MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right after purchasing my bike, I noticed gas was leaking through one of the hoses. They confirmed the tank had to be replaced. After months of waiting (they couldn’t find a matching tank, only had a red one available) I received my new tank and the tank was all good until now. So yesterday, I went to wipe off what I thought was a bit of dirt and I saw that the paint was cracking. Upon further inspection, I noticed that in between the cracks, was red paint.
Now this had me 🤔....
Did they paint over the pre-existing tank to pass it off as a grey one? Has anyone else experienced this “paint cracking” issue? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Right after purchasing my bike, I noticed gas was leaking through one of the hoses. They confirmed the tank had to be replaced. After months of waiting (they couldn’t find a matching tank, only had a red one available) I received my new tank and the tank was all good until now. So yesterday, I went to wipe off what I thought was a bit of dirt and I saw that the paint was cracking. Upon further inspection, I noticed that in between the cracks, was red paint.
Now this had me 🤔....
Did they paint over the pre-existing tank to pass it off as a grey one? Has anyone else experienced this “paint cracking” issue? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!!!
It is very difficult to answer your question about them painting over the red. I would obviously contact them.

My 2 cents: I can't believe that somebody would paint on top of the current paint without stripping... I think that if they did that, you should run away from these people. They should have told you they were "offering" to repaint it, and then they should have stripped the existing paint.

·
Super Moderator
21,434 Posts
In order to change color on sound original paint, all that is required is a paint prep wash to remove any wax, oils, and silicones and then a "scuff" to kill the shine and promote adhesion of the new paint. Two coats of color, one of clear and bingo a new tank color. There is no need to remove the original paint.

Now, to the issue of cracking: MV uses Acerbis to make their plastic tanks. The material Acerbis sued to make early tanks was not compatible with ethanol and the ethanol would swell those tanks. That swelling cause the cracking you see. I have had this happen to a 2010 B4 Brutale and a 2015 B3 800 RR.

There is supposed to be a Gray Dot on the tank to indicate it is a newer material that is less susceptible to this ethanol swelling issue.

There are many threads on this....with pictures.

·
Registered
445 Posts
That grey dot means nothing. I’ve had three tanks with it. Third one is now cracking just like the rest.

It may be better plastic but it still sucks. Why plastic on a consumer model?

·
Super Moderator
21,434 Posts
That grey dot means nothing. I’ve had three tanks with it. Third one is now cracking just like the rest.

It may be better plastic but it still sucks. Why plastic on a consumer model?
Plastic is used simply because it is easier to form into complex shapes.

·
Administrator
18,843 Posts
Why plastic on a consumer model?
Brutale model has had plastic tanks since inception.... Mine has never had an issue. Newer bikes got a new plastic composition and had problems....not just MV, other brands too. That has been addressed with the plastic engineers. Nothing wrong with plastic if it is made with the right ingredients.

Old Ducatis and other bikes with fiberglass tanks had problems too..... even without ethanol.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Why plastic on a consumer model?
Brutale model has had plastic tanks since inception.... Mine has never had an issue. Newer bikes got a new plastic composition and had problems....not just MV, other brands too. That has been addressed with the plastic engineers. Nothing wrong with plastic if it is made with the right ingredients.

Old Ducatis and other bikes with fiberglass tanks had problems too..... even without ethanol.
If nothing is wrong with the plastic then why is it reacting with the ethanol in my gas?

It seems that a new tank design is in order for MV Agusta. They’re losing money.

·
Administrator
18,843 Posts
You need to have a discussion with MV USA and your dealer..... ethanol related problems with MV tanks ceased to be an issue a while back. At least, complaints seem to have dropped away to nothing globally (from this forums responses, anyway). Ducati also had big problems (among others).

·
Registered
416 Posts
No tank problems on my 2018 Dragster RR, and we have ethanol 10% gas here in Texas, USA. I have had the bike almost a year. Dealer did tell me to add S 100 gas treatment to keep water from separating.

Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now this had me 🤔....
It is very difficult to answer your question about them painting over the red. I would obviously contact them.

My 2 cents: I can't believe that somebody would paint on top of the current paint without stripping... I think that if they did that, you should run away from these people. They should have told you they were "offering" to repaint it, and then they should have stripped the existing paint.

I hope this isn’t actually the case too. I will be contacting my local MV dealer and try to get this resolved asap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In order to change color on sound original paint, all that is required is a paint prep wash to remove any wax, oils, and silicones and then a "scuff" to kill the shine and promote adhesion of the new paint. Two coats of color, one of clear and bingo a new tank color. There is no need to remove the original paint.

Now, to the issue of cracking: MV uses Acerbis to make their plastic tanks. The material Acerbis sued to make early tanks was not compatible with ethanol and the ethanol would swell those tanks. That swelling cause the cracking you see. I have had this happen to a 2010 B4 Brutale and a 2015 B3 800 RR.

There is supposed to be a Gray Dot on the tank to indicate it is a newer material that is less susceptible to this ethanol swelling issue.

There are many threads on this....with pictures.
Where can I find this “dot” & where did you get this information from? I was informed about their acerbis tanks and the swelling issue so I keep the tank filled no more than half way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for your woes! Pics would be nice
Yes! Why didn’t I think of that?!! Here you go. All this reading had me thinking... when the original was replaced, this newer one had this bizarre looking wavy paint job (on the sides where my knee/inner thigh sits). You couldn’t really see so I ignored it but now I’m wondering if this is normal 🤔.... I’m going to be listing a few more later.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,434 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,434 Posts
I had pictures of my tank side warpage and fuel leakage for MV Agusta when I made the warranty claim. I cannot find those pictures now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had pictures of my tank side warpage and fuel leakage for MV Agusta when I made the warranty claim. I cannot find those pictures now.

You didn’t have to go thru all that trouble but thanks for the links!! 🙏
I came across an article speaking of tank coating. I believe it was from GTL advantage. I’m not sure if the newer tanks are already coated but if I was to have this done, wouldn’t it void my warranty? Any locations near the North East coast?

·
Super Moderator
21,434 Posts
The tank coatings are do-it-yourself and the instructions are easy to follow.

If you have a new tank, you should not have to coat it.

Use a quality ethanol treatment and keep your tank completely full, or completely empty, when storing for a long period.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
You didn’t have to go thru all that trouble but thanks for the links!! 🙏
I came across an article speaking of tank coating. I believe it was from GTL advantage. I’m not sure if the newer tanks are already coated but if I was to have this done, wouldn’t it void my warranty? Any locations near the North East coast?
Which Northesst coast?? Help us help you. Put your location in your profile.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts