MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did an oil change on the Brutale 1090RR the other day and felt sick. In the pic is what i found attached to the magnet on the oil sump plug. Obviously something is very wrong. The bike is running OK maybe a bit noisier so I would rather fix it now before something really gives way.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I have resigned myself I am up for some expensive repairs but any advice on narrowing down the cause will be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sorry to see that much metal..have no idea what could cause this. Maybe some of the other more experienced members may have seen this. There is always some metal shavings present, but I have never seen this much. I have 10K miles on mine. And you?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was in the middle of a 24k service. Bike is serviced regularly. I did have it on the dyno recently and it has a rexxer map which allows it to rev out to 12000rpm. I did have to replace the cam chain tensioner because it had seized. It looked OK once i un-locked it but I replaced it anyway. I am thinking it did not like the dyno.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any excess noise from that area
It was a bit noisier and may have been the clutch. I must admit I was a bit more focused on the top end due to the cam chain tensioner.

Easy enough to pull the cover and have a look though. It is as simple as it looks right? No gotchas sitting in there waiting to launch across the garage?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
All good Rob ,nothing will fall out ,no need to drain oil,just leave it on its stand ,be carefull try to save the gasket

·
Registered
926 Posts
holy CR*P that's a lot, if it was clutch basket it would not be magnetic. Something is not right let us know what you find.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
There is nothing in the top of the motor that would cause that,pistons ,rings ,do not think so,unless part of the wall of the piston has disintegrated ,still not steel,must be in those 2 areas Rob clutch or gearbox ,The other guys will have some ideas .

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Looks like gear material to me. :jsm:
Starter motor and starter motor gear which Cus is talking about is two very different things Eddy, come on , you know this buddy.:stickpoke:)

I imagine it's neither, either way Rob will be pulling the clutch and basket.:ahhh:

I doubt it's top end parts if the bike is still running.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts