Administrator
19,794 Posts
Your battery is too weak.

Reactions: theknurl

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly, swapped it out and put a second in and fully charged it. Same thing happened. Could be unlucky to get through 3. A BS one and two yuasa’s. I’ve got a separate charger and will charge the one that’s out. And install it tomorrow to double check

·
Super Moderator
22,301 Posts
Get rid of the BS battery.

Fully charge one of the Yuasa batteries and install it, or charge the installed battery.

Once the battery has been trickle charge overnight, or preferably for 24 hours, attempt a restart.

·
Super Moderator
22,301 Posts
Could be.

Do any error messages show up on the dash?

Does the fuel pump prime?

·
Administrator
19,794 Posts
Put your voltmeter across the battery terminal while cranking and observe. (At least to the battery positive, negative meter lead can go to a chassis ground point)

If voltage drops anywhere near 9~10 volts while cranking then you have a weak battery.

Mileage on the bike?? When was last time it ran?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was run about two weeks ago, got a flat and was waiting for tyre to be delivered. Tried to start to take it down garage and it’s started doing what it’s doing.

No error msgs. Fuel pump primes. 20k miles

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don’t think it’s the battery to be honest. It had issues with alternator which has been replaced. I done batt/reg/alt to death

·
Super Moderator
22,301 Posts
I don’t think it’s the battery to be honest. It had issues with alternator which has been replaced. I done batt/reg/alt to death
Ok, then what do you think it is?

My $0.02: The engine is obviously turning over without sufficient speed for the ECU to know that everything is set to start.

There are only a couple of reasons for this: One would be SPRAG slippage. I don't hear that in your example.

The second is insufficient starting current to roll the engine fast enough to start. Your battery MAY be fine. Your alternator MAY be fine. Electric Power delivery to your starter motor is insufficient for some reason. If you believe your battery has the CCA to last through the start cycle (it doesn't sound like it does), then check the connections at your starting solenoid. The starting solenoid is on the right side of your bike near the fuses and it is circled in red in the following image. Disconnect, clean and reconnect those wires and check for loose connections at the plastic plug on the solenoid.

1.JPG

·
Super Moderator
22,301 Posts
Also clean and check this ground connection:

1.JPG

·
Registered
14,486 Posts
?

Digital;
From the video.....
It's cranking too slowly battery/system connections
Sounds like a sprag clutch clattering and it didn't pop once
There may be a low rpm cutoff in the ECU to try to protect the sprag clutch

When the sprag issue 1st came up I posted "that a low battery will kill the sprag clutch "
Many had the problem on the Aprilia Forum RSVR '04-'09......I didn't

Get some of the triple owners to listen to the video

:wink2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally, limited in knowledge that I am, I think it’s something to do with either the sprag or the sparks.

There’s no pop when starting which leads me to think sparks.

There’s a clacking in the video which I’ve not heard previously. Which directs me to sprag. It’s not started well for ages in terms of clutch in. I’ve always had to only pull in clutch slightly and then press starter. I’ve got one of these due to be coming as part of the issues mv have had with them.

It also had a valve clearance done about two months ago, which I’m hoping has nothing to do with the issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
waiting for a sprag to be deliverede from MV under warranty.

In the interim, would a portable jump starter fire it up? Or would this just be a waste of money?

·
Super Moderator
22,301 Posts
The idea here is to get the engine turning fast enough to engage the sprag sufficiently so that it maintains engagement.
A portable jump start device might do that...and it might not.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It sounded like it started to fire several times in the second video. I'd hook a fresh battery or jump it off a car battery (car not running!) to see if the battery was still the issue. There is not a logical reason it would not start after sitting other than the battery being kaput. If you had issues with the charging system before and ran the bike down several times, your battery could well be toasted.

It will seemingly take a charge, but a cell or two could be internally shorted.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
It's grasping straws but it seemed to try to fire up and I fink it's gagging for fuel.

In both your movie clips I couldn't hear the fuel pump prime...Don't disbelieve you but I didn't hear it and I listened pretty carefully with the sound up on my comp.

Check you have voltage at the fuse which serves the injectors and the fuel pump and coils.. ( I'm assuming similar to earlier bikes as I don't have a wiring diagram ).

Check volts at fuel pump..and coils as you are in there.

Check you have voltage at the injectors...On the older bikes the ecu grounds the injectors, coils and fuel pump to make it operate..so there should be 12v or so at the injector etc after switch on.

If no volts then the relevant relay would have to be suspect.

Does the exhaust smell of fuel...?

I don't know how the broke spragg clutch sounds but it sounds a bit icky !

Best of luck wi' it

Joe

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fuel pump definitely primes and there is a noticeable smell of fuel.

Silent, do you mean the jump start wouldn't work if the sprag was slipping?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts