MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all im a new member and purchased my band new 2013 white f4 last week. Since ive been riding it ive done 700 km and the bike has stalled 3 times while riding, with no warning its as if the throttle is cut and the bike goes down in rpm and stalls, there are no warning lights and all the electronics remain on the bike then will not start until the key ignition is switched off and on.
Every time this has happened ive only been cruising at a constant speed, this could be seriously dangerouse as majority of rides are in hills
Has anyone had this problem or know what it could be?
Thx
Ps. Absolutely loving the bike it is my dream bike but not worth risking my life every time i take it out...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah it has happened to me. The stand down warning light comes on and the bike does what you said. 3 times in 700km same as you. I have not tried to fault find yet but I'm guessing it's the stand switch as it illuminates on the dash.
To me it's not a huge problem just turn it on and off while you are coasting but you are right it could be dangerous. It is more of a worry to me when I go to race it that it will do it and I'll lose lap time haha.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just went out and it did it again, i cant believe i didnt notice the stand light haha thanks for that they should fix it under warranty

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Mechanics done all updates checked the wiring could not fault the bike but its still doing it so its back for the second time this week and they gave me a crappy demo learners bike to ride..... Not happy verry displeased with the quality of mv atm

·
Banned
676 Posts
MV Agusta doesn't make the switches... Suicide stand. You could always disable the damn thing, like in olden days, and not forget to put the stand up. Stupid switch is there to protect people who don't have checklists.

You could make a software patch to disable the side stand switch if the speed is such and such a value. If speed is greater then X then ignore SS Switch. That'd be an easy one.

·
Registered
14,215 Posts
sounds like it could be the inner side stand spring broke or is missing and the stand drops slightly activating the switch

simple fix if thats it

·
Administrator
18,859 Posts
Don't blame MV if side stand switch is causing a problem.....same thing happens on every brand bike. Started when that safety device became common place in the late 70's. Many a technician has chased his tail trying to fix the intermittent side stand switch.
Check the springs and mounts, replace the switch....or simply disable it (a jumper wire is all it takes).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi all im a new member and purchased my band new 2013 white f4 last week. Since ive been riding it ive done 700 km and the bike has stalled 3 times while riding, with no warning its as if the throttle is cut and the bike goes down in rpm and stalls, there are no warning lights and all the electronics remain on the bike then will not start until the key ignition is switched off and on.
Every time this has happened ive only been cruising at a constant speed, this could be seriously dangerouse as majority of rides are in hills
Thx
Ps. Absolutely loving the bike it is my dream bike but not worth risking my life every time i take it out...
I also have a f4 2013 and a few months ago I spend something like, I was rolling on the bike when suddenly the bike was shut down completely dead and after all this research was a cable suitch ignition off (where it enters the key on) you can check this also as this is a failure of mv agusta, f4 have another friend I step 2013 and the same
I hope you can solve your problem.
excuse my friend does not speak English

Greetings from Colombia

Juan
yo tambien tengo una f4 2013 y hace unos meses me paso algo parecido ,estaba rodando en la moto ,cuando de repente la moto se apago totalmente muerta y despues de de tanto investigar era un cable de suitch de encendido despegado (donde entra la llave de encendido ) usted puede verificar esto tambien ya que esto es una falla de mv agusta , tengo otro amigo de f4 2013 y le paso lo mismo
espero pueda resolver su problema .
disculpe mi ingles amigo no lo hablo

saludos desde colombia

juan

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just had my F4 updated to latest map (20/12/13) and 4 times in 100km on way home it cut ignition and bike won't bump start or start with button until ignition is turned off and on again.
These times with the latest map the side stand switch does not illuminate so it must be the ecu causing the problems because it is worse now. To me map fueling feels worse too.
And still quickshifter sometimes works and sometimes does not.
Guess just wait again for next map :/

·
Administrator
18,859 Posts
Juan Felipe may be onto something there....loose connection at main switch to harness....or inside switch contacts not making secure connection. If cycling the main switch off and on again gets the electrics up and engine running that would be a darn good sign.
Not sure a fueling map would cause that scenario.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have just replaced the 4 pin plug that goes on to the solenoid. It was showing signs of heat and melting. The spade connector that goes from the switched side of the solenoid to the ecu was loose.

I suspect that the ecu is checking voltage as part of the start routine. If it doesn't see enough voltage when the solenoid is activated it will not spin the motor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah I did also check the connection at the ignition but looks and feels fine.

Also power stays on speedo works etc it's just like the bike cuts spark.

The quickshifter works when it wants and also some times from taking off from a stand still it will cut ignition for a tenth of a second then be ok. This is with out me touching the shifter and usually slow so can upset the bike.

Maybe the quickshifter has a fault that is causing this? I did email starlane who make the quickshifters and ask if they had any faults and correct torque etc but they said there is no faults except the shifter does have an update bolt kit from MV. I have never heard about this bolt before has anyone else go it?

It is just strange how it did do it a few times before the update but the sidestand down switch would illuminate. Now it does it but no dash light illuminates. I think the updates on these new bikes are more than just fueling adjustments.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Thx
Its massively difficult to diagnose at a distance but, You say the bike stalls while in the cruise as if the throttle is cut...This really does sound like a fuel delivery issue to me.

Check the tank vent in the filler neck as that's easy to do. Sometimes the rubber inlet gets bunged up..

I think maybe it is normal to have to switch off the ignition to restart in order for the fuel pump to be re-primed.

anyway that's my tuppence worth on it.

joe

·
Registered
72 Posts
The bottom of the key switch needs to be changed ., new ones are already made . just have your shop inform MV and get new one .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks mfagusta, this is the problem then? I had first service yesterday you think they would have known this. Hate other people working on my bikes.

Do you also know anything about the gearshift bolt for the quickshifter? An updated one?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is the the bottom of ignition switch that you mean? I pulled it apart and it looks ok. Just some brass and copper contacts doesn't look like much to go wrong and it's clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
yes there is a new one available that will keep bike from cutting out on its own . they had an issue and changed the design .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts