MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 F4 SPR, but the engine number doesn't seem to match the VIN. The limited edition number on the headstock is also missing... alarm bells are ringing!

At first I wanted to find out what the limited edition number is (--/300), but I drew a blank here when checking the VIN I have.

Is there any way of tracing what should be the matching VIN against the engine number I have?

Secondly, is the VIN contained anywhere else within the bodywork of the bike that I can cross check, other than on the frame?

A guy at MV Agusta has told me that he can't trace back from an engine number alone, which is a shame.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
The Vin and engine numbers don't correspond, well they don't on my bike at least.
Where did you get the VIN number you have if there's nothing on the frame ?
Has the bike been scrapped by insurance ?
PS. The others will come along shortly with better info, welcome to the forum in the meantime.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
You could try to contact the technical department of MV Agusta SpA over their web page www.mvagusta.com.
At least the dyne charts of Your engine should be available since they store them.
And I guess it would be traceable which engine should be in Your frame.

·
Administrator
19,855 Posts
Welcome to the family Mr Egg......what is the VIN ?
The SPR is a 2004 model. The VIN also contains some details about the vehicle. I can compare it to my SPR's VIN and maybe that will yield something....but like Ralff said, email the factory. They should have all the details.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello, Esq'z me

Thanks very much for your offer of help.
Here is the situation I am in: I have checked my VIN, and it belongs to a standard F4, hence whenever I check back the details they come up clear, except for a suspicious colour change from red to black!
Now of course there were no red SPRs, and the bike is definitely an SPR.
These are the facts: the engine no on my bike is A307277, and I am pretty sure this is the correct SPR engine no. The VIN is off another bike as mentioned (a red F4), and when I said the engine number doesn't match the VIN, I meant that I have traced the correct engine no for the red F4 VIN and it is not the engine I have.

It would be great if you could compare your engine no and your limited edition no, because then I may be able to work out what my ltd edition number would have been, if they were applied in sequence. (I already have another friend's engine number and ltd edition number to cross-check my theory).

Thanks very much again for any help.

·
Super Moderator
22,351 Posts
Contact CAG on this forum via PM...I believe he is selling, or parting out, an SPR.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
numbers ?

VIN and engine numbers won't match..... different number of characters

With old bikes they usually matched.......they got hand stamped after assembly

It may be an F4 with all the SPR parts you need to do the research

Good luck and Welcome Aboard the Forum

:drummer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I should clarify - by matching numbers, I mean corresponding numbers, not actually 'matching.' I hope that makes it a little clearer. So when I say my engine number doesn't match, I mean that the doc with my VIN number says that my engine should have a different number to what it actually has.
I am pursuing it with MV Agusta's tech team right now. Please keep adding comments! Any help is good help right now.

·
Super Moderator
22,351 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the engine is what made the SPR special.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
normally the limited series are build in one batch so if yout vin is in the range of 300 of something like tis http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showpost.php?p=68893&postcount=1
you might have a real one

Thanks very much for your offer of help.
Here is the situation I am in: I have checked my VIN, and it belongs to a standard F4, hence whenever I check back the details they come up clear, except for a suspicious colour change from red to black!
Now of course there were no red SPRs, and the bike is definitely an SPR.
These are the facts: the engine no on my bike is A307277, and I am pretty sure this is the correct SPR engine no. The VIN is off another bike as mentioned (a red F4), and when I said the engine number doesn't match the VIN, I meant that I have traced the correct engine no for the red F4 VIN and it is not the engine I have.

It would be great if you could compare your engine no and your limited edition no, because then I may be able to work out what my ltd edition number would have been, if they were applied in sequence. (I already have another friend's engine number and ltd edition number to cross-check my theory).

Thanks very much again for any help.

·
Super Moderator
22,351 Posts
He'll get back to you...he's a busy guy.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
And the gearbox

Hahaha, I think Chuck meant gearbox to be part of the engine Sam, and then there's the headers and midpipe too :)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Lol sorry dons i know its part of the engine but as a part of the bike that gearbox is a very special part on that bike thought it should have its own merits lol

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Lol sorry dons i know its part of the engine but as a part of the bike that gearbox is a very special part on that bike thought it should have its own merits lol
Sure is special Sam, I've tried to buy one for years, but I'm sorted now.:mouthwate
I can build my own.:ahhh:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sure is special Sam, I've tried to buy one for years, but I'm sorted now.:mouthwate

I can build my own.:ahhh:

Wish i could do that. I can build you a skyscraper no problem but to do anything mechanical is beyond me. Nice work

1 - 20 of 41 Posts