MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
S**t!!

It's been like this for some time now.
I have a seized screw on the ride height adjuster that i just can't make it to move.
I guess it must have been the heat or something because i have never passed the torque mark, but what i know is that (after unsing the correct tool to remove it since the beginig, letting it soak in wd40 for a day, using the all kinds of things to take it off since the correct tool now passes itself, etc...) the little bastard is unmovable :jerkoff::bash:

What should i do now?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Not sure if it is possible but heat could do the thing. Had a bolt on the hub on the car which would not come off. At the shop they had to heat it up to get it off.

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
I would use a hammer and a screwdriver and center the screwdriver up on the head of the bolt...and with light taps try to un-jolt it or...
light taps with a rubber mallet if there's room to allow..... or use a heat gun to warm it up, not to hot, maybe that'll work.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
That's a socket head cap screw correct? Find a junk allen wrench that was the correct size and lightly tig it to the bolt. Then just twist it out. You may want to soak it in Kroil first.

CAG

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if it is possible but heat could do the thing. Had a bolt on the hub on the car which would not come off. At the shop they had to heat it up to get it off.
Thanks i'll try the heat thing next.

I would use a hammer and a screwdriver and center the screwdriver up on the head of the bolt...and with light taps try to un-jolt it or...
light taps with a rubber mallet if there's room to allow..... or use a heat gun to warm it up, not to hot, maybe that'll work.
Thanks.
Been there done that, except for the heat.

That's a socket head cap screw correct? Find a junk allen wrench that was the correct size and lightly tig it to the bolt. Then just twist it out. You may want to soak it in Kroil first.

CAG
If i understood it correctly (my english sucks) that's also a good next option, thanks.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
A little heat from a propane plumber's torch to the aluminum adjuster would probably work, but if the adjuster is anodized it will probably mess that up. If the Hex head is intact I would just get a longer lever. I prefer the hex sockets as opposed to the wrenches since it is easier to put a breaker bar on a socket than it is to extend the allen wrench. But you can use a box end wrench for more leverage. If the cap is no longer hex, but rounded invest in a good screw extractor kit to remove it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little heat from a propane plumber's torch to the aluminum adjuster would probably work, but if the adjuster is anodized it will probably mess that up. If the Hex head is intact I would just get a longer lever. I prefer the hex sockets as opposed to the wrenches since it is easier to put a breaker bar on a socket than it is to extend the allen wrench. But you can use a box end wrench for more leverage. If the cap is no longer hex, but rounded invest in a good screw extractor kit to remove it.
Thanks Rob.

But it's not an hex head screw. It's an allen key headed screw, but the head is literally screwed by now :banghead:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I thought I am the only one expert in destroying bolts, but I see this talent is gifted to others too.

So, you should try with the next larger size of a hex head, by hitting it with a hummer. If it doesn’t work, than your drilling machine is the doctor.

Ps It has happened to me so many times, that now I am paying a technician to do, even, simple works, but they cost me much less as I was doing them by myself. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
reversed thread screw/bolt extractor ? Kinda like a reversed threaded drill bit.
Hmmm.... sounds good as long as it doesn't messes up the ajuster thread.
But what exactly is that tool?

I thought I am the only one expert in destroying bolts, but I see this talent is gifted to others too.

So, you should try with the next larger size of a hex head, by hitting it with a hummer. If it doesn’t work, than your drilling machine is the doctor.

Ps It has happened to me so many times, that now I am paying a technician to do, even, simple works, but they cost me much less as I was doing them by myself. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

:laughing::laughing:

I guess we're part of a handful of choosen ones :toothless

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Thanks Rob.

But it's not an hex head screw. It's an allen key headed screw, but the head is literally screwed by now :banghead:
That is what I meant by hex head screw (I didn't know if they where socket cap screws in EU also). You just need a good extractor set and a drill. Invest in a really good set, because if they break off inside the screw it is a pain in the ass (ask me how I know). You simply drill a pilot hole in the screw, insert the extractor and turn CCW. As you turn the extractor bites into the screw making it grab more as you loosen. works like a charm...

You are looking for one of these:

make sure you use the appropriate size drill bit for the extractor. Select the extractor that will bit into the shaft of the screw and not just the head otherwise you will just shear off the head.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is what I meant by hex head screw (I didn't know if they where socket cap screws in EU also). You just need a good extractor set and a drill. Invest in a really good set, because if they break off inside the screw it is a pain in the ass (ask me how I know). You simply drill a pilot hole in the screw, insert the extractor and turn CCW. As you turn the extractor bites into the screw making it grab more as you loosen. works like a charm...

You are looking for one of these:

Ah, awesome. Got it now.
Thanks a lot Rob :smoking:

P.S. i'm not doing it myself as my mechanical skills suck

·
Administrator
18,834 Posts
Be careful. Don't use one that is so big diameter that there is little metal left after drilling the hole. It can expand the screw and makes it even tighter. Use a propane torch to heat the surrounding metal to help expand it away from the seized screw.

Like RobP said: "invest in a really good set, because if they break off inside the screw it is a pain in the ass (ask me how I know)."....ask ME how I know.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ditto on what RobP said. Snap off an easy out, and you'll be taking it to a machinist and paying them extra to remove hardened steel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is it Left Hand thread or right hand thread? because Easy-Outs only work on Right Hand threads

Before trying all the others have you tried to grip the head of the bolt with Vice grips (mole grips) and using them to lever the bolt off?

Impact drivers are also very good for extracting VERY tight screws particularly Cap head/Allen Head and phillips type heads as the impact and rotation happen at exactly the same time.

I have often rounded and broken all sorts of fasteners hence my username

good luck

·
Registered
571 Posts
OK, boys,
We spend a lot of money to get the high quality tools, we take the half, even the hole, space reserved for our private workshop, than we buy the most comfortable chair and start reading the owners and repair manuals. But we DO NOT touch the tools from fear to destroy them as well:loser:. Live the dirty work for the others.
We are devoted to fast riding!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it Left Hand thread or right hand thread? because Easy-Outs only work on Right Hand threads

Before trying all the others have you tried to grip the head of the bolt with Vice grips (mole grips) and using them to lever the bolt off?

Impact drivers are also very good for extracting VERY tight screws particularly Cap head/Allen Head and phillips type heads as the impact and rotation happen at exactly the same time.

I have often rounded and broken all sorts of fasteners hence my username

good luck
Thanks.

Yes i tried with vice grips (had to look that on google, lol) with no results.
But i'l give it another try before taking more drastic measures, just in case....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts