good suff!
When my present stock runs out I will give it a go.
Is it a long lasting and resilient finish when applied, I presume so?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks for the reply guys I appreciate it a lot, and I'm located in Marlton area near cherry hill and Moorestown and yea the previous owner didn't take care of it as much I would have liked but that's all in the past cause I'm going to take excellent care of her

1 - 14 of 14 Posts