MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty simple, i need to change the springs on my forks. hard part is actually finding a set. also the springs need to be adequate for my weight. i've tried Marzocchi-USA in CA, CSR suspension in IN, local dealer and pretty much so far i've gotten no where. i have a 05 F4 1000s. im looking for a spring for rider of weight between 200 to 230lbs, or even a lil more weight :banghead:, Currently Knurl, and silentservice are looking into this. but hopefully they dont have to work as hard and someone else can also help. ANYONE please help out.

PS. i will also need help with the rear spring. i believe i can use an ohlins spring but to me is not clear if i may need a spacer...

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Talk to Chuck about which springs he used in his forks and where he got them.

I have a shock on the SPR I brought in. It has an ohlins spring on it. Here is the spring number: 01091-39/110 /203. Donsy says it's for "a fat arse", but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i have some info regarding that spring. 1091 is the diameter and lengh(160mm) of spring, the -39 is the spring rate which is

N/mm---------Kg/mm----------lbs/inch

-39===110-----------11.21-----------628

·
Registered
90 Posts
Lol

Back schock springs in n/mm and fork springs in kg/mm. So the spring Carl has is a 110nm/mm spring.If I'm wrong here it's because the man is dictating while driving in the city.

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
springs?

an Ohlins series 1091 spring is 57mm ID and 160mm long

1091-39/110-xxx
the 39 is an Ohlins number for the spring rate it is NOT the rate, the rate is 110 N/mm
the xxx is a production code date

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
an Ohlins series 1091 spring is 57mm ID and 160mm long

1091-39/110-xxx
the 39 is an Ohlins number for the spring rate it is NOT the rate, the rate is 110 N/mm
the xxx is a production code date
And how does this compare with all the stock spring dimensions I sent you? Are the stock springs the same length and id?

I still don't have any idea what the spring rate is on the stock springs.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hhhmm

And how does this compare with all the stock spring dimensions I sent you? Are the stock springs the same length and id?

I still don't have any idea what the spring rate is on the stock springs.
Someone was going to send me the formula on how to work it out.

But I had 4 or 5 different springs here from F4's and Brutale's and ID was all 57 mm obviously, lengths varied give or take 5mm (155 - 165mm).
The spring thickness was where the difference was most obvious, which I am sure you noticed Carl. If only we knew what they were.

I know when I had the gentleman Dave's Ohlins last year his 100N/mm spring was too light for me, so a 110N/mm like this would be a step in the right direction. It might be a bit heavy for Carlos but I see he is trying to catch up to me in girth :naughty:.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone was going to send me the formula on how to work it out.

But I had 4 or 5 different springs here from F4's and Brutale's and ID was all 57 mm obviously, lengths varied give or take 5mm (155 - 165mm).
The spring thickness was where the difference was most obvious, which I am sure you noticed Carl. If only we knew what they were.

I know when I had the gentleman Dave's Ohlins last year his 100N/mm spring was too light for me, so a 110N/mm like this would be a step in the right direction. It might be a bit heavy for Carlos but I see he is trying to catch up to me in girth :naughty:.
Dons i might be pass you, im currently give or take 240, ive lost 20lbs, and trying to get to low 200s, hahaha, so i guess that spring will work for me then. cool :yo:Carl if you havent gotten rid of it, put my name on that too.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
YOur name is on it.

Noel as the formula, but he guards it closely. Runs some bs by me about how it was on his calculator and he needs to program it.

The formula is all over the internet, it's not hard to find. But the missing variable, which none of us know or can measure is the tensile strength or something of the steel. Noel says it doesn't matter, but he doesn't know what the number is either.

I sent him a list of spring diameter on the various shocks. Curiously, the thinnest spring was on a 1078 Brutale. Thinner by a lot, too.

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
Carlos, I just spoke with Marzocchi an dthe guy I need to..or you need to..talk to is Mike G. Unfortuantely he is out until Monday. Noel is also working on this for you.

I think I have the right part number for my set-up and we're checking on that. The spacer you would need for the rear, if you go Ohlins or another 160mm spring is 5mm.

Here is a spacer picture...

DSCN0001rTEXT.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
What you should really do is come down and ride my 312R and see if this setup suits you...:f4::f4::f4:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What you should really do is come down and ride my 312R and see if this setup suits you...:f4::f4::f4:
sweet that sounds like a awesome idea :mouthwate :f4:ill make sure to treat her well, lol. by the way after 4 days of calling i got in contact with ferracci which steve also reminded me to do (from local dealer)
and they said that they dont know when they will be able to get an appropiate spring for me, But what would help is a spring from the tamburini which is stiffer than the original spring. so worst case scenerio is a tamburini spring.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hey Kreativ, you might want to give these guys a try:
CannonRaceCraft: 405-524-7223, or look-up their web-site.
I got a quote for $130-$150 for Custom Springs.
I planned on sending them the stockers, have them rated, and then get them to wind me-up some stiffies.
But haven't got to it yet, (funds).
Maybe you could Blaze the Trail and let us know how it goes?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Kreativ, you might want to give these guys a try:
CannonRaceCraft: 405-524-7223, or look-up their web-site.
I got a quote for $130-$150 for Custom Springs.
I planned on sending them the stockers, have them rated, and then get them to wind me-up some stiffies.
But haven't got to it yet, (funds).
Maybe you could Blaze the Trail and let us know how it goes?
yeah i heard that option several times, but everyone also tells me that quality is poor. which is a BIG NO NO for me:cross:. We'll see what happens maybe the Knurl has something up his sleeve to help out. and again worst case scenerio would be to get some tamburini springs and adjust the preload.

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
The SHAPE is the issue....

Gents, the other thing to keep inmind is the designSHAPE of the Marzocchi spring. It is an expanding/declining design and straight springs, such as Ohlins, have interferences with the dampening rod that travels internal to the spring winding.

See the shape?

DSCN5442 (3).JPG

And here's a rear spring comparison with a clear shot of the spacer:

DSCN5440 (3).JPG

The WHITE spring is the one on my 312R.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Cheers Mate

My AGO and 1000R fork springs look completely different Chuck, at least that is what it looks like to me, a progressive spring but more so on the top and no taper at the bottom. Or is it just photo trickery ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
What a great picture, Dons!

I think it may just be photo trickery.

In either case, Ohlins springs and others do not have the progressive tapering....

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Yup

What a great picture, Dons!

I think it may just be photo trickery.

In either case, Ohlins springs and others do not have the progressive tapering....
I know, I have done the run around before. I hope Carlos finds something.
I am actually very happy with the AGO springs and spacers with a bit more oil and good quality oil.
Can you imagine my face the first time I pulled those forks apart and put them next to the 1000R forks, I was like a kid in a Candy store man.

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
I just re-read and looked at the picture again. Which is th Ago and which is the 1000?

The springs on the left have many more windings and a thicker wire diameter; therefore a higher spring rate...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts