MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings MV Gang:

It's been 7 years since I've had my 2-wheeled toys. Lifes priorities had changed, but now I really miss my bikes. I had many toys, but which one do I miss the most? The Brutale.

The new crop of bikes is always very nice, but I am closer to the originals and am in the market for either 750S, 910S or 910R. Would you guys help me decide?

What's most important for me is the original condition, general reliability of that particular model and parts availability. If you owned either one of those models, what advise can you offer a guy like me for that model, what should I look out/be ready for? Especially now that more than 10 years has passed since those models were new, and parts are not as easy to come by anymore.

Any advise is most appreciated! All the best.

Registered
I like the '08 910R - the black one.

Reactions: Armando1969

Administrator
I like the white 910R (duh...I own one).

The 2008 (or 2007 in other countries) has the better 5SM ECU, so I would suggest the last of the 910 models...... but you should really look at the 1078 from 2009. Same basic bike but better fueling (and more power).

Reliability is good. Same old concerns...rear hub bearings, headlight glass. The CPU was fixed in 2007 so that is no longer a concern.

Maintenance parts are readily available. Cosmetic stuff, not so much. Don't crash.

Reactions: BG Wells

Registered
?

I'm with Kevin, '08 910R......black
Coming up on 35,000 mi
Valve cover has not been off
Burned out 2 low beam bulbs
And the thermistor for the low fuel light died
Original battery went 8 years

MOST reliable bike I've ever owned

:grin2:

Registered
theknurl
Coming up on 35,000 mi

OK I like that, please explain why the valve cover has not been off?
Could this work for a 1090 RR

Super Moderator
@mrmerlin: The valve clearances in these bikes are pretty stable. No need to pull the valve over if the clearances are good. The clearances are good if the engine starts easily. The valve clearances being bad would be exhibited by a slight change (lowering) in compression which would make the engine hard to start.

I don't want to speak for Noel, but I don't routinely check my valve clearances either...unless my engine doesn't want to start. (10,000 miles on my 1090RR)

Registered
Ideally you could want the 1078RR. What I find a cool alternative is the 989R.

Registered
?

theknurl
Coming up on 35,000 mi

OK I like that, please explain why the valve cover has not been off?
mrmerlin;
After 58 years off and on as a professional mechanic you learn a few things......
Listen to how your motor runs
Use a mechanic's stethoscope
Look at the design and components of the motor, MV uses 4.5mm valves, they weigh nothing

Annoyingly the valve cover leaks, but not enough to reseal it

My Aprilia RSVR has 30,000mi, looked at 12,000mi when the valve cover seals started pouring oil, resealed it, I'll look
again at 50,000mi, I did the original PDI

My BMW R1150GS gets done ever 6,000mi with a head retorque too......nature of the POS

This is what I do to my bikes..... I'm not recommending anything except lowering the pinch bolt torque to 15lbft/20Nm

:grin2::grin2:

Registered
Had a 750 for 9 years, ~50,000kms - like Noel's just about bullet proof.

Rode lots of 910r's ...love them excellent bang for buck

wanted a 1078 - actually still do want one...

Now own the 990R - absolutely worlds apart from the Gen 1 bikes, they handle and move so much better.

There are heap of 1090rr's and there was one for sale on the forum that was ridiculously priced... too good to pass up if your buying.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/23-a/207625-2013-brutale-1090-rr.html :wtf::wtf::yo::yo:

Registered
1090rr

That 1090 RR is mine.
The Brutale is one of four bikes that I have listed for sale to raise money (and make garage room) for a car project.
I need three to go.
Personally; I hope the Brutale is the one that doesn't sell.
That being said; I have it priced cheap!
The bike is flawless.
Scott

Registered
That 1090 RR is mine.
The Brutale is one of four bikes that I have listed for sale to raise money (and make garage room) for a car project.
I need three to go.
Personally; I hope the Brutale is the one that doesn't sell.
That being said; I have it priced cheap!
The bike is flawless.
Scott
Scott- is your bike still for sale?

Registered
1090rr all day long. I am advised, however, that the 1078 is the best. I await an opportunity to ride one but did 3000 miles round Europe in September on my 1090RR and it never missed a beat. A wonderful bike.

Registered
Thanks. Did you change your seat on the RR?. I recall reading you were thinking of doing that. I have a TV RC which has been great . To date absolutely faultless. So much so would like to add a B4. Not much available in the UK at the moment that looked as good as Scott鈥檚 hence was looking at importing it. Sadly it鈥檚 sold.

Registered
Well, my 06 910S has become one of my all time favorites. It has little semblance to the bike I bought 10 years ago: Unlike me, it is lighter and more agile, quicker and a hell of a lot more reliable now than it was then. This thing was like a wild mustang when I first rode it from Scottsdale AZ home to the SF Bay area, the sucker was trying to buck me off. And the snatchy throttle would be interrupted by frequent sudden stalls.

I think I would do it over again, the results are worth it. But I don't know if any MV is truly plug-and-play: Is there such a thing?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts