MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guyz.. I took my 2014 brutale 675 into the dealer to get the 600 mile service done. Driving the bike home from the dealer, it just didn't feel like it was pulling as hard, like a slight loss o power. Also it really seems to me like there is a new noise that its making. When I pull in the clutch it goes away . On the receipt from the dealer it says all they did was change the oil filter and oil plus put a new seal on it. Now these issues may just e in my head however it really didn't seem to be as fast. I checked my manual an it says to put in a specific 5w-40 oil. I see on the receipt that they used a 10w-40 synthetic. Im kinda freaking out, this is a brand new bike. Is this reason to be alarmed? Could it damage my bike?

The dealer isn't open until Tuesday and I am hoping to have my facts straight before I talk to them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think you will find many dealers do this, I doubt mine has the correct oil as the workshop that I have to use are clowns. My friends new B4 just got back from its 1000km service with10w/40 too and that really should have the thicker /60. He changed it straight away but it would probably be fine for a bit as we don't get extreme temperatures here.
Don't panic and go back to the shop and demand they put in manufacturers recommended oil.
Ps I'm doing the oil change myself this Sat to make sure it gets the correct oil.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Not sure where you're from, but if it's summer where you are, it likely won't be a problem (probably wouldn't regardless). My guess is any difference you feel in power could be from an updated map.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hold your horses, calm down, no stress...

I think a short explanation will relax you a bit.

Oil viscosity ,
x-W-y

The X tells you the thickness of the oil when cold.
The lower the X the thinner the oil is when cold.

The Y tells you the thickness of the oil when warm.
The higher the Y the thicker the oil will be when warmed up

Given this information, 5w40 instead of 10W40 will give a a slightly thinner oil when your engine is cold.
Might come in handy when you live in a cold area or in winter conditions. For example with cold starting in these conditions.

So 10W40 is no problem.

If you really want 5w40, you can always contact your dealer about it. But no sleepless nights, its safe to ride with this oil :yo

·
Registered
301 Posts
That small of a difference in weight really shouldn't matter. Plus it's the cold viscosity that's different, so once the bike is warmed up, the oil will be the proper viscosity anyway. I probably wouldn't worry about it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thx for the peace of mind. I live in Lake Tahoe, the Sierra mountains so it does get cold in the winter. I quess that is why they put the 10w-40 in it. I'm probably gonna switch it back, but very happy to hear that it won't cause any damage.

·
Registered
301 Posts
it does get cold in the winter. I quess that is why they put the 10w-40 in it.
You're thinking is backwards. The lower the number, the less viscous or "thinner" the oil. In cold weather the oil "thickens", the colder it gets the thicker it gets. To combat that, you would use a thinner oil at cold temperatures. So, it being summer right now, the 10w would be more appropriate then in winter.

I'm not saying use 10w in summer and 5w in winter though. Those days of different oil for different seasons are gone with the scientific development of oils, just thought I'd further your understanding of what you're putting in your bike:)

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
How often do you ride your bike in winter in Lake Tahoe?

Don't worry about it, ride safely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a old bobber I used to ride untill the snow starts to fly. As long as the roads are clear of snow and ice I will ride. But I don't think I'm gonna ride the brutale untill they clean the roads of salt, I've seen what it does to my truck an it's not pretty. Probably October thru march the brutale will be hibernating in my garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts