MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have an F4-1000R 2007 that won’t start. I’ll start with the back story. Bike sat for quite some time without being ran. Went out started bike, which ran poorly due to vintage gas, added fresh gas and want for a test ride. Bike ran fine for 20 minutes of so then died. Towed bike home and tried to start but nothing. Primed with a little gas and bike ran for a few seconds then died. I checked usual, fuses etc then walked away from it. Now I’m back.

What I know so far:
1. Bike had worn fuel lines in tank. Degraded and killed fuel pump. I cleaned everything up, rebuilt fuel pump assembly and it works properly delivering fuel to rail.
2. I pulled injectors to see if any of the fuel tank tar had clogged them. Screens seem okay and fuel rail looks clean. I’m going to assume they aren’t clogged at the moment.
3. Fuel injectors are not spraying. I haven’t delved further but suspect they aren’t being triggered.
4. Bike does not appear to have ignition. Where before the bike fired up if given gas now there is nothing.

What have I checked:
1. Main power relay seems okay.
2. ECU seems okay. I have microtech and a good stock ECU and they both don’t change anything.
3. I suspect crank angle sensor, but haven’t tested yet. I can’t find any specs with regards to specs, type etc.
4. I also suspect Cam timing sensor, again no specs.
5. I have tested the tip over sensor and it is okay.
6. I have checked fuses, all seem okay.

So what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. I am officially a DUMB ASS!
So I went out to check the phase sensor and found I had unplugged it in my prior trouble shooting effort. I plugged it in and guess what? It fired up. Problem solved.

·
Administrator
19,861 Posts
Good job.... always smart to go over what you just did when things don't work that did before you laid hands your on it.

Reactions: theknurl

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to update this post so maybe it will help someone down the road.
So after getting the bike started it ran fairly poorly. Initially I thought it was the vintage fuel so I put fresh fuel in and rode it to burn up the old gas. It improved a bit was down on power and hard to start. I swapped the microtec ecu with the stock to see if it might be a mapping issue but it didn’t really change how it ran. I figured the plugs may have been fouled when the bike initially died.
I installed the new plugs and then the bike wouldn’t start at all. I noticed one injector barely firing and the others looked weak. So I pulled the injectors and had them cleaned. I put them back in and still no start. At this point I could see the injectors firing. I verified spark on all COPs but the bike didn’t even attempt to fire. So fearing something catastrophic, I ran a compression check and it was good across the board. I also verified that the cam position sensor was working. So at this point I am completely stumped. I had fuel, spark and compression. Only thing left was timing. I was sure my coils were correct as I changed the plugs one at a time so no chance of a mix up. But to be certain, I swapped the number 1 and 2 coils and was able to get backfire through the TBs and exhaust. I really was out of ideas as everything seemed like it should start. With nothing left to try that made any sense, I tried swapping the stock ecu back in. The bike fired right up and ran great! So I am not sure what has happened to the microtec. But it looks like I had a failing ecu (along with a few other issues) that was leading to poor running and eventually a no start condition.
Hope this helps someone down the road.

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
How come swapping the ECU's the first time didn't work?

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
I'm wondering if there wasn't a weak ground on the ECU as that can wreak havoc on how the ECU performs. After the second swap, the ground was well established and bingo! (Just my guess)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How come swapping the ECU's the first time didn't work?
I think that had to do with a couple of things, I dont think the ECU was what originally made the bike stop running, that was a fuel pump failure. Once the bike was running I still had old gas in the tank, dirty fuel injectors and carbon fouled plugs. When I initially swapped the ECU to check, those other problems still existed which on their own would have caused the bike to run poorly. I’m not sure if the Microtec ECU was failing at that point or it subsequently failed after that but when I initially replaced the spark plugs the bike was running with the Microtec ECU and then immediately after it stopped. So I’m not sure what happened to the ECU.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm wondering if there wasn't a weak ground on the ECU as that can wreak havoc on how the ECU performs. After the second swap, the ground was well established and bingo! (Just my guess)
I was curious if it was a weird connection issue so I actually went back and put the Microtec ECU back into the bike and it wouldn’t start, stock ECU it fires right up.
Believe me, I wish it was something as stupid as a poor ground, then I wouldn’t have this awesome paperweight.

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
The proof of that hypothesis could be proved out by reinstalling the Microtec ECU and seeing if it works.

(I was typing this as you were responding....LOL)

·
Administrator
19,861 Posts
do you have the software and communication cable for the Microtec???? You may try connecting to it looking for problems registered, and reload the configuration and map files.
As an alternative, contact Chris at X-Bikes and discuss sending it to him to look at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts