MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry need help locating link for an article featuring a shootout between; Brutale, S4RS, Speed Triple, Tuono. This was in one of the recent threads but unfortunately I am unable to find it. Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lean,

I will provide the link but don't believe it! All are excellent bikes, the performance numbers are within 100's of a second for each bike in 0-60, 1/4 mile, 0-100 etc. Most of us cannot get maximum performance and potential out of any of these bikes especially on the street, ultimately it is a matter of taste.

That being said my previous bike was a 06 speed triple and although a great bike, easy to ride nice mid range, nice hooligan look and with good pedigree it cannot compare to the agility and responsiveness, sound and look (although look is completely subjective) of the Brutale 910. I do not know the politics involved in bike shootouts but they certainly must exist.

The 910 is simply amazing! There is no way that this bike can rank 3rd, to any bike. Perhaps if you are very tall it may present a challenge because of its compactness but there are folks on this site who are six feet and still find the bike a fit. I am 5'10 230 and I am comfortable and the seat is not as bad as they make it out to be. The suspension is firm but is should be this is not a cruiser. I do not find the bike to be "twitchy" or the throttle to be over sensitive, this is a thorough bred not a quarter horse!

These bike are kind of like choosing a Victoria's secret model (excuse the implied sexism to the more PC in the audience), they are all beautiful just some like brunettes, some blondes, some Brazilian, some like Italian some all American ... you get the point, but beauty is a generally universal and the Brutale is universally beautiful.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4023

·
Registered
403 Posts
Excellent response, Finao! All true. They are all great, but the Brutale is absolutely the best. I had an S4R and I liked it. I have ridden the Triple and the Tuono. All good. The Brutale is just incredible. I love the I-4.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Comparos are based on advertizing revenue. Whoever pays the most wins.
Sad but true. That's why Consumer Reports doesn't take ads.
Pick up any car/bike/motorcyle/gun, whatever mag with a comparo, and count the number of ads. The 'winner' will have the most.

·
Registered
124 Posts
fazer6, not completely true.......I have worked for a few of the mags (in finance) and I can tell you other bias' go into probably more than adv revenue. Why do you think Motorcyclist always picks Suzuki? Well, the head guy of the group worked for Suzuki in their PR department for 10 years. Also, I know from working with a MX mag that the editors were taken care of by a certain company with a lot of bikes and accesseries, that certainly influenced them. Basically, the editors are biased, agreed, but usually not for adv dollars, it is more like "perks" they get. In fact, the editors usually don't even like talking to the Adv sales reps.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
kjk said:
fazer6, not completely true.......I have worked for a few of the mags (in finance) and I can tell you other bias' go into probably more than adv revenue. Why do you think Motorcyclist always picks Suzuki? Well, the head guy of the group worked for Suzuki in their PR department for 10 years. Also, I know from working with a MX mag that the editors were taken care of by a certain company with a lot of bikes and accesseries, that certainly influenced them. Basically, the editors are biased, agreed, but usually not for adv dollars, it is more like "perks" they get. In fact, the editors usually don't even like talking to the Adv sales reps.
True, good point. Kinda like politicians, eh. Also why CR buys all their own test products, and doesn't allow 'donations' from companies.

Now if we could only get them to buy and test a buch of motorcycles, I'd be even happier.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I rode them all 2 years back and bought the Ducati S4R (at the time) :jsm:

Later I rode the KTM Superduke :devilsmok I WILL buy one of those! the bike just makes you ride like a twat and :)

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yep. Any comparo would have left out the SuperDuke and that would be wrong. That bike should figure into your calculations.

You know, all these bikes are cool. Monsters don't even need comment. What a history there. The Speed Triple is a bargain and that motor is a hoot. I love it. The Tuono often comes out on top in comparos-- but it's kinda big (good if you're big, I guess) and it looks a little dated to me sometimes, even more so than the monster (and Aprilia is coming out with a new engine soon, which will indeed push the last decade's bikes back a notch). The KTM is reputedly very fun, and I own three KTM MX bikes myself, so that's gotta be a contender-- but it's pricey and while solidly built, it's built solid like a MX bike, not with the polish that an MV Agusta has.

Only the MV Agusta Brutale puts it all together: superb finish, outrageous looks, cachet, nimble handling, a motor with character, and a reasonable price. The only negatives to the Brutale are the fuel economy and the size: it's so compact I think it just isn't a good fit for a lot of magazine editors.

The other thing which I think puts off Magazine editors is that they somehow feel the MV Agusta is "too" nice. Too exotic, too fancy, etc. It's such a nice machine, they feel hesitant to push it, abuse it, really throw it around. Maybe that's why the KTM is so (reportedly) fun: it's so dirt bike like, the riders just huck the thing around with nary a concern about laying it down and scuffing a plastic shroud. If those shouds are priced like MX plastic, why not ride with such total abandon? Scuff it, baby!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finao,

Many thanks for the link and comments. That is what is so great about this site. I have had a 910 for a year and am looking at another bike. Unfortunately it is not possible to test ride before buying. I am looking for what everyone is; good looks, comfort, power, handling.....etc. Best would be to try it, failing that then I'd
like to hear from those who have been fortunate enough to have had the experience. Since reports are bias, what about comments from private owners. I am currently looking at a wide range; Ducati S4RS, Ducati Multistrada 1100S, Ducati 1000GT, BMW R1200GS...How do they compare to the Brutale? Thank you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lean,

If you have already had the 910 and are looking for different options or experience. I would consider the BMW K1200R. I have ridden the BMW K1200R and it is an incredible bike in it's own right.

The BMW K1200R is clearly, very different bike than the Brutale 910. Not nearly as pretty, not sexy, not as “flickable” but still an amazing machine. It is a large bike, very high tech with BMW's innovative cantilever suspension, available ABS, heated handgrips etc. It is a big heavy bike (567 lbs) but it doesn’t feel that heavy. It has better wind protection. It has a low seating position so one feels very comfortable. It has incredible HP (163 HP) and Torque. I found it very easy to ride, fits two up, very solid feel. It is more like a high performance sport sedan, with the performance number of a sports car easier for every day riding

The Brutale is like a Porsche 911 Turbo, the K1200R more like a BMW M5 (500HP). I personally would definitely consider the K1200R as a future bike or if the world were more just (and my kids were not in private school) as a second or third (4th, 5th….) bike. Just another two cents.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I love all those other bikes. I like to wave at them when I pass them and admire them in my rear view mirror, but first I have to get my elbow out of the way so I can see...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Finao,

Many thanks for your comments. I think the K1200K is a touch too similar to the Brut. I am looking for something a bit different. Less intense, more relaxed. Will look at the K1200K when I check out the GS though. I am keeping a completely open mind. I went to see the S4RS but it was the Multistrada 1100S that caught my eye. Never thought I would even consider it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts