6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
spalding12 said:
take a look at THIS link:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Aug/060808j.htm

my guess is that SPEED won't be increasing it's motorcycle coverage any time soon...
nor will any network be thinking about "mainstreaming" motorcycle racing in the near future
it still boggles my mind people would rather watch cars go around in circles than motorcycle racing. i swear it must be something in the budweiser :stickpoke

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matty said:
it still boggles my mind people would rather watch cars go around in circles than motorcycle racing. i swear it must be something in the budweiser :stickpoke
nothing is hotter in racing than NASCAR...
it is AMAZING
i can't stand it
but... you have to admit.... it is exciting when there are 50 lead changes in most races.... and folks just LOVE big crashes.... they surely have plenty

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
398 Posts
spalding12 said:
nothing is hotter in racing than NASCAR...
it is AMAZING
i can't stand it
but... you have to admit.... it is exciting when there are 50 lead changes in most races.... and folks just LOVE big crashes.... they surely have plenty
Lead changes are nice and the crashes are great but Americans follow Nascar because they know the drivers. There born and bred in the USA and see them all the time on posters, adds, magazines, pop machines, lunch boxes, etc...

Find an American racer just like Rossi and the marketing machine that is the USA will know what motorcycle racing is. I like Nicky, Colin, and Hopkins but they are not mainstream aka Michael Jordan esk. There just simply racing in a series that Rossi has made famous for his charasmatic way. Nicky is very likable, down to earth, nice southern values, etc. but as far as being as dominant as Rossi that is yet to be seen and that will ultimately make or break his ability to hit the mainstream exposure here in the USA.

Nicky is making his fair share of marketing dollars but it is coming from overseas companies right now like GAS jeans, arai, and alpinestar.

We have made strides though having Jay Leno getting the Hayden boys on National TV, and Nicky making People magazine. That's pretty small though in the grand scheme of things as far as exposure.

I did notice however that every major paper in Indiana had a write up on Nicky before Laguna and a winners article after the race in the front page of the sports section. :)

Not to count out Rossi or any other MotoGP rider but America needs Nicky to win this championship this year to get the exposure maching going here in the USA.

I also think that MJ's racing team could help if they could ever be competitive and I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. I see him getting out in another year or two. He doesn't do well with losing I don't think and now he has his new NBA ownership to keep his attention.

As a side note we have the likes of Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordan, and Ryan Newman born and rasied in the State of Indiana so we have a huge following for oval racing with Nascar here. Not to mention the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400 being held in Indianapolis. I absolutely hate NASCAR! I get to read, see, and dread it 12 months of the year. YUCK!

·
Registered
279 Posts
maybe the viewership would increase if that didnt have such a long time-delay on the races. Especially when u can watch it in real-time on motogp.com!
spalding12 said:
take a look at THIS link:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Aug/060808j.htm

my guess is that SPEED won't be increasing it's motorcycle coverage any time soon...
nor will any network be thinking about "mainstreaming" motorcycle racing in the near future

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MV Manhattan said:
maybe the viewership would increase if that didnt have such a long time-delay on the races. Especially when u can watch it in real-time on motogp.com!
you are correct about that
the thing is that... someone, somewhere will have to "take a chance" on putting live motorcycle racing on TV... knowing that it will be a big MONEY LOSER for a while to come....
in hopes of finding a loyal viewship that will make future airings profitable

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Well, atleast it's DOUBLE what it normally was, which is a good sign. If they don't make coverage more, atleast they'll ALWAYS have USGP coverage...which is a good thing.

You see, the problem with motorcycle racing is, the vast population drives cars. They can't relate at all to a mototcycle...but they can relate to 200MPH in a car. Especially 200MPH for a long ass time. It's like thinking "Imagine having to drive from DC to Florida at 200MPH...it'd take about 3 hours...(like a nascar race)..."

But still...you gotta look at the bright side. 400K households watched Nascar. That means HALF of those people (figuratively speaking) watched the MGP race(200K). That means half of the population that watches racing on television was watching motorcycling....when put realisticly, that's like saying 1/2 the population rides/can relate to motorcycles....

Pretty damn good IMO. Not as impressive as Nascrap, but fairly impressive. You gotta remember, the ratio of people in cages to bikes....and then factor in the ratio of people that watches racing...

Also, don't forget, alot of people watched the GP race from a place like Sneakers or at a bar/restaurant with a bunch of buddies....that significantly reduces the numbers of an already small crowd.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oicdn said:
Well, atleast it's DOUBLE what it normally was, which is a good sign. If they don't make coverage more, atleast they'll ALWAYS have USGP coverage...which is a good thing.

You see, the problem with motorcycle racing is, the vast population drives cars. They can't relate at all to a mototcycle...but they can relate to 200MPH in a car. Especially 200MPH for a long ass time. It's like thinking "Imagine having to drive from DC to Florida at 200MPH...it'd take about 3 hours...(like a nascar race)..."

But still...you gotta look at the bright side. 400K households watched Nascar. That means HALF of those people (figuratively speaking) watched the MGP race(200K). That means half of the population that watches racing on television was watching motorcycling....when put realisticly, that's like saying 1/2 the population rides/can relate to motorcycles....

Pretty damn good IMO. Not as impressive as Nascrap, but fairly impressive. You gotta remember, the ratio of people in cages to bikes....and then factor in the ratio of people that watches racing...

Also, don't forget, alot of people watched the GP race from a place like Sneakers or at a bar/restaurant with a bunch of buddies....that significantly reduces the numbers of an already small crowd.
quite well put...
i hope there really is a bright future for motocycle racing on mainstream television

·
Registered
279 Posts
Why dont we pitch the DirecTV and major cable companies to carry it as PPV?? I bet they wouldn't lose money that way

spalding12 said:
you are correct about that
the thing is that... someone, somewhere will have to "take a chance" on putting live motorcycle racing on TV... knowing that it will be a big MONEY LOSER for a while to come....
in hopes of finding a loyal viewship that will make future airings profitable

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
225 Posts
rramseyr said:
Lead changes are nice and the crashes are great but Americans follow Nascar because they know the drivers. There born and bred in the USA and see them all the time on posters, adds, magazines, pop machines, lunch boxes, etc...
I was in Houston in the summer of 2001 Colin Edwards was WSB champion and Kenny Roberts 500 GP champion and no one that I met knew anything about either of them. What was far worse for me was that Colin Edwards is not only a really great racer but from Houston born and bred and still lives there now! :stickpoke

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
reptile said:
I was in Houston in the summer of 2001 Colin Edwards was WSB champion and Kenny Roberts 500 GP champion and no one that I met knew anything about either of them. What was far worse for me was that Colin Edwards is not only a really great racer but from Houston born and bred and still lives there now! :stickpoke
that really says it all....
the funny thing is that folks from texas are very egocentric (from a "state" point-of-view)
they love all things texas.... and texans
that makes it even worse

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I was at a Sunday Cup club meet in the UK at Cadwell park, and sat up a few feet from me on the grass was Colin Edwards and a few guys from HRC UK. You really wouldn't have known he was World Superbike Champion!

So, do we take from all this that motorcycle racing wont get mainstrea exposure in the US until or unless US riders are able to dominate it? If so, that's pretty sad. (Of course, it kind of makes you wonder about the mentality that engenders if you grow up never being exposed to anything your home country doesn't dominate - but that's scarily close to a political discussion so I'll back away from that one!) Heh - if UK tv worked like that we'd be sport free!!:)

MotoGP is *huge* in the UK. I'd say about 80% of ordinary people you stopped on the street could probably tell you who Valentino Rossi is ,whether they're personally into bikes or not. I know many people who have no wish to ride a bike, but routinely watch MotoGP. And I don't even remember the last time a Brit won a GP, but it's on live (usually unless there's a huge time difference), on BBC1 which is a wholly mainstream channel.

I remember when I was first living in Canada and SpeedVision started. they had so much bike racing, mostly WSBK and AMA, but it was bikes nonetheless. Then after a year it went all NASCAR and I stopped watching. Everyone I knew who rode bikes emailed SV asking them for more bikes but all we ever got back was they were responding to what their market research told them people wanted to watch...

What you need to do is bombard your satellite/cable providers with requests that they carry the British EuroSport channel and you'll get more bike racing than you can handle. (Of course then you'll have to likely put up with listening to British presenters going on about how well the 18th placed Brit did, while ignoring the winning American!)

Si

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's always been different in the US.... for better or worse
people in other part of the world think about the US like they would England or France... believing that all americans are alike
remember that the US is as bg as all of europe combined
remember this:
if the MotoGP was dominated by south americans and was PRIMARILY run in south america... no one in europe would care either...

i hope you see my point
america is used to liking sports where someone from the US dominates MUCH THE SAME WAY as europeans have learned to love sports where someone from europe has dominated

it's no different

·
Registered
279 Posts
The other thing to never forget, guys, is that NASCAR is a HUGE marketing machine. It is the largest US spectator sport, sadly, and commands and dominates every market it occupies. There isn't any company out there involved in mcycle racing sponsorships that can compete against them. NASCAR dictates what the TV stations will cover, and when.... thats just the way the broadcasting business works. If you thought it was about what the viewer wants...think again

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
your thoughts are exactly right
in universities ALL OVER THE WORLD (not just in the US) they are teaching marketing classes based on the strategies put forth by NASCAR.....

think about it.....
cars that "look" like those you can buy yourself...... going pretty quickly IN A FREAKIN' CIRCLE for 4 HOURS..... and they've found a way to make the series 10 times more profitable than EVERY OTHER FORUM OF 4-WHEELED RACING ON THE PLANET...... COMBINED

by the way....
last year's Craftsman Truck Series made more money than F1..... how interesting is THAT?

·
Registered
225 Posts
spalding12 said:
it's always been different in the US.... for better or worse
people in other part of the world think about the US like they would England or France... believing that all americans are alike
remember that the US is as bg as all of europe combined
remember this:
if the MotoGP was dominated by south americans and was PRIMARILY run in south america... no one in europe would care either...

i hope you see my point
america is used to liking sports where someone from the US dominates MUCH THE SAME WAY as europeans have learned to love sports where someone from europe has dominated

it's no different
Actually this is half right but I don't believe that this is fully the case. The reasons why Europeans and Brits take such an interest in moto GP and superbike is because a lot of Europeans and Brits ride bikes and in the UK especially most of the bikes sold are sports bikes. The US has AMA superbikes and from what I understand that is not overly popular over there and it's a domestic US series whereas UK superbikes is very popular.
America (except possibly CA) just does not understand or like sports bikes and there are very few on the roads. :drummer:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Man SpeedChannel is wack!!!

If they would educate the public more about MotoGP, it would increase the fan base.

I think more Americans would be interested if they knew what the hell was at stake; for instance, the amount of money that's involved(Rossi's M1 is $30 million), preparation, technology, skill, talent, horsepower, the rider's salaries, etc....

We just need to get EuroSportLive channel here in the states!!!
Check out their Brno coverage, Fri, Sat, and Sun coverage!!!

http://www.eurosport.com/tvschedule_clng0_day6.shtml

Screw the SpeedChannel!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Matty said:
I remember when Kevin Schwantz (Texas boy) was MotoGP champion of the world and the local media barely gave him the time of day, much less national coverage. Anywhere else in the world he would have gotten a ticker tape parade and a hero's welcome.

·
Registered
261 Posts
spalding12 said:
quite well put...
i hope there really is a bright future for motocycle racing on mainstream television
Maybe we need our own "Ricky Bobby" sponsored by Walmart and Budweiser riding an American made MotoGP bike. Oh wait, there are no American made MotoGP bikes, maybe THATs the problem. Now, if Harley would get of its ass......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts