MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started having an issue similar to the post in "1090RR will not crank (occasionally)" Here: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52550

Basically if I start the bike when cold I have no issues. If go ride for about 20+ mins...Turn off the bike wait for a few mins and then try to start the bike and then is when it struggles.

When I turn the key, the pump primes w/out issues then I hit the starter button and that is when it struggles to start. If I leave the bike to cool down for 30mins it starts fine.

I have cycled through all the gears and still does the same issue when warm. It also does not make a difference if the kickstand is up or down. Clutch always engaged when starting.

I sent a PM to RACasey but have not heard back, but in the above post that I reference he asked the question if the trip meter resets...In my case it is YES. Yes the trip meter resets when trying to re-start the bike when it is warm.

Any ideas what it could be?

I did take a video of the starting issue and apologies for the bad footage...I was alone and was holding the phone camera and starting with one hand, while the other was pulling the clutch it.

Bike starts on the 3rd try and the trip meter automatically goes back to zero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8LHAXe5O1w

A little bit about the bike: 2010 99R w/~4K miles. I have a race ECU installed along with a HP Corse Hydroform pipe (Pipe and ECU installed 12 months ago..TPS was also reset after the install) Never had any issues.

Any help, advice, guidance would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

/Amer

·
Registered
310 Posts
The same thing happens to me occasionally (2010 1090RR 5K miles) but only after I stall at a green light with a warm engine. I think putting it back to neutral helps but most of the time I have to push it out of the way under the honking of cagers and after 3-4 tries it restarts with a zeroed out trip meter.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear that Pierre....Have you by chance spoken to Munroe Motors? I'm hoping this is a simple fix as it's a pain to take it there from where I live but will if I have to.

Btw....Good to hear from you...Last we met was when Alvin organized the ride to HMB for lunch a few yrs ago.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Had the same issue. Haven't had it since I went through all the battery-relay-starter-earth connections with dielectric grease. There was a noticeable increase in cranking speed after the greasing.
People commonly blame a dud battery, but mine was fitted with a Yuasa from new.
I have not read of this happening with F4's, it appears to be a Brutie only issue. Quite interesting, as the basic components are the same...
If it happens again my next testing will be looking at the battery cable sizes, earthing area and the voltage drop across the relay when it is hot. One of my buddies with a Moto Guzzi fixed a similar issue by changing the engine earth to a larger bolt connection.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
When you find out what it is let me know,i HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THIS FOR MONTHS.My bike has done this for months.And yes my speedo resets also
cheers eddy

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I am just wondering if the race ecu might be causing this issue,?,I will put my old ecu back in and do a test ,will get back to you.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure try it as it won't hurt....But it does seem like an evolving common issue but you never know.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eddy et al,

If I don't get help here then I will most likely take it to the dealer to see what can be done. I will let you know the outcome. But hopefully others with similar issues and a fix can chime in.

I know you have a 1078 but one dealer mentioned that some 990R's were fitted with older style relays, but MV released a newer version to address some problems. No part #'s were mentioned and again they would need to see the bike to diagnose.

My 990R is one of earlier 2010 series so it "could" be the issue. Could also apply to the 1090's, possibly the 1078 but not really sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had the same issues on my Brutale 1078RR as you all have, and changed my battery few days ago from Shorai LFX14A4-BS12 to SSB High Performance Lithium Battery 400CCA LHZ10-S, so far the problem when it hot to start has gone for now, and time will tell if it’s happened again.

Cheers,
abadirr

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ladies,

Been following similar threads to this for a while and haven't posted because mine didn't involve the reset thingy.

I had the same issue with my 2009 1078RR. Stall or stop for fuel and two minutes later the sodding thing wouldn't start. But if I opened the throttle 1/4 turn or more it would after cranking for a bit.

What cured mine was a Microtech from Chris at XBikes U.K. Why the fuck MV dont employ him to map their bikes has me kerfluggered.

My apologies if this is a different problem but try opening the throttle when you try to start again before delving too deep into the 'green steam' (electrickery) thing.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
When you find out what it is let me know,i HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THIS FOR MONTHS.My bike has done this for months.And yes my speedo resets also
cheers eddy
Yep! mine does the same too Eddie although the speedo doesn't reset.
I've a 'microtec' fitted but it still does it and sometimes you think you're gonna end up stranded!.

Very embarrassing when out for a run with friends and when you call into the petrol station and it behaves like this ......????.

I've 'changed' the battery...still the same?
Very odd.
Brian:)

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
A possible factor '''

A friends bike would do this cutting out after 20 minutes or so running and then difficult starting routine. We diagnosed it as a faulty cps.

A faulty sensor issue will be exacerbated by heat . As the bike cools starting becomes easier as cps functionality returns.

When you stop for gas etc there will be a heat shunt effect when the rad and oil cooler are no longer taking heat from the engine.

A non-functioning crank position sensor will diminish or stop engine spark completely. This will result in the vehicle being unable to start. The engine will crank but won't be able to turn over without the sensor's ability to regulate its timing.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Thats,the next thing Joe,I have changed battery,ecu,starter motor,starter soleniod,put heavy car lead from battery to soleniod,that did improve it .taken of pc5 made no difference,since syncing the throttle bodys and using the vdsts software to reset the tps it is starting much easier,but i feel this is not the issue,sensors are next ,

cheers eddy

·
Registered
968 Posts
Just my two bobs worth but it is as critical to have a healthy ground lead /connection etc as it is battery positive and fuses and so forth. The ground lead and connection is often overlooked and is a common cause of heat induced voltage drop under load especially where it connects to the frame and the resulting current drop could cause the resetting of trip meters etc just like a low battery can. Come across the same symptoms quite a bit with piston engine aircraft and high comp motors. Also if the starter motor gets its earth from the frame then that connection is very important.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Just my two bobs worth but it is as critical to have a healthy ground lead /connection etc as it is battery positive and fuses and so forth. The ground lead and connection is often overlooked and is a common cause of heat induced voltage drop under load especially where it connects to the frame and the resulting current drop could cause the resetting of trip meters etc just like a low battery can. Come across the same symptoms quite a bit with piston engine aircraft and high comp motors. Also if the starter motor gets its earth from the frame then that connection is very important.
This should be easy to check by carrying a little volt meter ...:smoking:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eddie et al,

I am still waiting for an app with a dealer here. Not that many in the Bay Area and all pretty busy but I did order a new battery, which arrived today. I will install today or tomorrow and go from there. If my problem still occurs then I will get to a dealer to look at.

Judging by this thread it could be many possibilities :(

Will let you know what happens.

/Amer

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:

So I ended up trying two new batteries, one from a friend and one a Lithium. Had the same issue today where it struggles to start when warm and after a 20+ min ride. So my issue does not appear to be a battery problem.

I finally got an appointment with my local dealer so dropping it off this Friday.

I will let you know what happens.

/Amer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts