MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, no fire anyway...

OK, so I finally sold my beloved 910S to a nice fella here in Vegas. All was well. The bike fired up, he took for a test ride and came back with an ear to ear grin. Signed the paperwork and exchanged money. The next day all was fine as well. He logged about 50 miles on her no problem.

Now, yesterday morning, he went to go for a ride, put the key in, hit the start button and nothing. All it did was crank and crank crank. No fire.

NOTHING. He did this until the battery died. I came over to help with charger in town and we got the battery up and good again and still nothing. Fuel pump seems good as the bike is getting gas and we can smell gas fumes out the exhaust.

Checked all the fuses and everything seems to be in order. Swapped out some fuses just to be use and still the same result. It just cranks over but never fires.

did not check for spark at the plugs because we did not have the proper tools to remove the plugs.

This is something I have never seen before. Any ideas as to the cause?

My brother had a TL-1000S that did the EXACT same thing a few years ago and it turned out being bad gas. He drained the tank and put in fresh gas from a different station and it fired right up.

I put a fresh tank in when I sold him the bike 3 days ago from the same station that I have always gotten gas and never had anything like this happen. I am going to bring him a few gallons of new gas from a different station today but sans that, what else could it be?

I am stumped here. I feel bad for the guy because he just got the thing from me and I take it a little personal as I pride myself in everything I do including selling things so when this kinda thing happens so soon, i get frustrated.

thoughts? Thank you in advance!

- J

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My only other thought is perhaps a plug went out and maybe it has some fail safe system that wont allow the other cylinders to fire to save from damage? The plugs have about 6500 miles on them.

The bike is on the north side of 11,000 miles and again has never given me a problem like this before.

- J

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
Completely stock bike???

No fail safe and each plug has its own coil. Crank position sensor failure maybe, but very rare. You can test it with a volt-ohm meter. Search the engine workshop manual on Donsy's site (see sticky in maintenance section on manuals).

All the fuses are good? The VDST software can show you any FI system fault codes if you have access.

Sorry, got no magic wand in my bag but I'll wager it is something very basic and simple. Just finding it may not be simple, especially if you aren't a knowledgeable tech with the proper tools.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Completely stock bike???

No fail safe and each plug has its own coil. Crank position sensor failure maybe, but very rare. You can test it with a volt-ohm meter. Search the engine workshop manual on Donsy's site (see sticky in maintenance section on manuals).

All the fuses are good? The VDST software can show you any FI system fault codes if you have access.

Sorry, got no magic wand in my bag but I'll wager it is something very basic and simple. Just finding it may not be simple, especially if you aren't a knowledgeable tech with the proper tools.
Stock other than arrow full ti system. No chip as far as I am aware (euro3 bike)

I suspected crank sensor, but that would also have implications on the FI and from what I can tell, the FI is functioning properly.

I figured as much on the spark and coil system

I will check over the workshop manual to check the sensor.

Fuses are all good (unless there is more fuses that I couldnt find - checked both mains and fuse panel under right side cover).

Dont have the diag software or anyway to interface with it. There is a dealer locally now but fear it will be several hundred dollars just to plug it in and run diag and I hate to do this to the new owner.

what is the chance the ECU would have taken a crap on this? would think that would have some recourse on the FI as well.

maybe bad gas combined with flooding due to bad gas?

- Justin

·
Super Moderator
22,507 Posts
What year is this bike and is is subject to the Notorious SPU issue?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What year is this bike and is is subject to the Notorious SPU issue?
2008 - unknown about the SPU issues???

Have you checked for bubbles in the fuel tank when you crank it ?
I have not but will today! If i find bubbles, what would that mean and what should I do? A hose in the tank has gone bad? (not the first time with this, but had the recall done but suspect they only snipped the ends of the existing hoses and reinstalled).

- J

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yours is the right age to be the spu. Besides not starting does it do any other odd things.when mine went it had been sat in the garage over winter.went to the garage one morning and the headlight was on keys were in the house

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yours is the right age to be the spu. Besides not starting does it do any other odd things.when mine went it had been sat in the garage over winter.went to the garage one morning and the headlight was on keys were in the house
Nothing strange at all... it liked the kill batteries in about 10 months because I never really rode it much, but most bikes do that if you dont keep up on them. Put a brand new battery in the thing the day I sold it.

there was no signs leading up to anything being wrong.

so I should check on an SPU? that sounds expensive.

- J

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My $10 is on the fuel lines in the tank.
I hope so. I know how to do that and its relatively inexpensive... that will be the first thing I check today then.

- Justin

·
Registered
203 Posts
My $10 is on the fuel lines in the tank.
I don't think so :(

Well, no fire anyway...
NOTHING. He did this until the battery died. I came over to help with charger in town and we got the battery up and good again and still nothing. Fuel pump seems good as the bike is getting gas and we can smell gas fumes out the exhaust.

- J
Because I had a problem with fuel lines, and there was no smell of gas in the exhaust.

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
2008 Euro3 bike ...it is not the SPU. After the factory fixed that issue.

You have a full Ti exhaust, that means you have a "kit" ECU...what happened to original ECU and exhaust? You could swap the ECU to test (pain to do, however).

Pull the plugs out and have a look. Could be fouled. You can then check for spark while you have them out....head to a Jap motorcycle shop and buy iridium plugs.

Good luck

·
Registered
825 Posts
Help - no spark

Go with Donsy. Same thing just happened to me. Open the fuel cap and listen for a running water sound and look for waves/bubbles when you switch ignition on. One of the fuel pipes comes off the fuel pump, only secured with a stupid 'click r' clamp. Rode to work then wouldn't start when I left, just ran the battery down.

If you want to check, take the tank and air box off and spray a bit of fuel from a spray pack down the throttle body inlets. I bet it'll start then, only briefly. Then follow the threads on the site dealing with this.

Cheers

Deano

·
Vendor
5,373 Posts
This may sound like a really stupid question but he hasn't hit the kill switch has he?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go with Donsy. Same thing just happened to me. Open the fuel cap and listen for a running water sound and look for waves/bubbles when you switch ignition on. One of the fuel pipes comes off the fuel pump, only secured with a stupid 'click r' clamp. Rode to work then wouldn't start when I left, just ran the battery down.

If you want to check, take the tank and air box off and spray a bit of fuel from a spray pack down the throttle body inlets. I bet it'll start then, only briefly. Then follow the threads on the site dealing with this.

Cheers

Deano
DING DING DING DING!

clamp failed on the main fuel line hose... has some other issues getting the plate off the bottom that took all day but other than that, and easy fix with new SS clamps

- J

·
Super Moderator
22,507 Posts
Glad to hear it was the common hose problem! (That was second choice for me, Dons...)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The fun part about all this was pulling the pump plate. The shop in colorado was the last ones to crack that open and apparently zapped the bolts down so hard that it cracked around the holes of the plate. 2 of the bolts were cross threaded in and ended up spinning the embedded nuts in the tank. Had to drill them out and was able to remove the remainder of the crossed bolts and then had to re-melt the plastic around the embedded nuts and then recut the threads. That was fun. Tank has all new stainless hardware inside and out now. New owner should be good to go now. And as a bonus, the new owner has been super cool about this whole thing (If it were me, i would be FURIOUS) and we have become good friends. Were going to go riding this afternoon if all works! Going to be strange seeing my baby in the hands of someone else tho. Im sure he will be registering here soon.

- J

1 - 20 of 27 Posts