MV Agusta Forum banner
301 - 305 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Both the top hat spacer and the inner spacer have flat edges. The concave you see is the spacer getting worn. Literally, the inner races are digging into the spacers. This is why, from MV, both spacers are the only parts of the hub assembly that you can order separately.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Both the top hat spacer and the inner spacer have flat edges. The concave you see is the spacer getting worn. Literally, the inner races are digging into the spacers. This is why, from MV, both spacers are the only parts of the hub assembly that you can order separately.
I find this very hard to believe. If the load was so great, then the edges of the centre spacer and top hat would have mushroomed out leaving a bur either side of the wear.
Remember all these parts spin in unison, when all bearings are turning there is only the side load of the wheel nut torque on them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I find this very hard to believe. If the load was so great, then the edges of the centre spacer and top hat would have mushroomed out leaving a bur either side of the wear.
Remember all these parts spin in unison, when all bearings are turning there is only the side load of the wheel nut torque on them.
Here is an image of a brand new sleeve and top hat spacer I have on hand.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Cylinder Automotive wheel system

These other images are from when I found wear on them years ago when my 910R was at about 48,000 miles:
Wood Rim Circle Electric blue Audio equipment
Rim Automotive tire Circle Auto part Carbon

·
Registered
476 Posts
Here's my post on my discovery back in 2018 of the wear on the spacers:

The suggestion seems to be that sometimes the sprocket-side axle nut will loosen enough to allow the spacers and races to spin separately causing the wear. It is hard for me to believe that can happen, but the fact is, they do wear. I just don't think many people put enough miles on their bikes so it is rare to see. Who knows?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok, it finally all makes sense now, after 15 pages of guessing.
I notice on the pics you posted that there is some double grooves and burring.
Mine had none of that, they were just a perfect fit, which is why I thought they must have been machined that way to create more surface area.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Reactions: lc_brutale
301 - 305 of 305 Posts