MV Agusta Forum banner

Help!! Gen 1 decisions...

19K views 163 replies 24 participants last post by  Nito 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone :)

So I’m in the market for an F4. From day one I loved the F4 750 when it was first released as many of you I’m sure). This seemed to grow with each incarnation, the 750 Senna was my favourite (big Senna fan), then came the Tamburini, Senna 1000, Veltro, 1078 culminating in the awesome CC.

I tend to gravitate towards special edition/homologation bikes, I have a liking for limited production models and I believe they tend to hold their own in terms of value, especially when used sparingly as part of a small collection (which this would be) since the mileage is kept relatively low.

I have been close to buying a Senna when they were sensible money, of course now the specials are at their peak making it somewhat unpalatable. When the 1078RR 312 mono came out, I had it as my screensaver and was seriously trying to get one as it was semi affordable but was on a wife imposed bike ban at the time!

Fast forward to now, I’ve had my eye on a couple of Senna 1000’s and even enquired on a Tamburini. However, I’m aware that compared to a Senna, the 1078 is probably the better bike, there have been some nice low milers recently and it has me seriously thinking that if it’s a better bike, and better value, am I mugging myself off by stretching to a limited?

As much as I love the Senna, (I think that and the CC are the best colour schemes), I’m seriously struggling to justify the asking prices compared to what a 312RR 1078 is fetching which seems to be the Gen1 sweet spot. Similar engine to the halo CC, one of the later gen1 F4’s, close ratio box, slipper clutch, still fairly exclusive and for the saving over a Senna, there would be scope to perhaps go for some carbon fairings and have it painted as a Senna tribute.

The Senna as much as I love it, is after all, deep down, little more than a fancy paint job, some insignificant smatterings of carbon, limited plaque and a decent rear shock but breaking it down to that does it an injustice, it has its place in history and will always hold a special appeal. Whereas the 1078 offers a whole lot more at the expense of some kudos, (owing to the Senna’s limited status and arguably being the one which will always hold a stronger residual).

Then there’s the Tamburini, which also holds a special place as the creator’s bike (big Tamburini fan - I even have a 907ie to prove it ;) ) but although it enjoys full carbon fairing, the mag swingarm and of course the TSS, it’s a huge amount more but if you’re overpaying for a Senna, its arguably a whole lot more ‘special’ being it is more than just a different paintjob, and then at a little more there’s the super stealth super limited Veltro, quite possibly my favourite until the CC, but these are heading into the unjustifiable price league and I go full circle back to a 1078 with some scope for a little spend.

So I guess what I’m getting at, 1078RR vs Senna??!! For a bike that will on balance average 500 miles a year, which will give more satisfaction and be a better investment? Is the 1078 that much better to ride, or are we talking degrees of difference, the same could be true of all the more expensive ones? Did I mention I love the Senna, but the head is struggling with the ‘value’ issue beyond the paint job and ‘special’ tag. I’m never going to extract the max performance from any of them, so in the words of Basement Jaxx...where’s my head at!?!

Interested in any thoughts or opinions?

I hope to join the MV fold soon, it has been a long time coming and I’m nearly there... just need to make some decisions. I’m sure ultimately whichever one I go for I’d of course be happy with, they are all a work of art and they’re all Tamburini’s creations. For me it is arguably THE most beautiful motorcycle ever made.

Cheers
Nito

See less See more
#2 ·
The 1078 is a much more refined bike...and the last of the 1st generation F4s.....but the Senna is gorgeous and more "collectible".

Go with your heart. Put that Senna on a pedestal and keep it forever. Some day it will be worth a lot more then the 1078.

#3 ·
Since you aren't really going to "ride" the bike anyway then you should go with the one you want to collect.

Depending on where you are on this Big Blue Marble, there are a couple of Veltro machines for sale and obtainable.

Reactions: Nito
#4 ·
I have owned both the Senna 1000 and I now have a 1078. From a pure riding standpoint the 1078 is by far the better experience. Even though it is not considered a limited edition model it is limited since it was only made one year and only a small number made it to the USA. I would not get rid of the 1078 to buy the Senna since the Senna is mostly a cosmetic edition. Both are excellent machines so you cannot go wrong with either

#6 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your thoughts. Interesting mix of views. I’m UK based btw, I’ve updated my status to reflect, thanks.

Pleasingly it doesn’t seem I can go too far wrong either way, I can’t help feel its maybe a bit naff to ‘Senna’ a 1078, because it’s a great machine in its own right and holds its own by merit of being pretty limited in availability itself. I guess for most collectible bikes the value is in originality.

Is there much in it from a reliability perspective in the three years development between the two? Does the 1078 have decent suspension compared to the Senna?

I know 500 miles doesn’t sound a lot but that’s all fun miles, no commuting or anything, my annual bike mileage is split over a few bikes, some get more one year then less the next but it balances out at that sort of figure each year averaged out. The Senna wouldn’t be put in a bubble never to see the light of day, I’m not that type of collector, they all get used properly albeit in fair weather, except my trusty old Aprilia Caponord which is the trusty all season bike :)

Thanks again
Nito

#9 ·
I assume you are talking about the Senna 1000 and not the 750. I like the paint scheme of the 1000 more, but the 750 seems to hold its' value more. The Tambo has always held a special place in my heart. If I had the option between the Senna and the Tambo. It would be the Tambo.

#11 ·
Yes 1000. The 750 is lovely and a classic, I missed out on a 750 twice (both great buys at the time which would have nearly doubled in value but it took me 16 years to reverse a wife enforced bike ban) but dynamically I think it has been far superseded on paper by the 1000, so I think that would bug me and like you, I prefer the colour scheme of the 1000. The Tambo is a stretch too far, I mention it because it’s not that far off the Senna with the way the Senna is priced and in terms of value it actually represents better value dare I say.

I’m not sure where values go from here, are they at a peak? All classic vehicles have enjoyed a massive boost this last few years, but surely they can’t keep on going like that, they’ll be one of the first victims when the worm turns that said, new prices are getting dearer and dearer.

With the 1078, I know we’re not ever likely to reach the limits on road, but is the larger motor more tractable and the nicer ride well away from the limits, particularly with the close ratio box (it would seem so from number 2’s comments having owned both), there are some real mechanical advances on that (that appeal to me) which make that surely the better riders bike which may well make it a bit of a late appreciating unicorn in years to come! Particularly with the CC connection. I forget the nice chaps name with all the special MV’s in Australia, but his comments on all the specials was that the CC blows them all away. Technically the closest MV to the CC is the 1078. There’s scope to upgrade the suspension/exhaust/bodywork/wheels to reduce the weight and it would be an awesome bike.

#10 ·
I can't go past the 1078. ..But that's probably because it's blocking the garage door!!!!!
MVs are a bike of passion, so go with your heart. Most of us mortals can't hope to extract every last bit of performance from anyone of these machines.

Reactions: number2
#12 ·
Huh? No interest in the LH44?>:)>:)

As a fellow lover of the F4, I echo most comments from above in that for the riding experience I'd choose the 1078, but as a 'keeper' (both collectable and to ride) I'd buy the Senna. If the budget allowed I'd stretch to the Tambo - and I say this as one who keeps tabs on UK prices. They are a far financial stretch from the Senna as you've no doubt found.

#19 ·
Huh? No interest in the LH44?>:)>:)
Er, NO, lol ;) !

Could you stop at Carbon fairings and a Senna paint job on a 1078, or would you keep spending and spending, it can be easy to catch the bug? In which case from a financial point of view buy a special production bike.
Very wise advice, I can relate to this completely, to answer the question, no I probably wouldn't stop at that, and yes I've been guilty of that many times in the past with cars. Agree with your second point, except I'm also guilty of that in the past, and then committing the sacrilege of modifying it heavily anyway. (Very rare Nissan Skyline R34GTR V-Spec II Nur, tuned to 700++bhp with an enlarged Top Secret engine and all sorts more. Would be worth a fortune in todays market had I kept it!!)

Good point, Bert. Some like to customize, while others wouldn't change a thing. If a Tambo were my only MV, I'd for sure be guilty of Leroying it, and unrepentantly so.
Leroying lol. I take it to mean the UK equivalent of trevving or chavving something up lol! Yeah, I'd like to think most on here would do things quite tastefully!! I did it unrepentantly so, fortunately, executed well, I didn't devalue mine when it came to selling, it actually enhanced the value, but it cost a fortune to do and I probably didn't recoup the full cost of mods but had a hell of a time doing it and I did all the work myself. I probably would never go that crazy again.

In the case of a Senna or Tambo/Veltro, I don't think I'd touch them really. The 1078, I definitely would, but I'm not sure how the value would go on that, probably would always be worth less than a Senna, even if it had full painted carbon bodywork, wheels, dampers, Ti pipes and a couple of mag bits (swingarm)! Would be a fun project nevertheless and a cracking ride I'm sure.

It's a difficult one, because I'm partial to both avenues. I think the Senna is still edging ahead, but I'm not sold at their current asking prices, I think the figures are suppressing my interest in going for one at the moment, it makes me feel that if I'm going to those figures, I may as well stretch to something a lot more special as its a chunk of the way there financially already. I've picked up all my favourite much cheaper bikes already, the MV will be the dearest in my collection so I want to make the best choice.

Thanks for all the responses.

Cheers
Nito

#13 ·
Nito what means more to you owning a special production bike and paying a premium, although it won't devalue, or the 1078 you could 'make your own' as a Senna Tribute.
Think about it, what would give you the most joy over time, buy with the heart this is all about passion. One would of thought for 500 miles a year any one of them will give you a thrill.

R1Andrew has made his bike his own and loves it. Could you stop at Carbon fairings and a Senna paint job on a 1078, or would you keep spending and spending, it can be easy to catch the bug? In which case from a financial point of view buy a special production bike.

#15 ·
Hi MV Arthur, what does Leroying it mean? I am presuming changing?

The Tambo is one of the one's I thought perfection and wouldn't need changing, almost sacrilege, although all standard parts could be kept. Out of interest what would be high on the list for change? That is of course if I am correct upon my assumption of what Leroying actually means!

#20 ·
Nito,

Now if the term chavving had been used earlier then one would have easily grasped the concept, but I'll be surprised in our friends across the pond know that one.

Lets us know what you go for in the end with some nice pics please.
You never know you may end up with your own Mona Lisa thread equivalent, giving R1Andrew some much needed competition, but that is gonna cost ya quite a substantial quantity of sobs(notes, dosh, wadny, etc).

#24 ·
Thanks folks.

Nito;
Only the SPR had a close ratio gear box....
The ratios for all first-generation mvs are in my sticky in the general maintenance and tech issues section
Thanks for the info I’ll take a look at your sticky. I read a thread on here that the RR has different ratios than the rest of the 1000’s and read it in numerous places online re close ratio. Think it was a longer first, shorter second and I forget third, the rest of the gears were the same? Interesting on the SPR, they are particularly good value over here at the moment compared to in the Italian market. The SPR didn’t really appear to have caught on over here.

I would like to think mine is worth more than a Senna, but I now it is less than a Tambo. Even though I could of purchased two tambos for what I have in mine. But I did not do it for the resell value. It was just crazy passion.

I know the feeling well, but your Mona Lisa is a cracker, quite a bit lighter than a Tambo from what I recall from reading the thread?

Does anyone know if the Senna Marchesini’s are the Magnesium ones or aluminium? Same question for the 1078RR rims?

Cheers
Nito

#25 ·
?

Nito;
Searched through a bunch of FS ads for Senna's.....nobody claimed they had Mg wheels,
their spokes are H section like my Mg Marchesinis
1078RRs have aluminum Marchesini/Brembo SuperLights
Lee said his Tambo had aluminum Marchesinis (gold)

Here are mine and they're definitely Mg

Attachments

#27 ·
Thanks Noel,

What is yours, or did you buy the mags seperately?

I can’t believe the Tambos are aluminium, so there’s another 2.6kg saving to be had right there alone. Do yours have mg stamped on them anywhere?

Cheers
Nito

#30 ·
Cheers Nigel, there are also 2 delivery mileage ones here that are a bargain . . .
How'd you find those!:surprise:

Anyone looking at the ebay 9000 miler with faults would be astounded to find that for an extra 2 grand they could have a brand newey! I thought I had my finger on the pulse, but I'll PM you when next I'm looking for a special!!:grin2:

#33 · (Edited)
The Pista is no good to me anyway, but the Strada is basically Tamburini spec in stealth. It has TSS, full carbon bodywork, Ti race pipes and eprom for 185bhp. It has an aluminium swingarm and bottom yoke, not sure what stock parts are made from and the Showa F1 derived rear shock. Strada weighs 169kg dry, the pista an incredible 159kg but that has a magnesium swinger, bottom yoke and sideplates along with a carbon tank and of course no lights, it also has race dash, quickshifter etc so a bit more tech than the Strada.

#43 ·
This has been discussed in other threads. Sometimes, not always from what I remember. It’s true for the F4 and B4 Oro bikes, the first 300 made had the matching number on the triple clamp plate. I think it may’ve been true for the tambo. Don’t think so for the Sennas and Ago. My 2006 Ago has last five in the VIN as 00012. The cert and triple clamp plate have it as 29/300 of the Ago series.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.