MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admin - maybe this message should be somewhere else?

Hi guys -

When I sold my last bike I gave the kid my 2 helmets b/c he didnt have much money and was considering forgoing wearing one :jsm:

Anyway, I havent been in the full-face helmet market for quite a while. What do you guys use - and what do you like/dislike if anything about it? Helmets have changed a fair bit since last I bought, and I welcome any thoughts you might have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
helmets

Check out Scorpion, most for the least,and they almost won JD Powers this year Features you will not find in lids 3X the price.My 2 cents

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Obmot said:
Admin - maybe this message should be somewhere else?

Hi guys -

When I sold my last bike I gave the kid my 2 helmets b/c he didnt have much money and was considering forgoing wearing one :jsm:

Anyway, I havent been in the full-face helmet market for quite a while. What do you guys use - and what do you like/dislike if anything about it? Helmets have changed a fair bit since last I bought, and I welcome any thoughts you might have.

JMO, I would get back into the full face helmet market asap. A lot is made of helmet standards but the reality is that if your are in an accident that is going to kill you while wearing a full face helmet due to head injuries you will have also sustained other fatal injuries. This however is not the case with open face helmets. The danger there is that you can easily take a fatal imapct to the jaw which is the biggest cause of head injury (alone) related deaths to motorcyclists.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Just thought I'd add something beside my little soapbox rant...

I recently purchased an Aria corsiar (view my album) and while I love it as far as fit and finish go I suffer a sore left ear due to wind...noise is not a problem though I think it would be on a track...It's okay when I wear a balaclava but with summer fast approaching I was getting worried and as I dont want to wear ear plug/s or use cooton wool I spoke to my freind at the bike shop the other day and got the number for Aria to see what they can do as this I am now told is not supposed to be a with this model. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rockethouse - sorry for my lack of clarity - I always wore a full-face lid, but I bought my last one many years ago (8?) so I havent been in the market recently. Hence I am wondering what guys have found recently that work well, vis a vis comfort, ventilation, etc. My two full face lids I gave to the kid who bought my last bike so I am now currently sans helmet, and they have changed a fair bit since last I bought.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wear Schuberts They are my favorite, very comfortable and well designed. Also light and quiet.
I also have AGV and Dainese. and from these two I prefer Dainese Airstream Corse because it has Bluetooth, and that is a very nice and convenient feature.
Hope you find something comfy and light.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I was an Arai guy for years, and I still would be except for a point in time when I didn't want to spend approximately $800 on a race replica helmet.

I went into Helmet Harbor in Phoenix (good guys, www.helmetharbor.com), and tried on some stuff. They were raving about the Shoei X-11, but it just didn't fit my head right. A lot of people believe that's the best helmet going though.

They had a bunch of Suomy helmets. At that point I thought they were a fad and they just were on the map because they paid a lot of riders a lot of money or something.

Turns out they are nice helmets. I have the Spec 1R bostrom, the twirling star pattern one. Feels a lot like an Arai, fits like an Arai, except a little noisier and maybe a little more airflow (fine for us in the desert, I wear earplugs).

I would buy another Suomy, it's been a really nice helmet.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
acruhl said:
I was an Arai guy for years, and I still would be except for a point in time when I didn't want to spend approximately $800 on a race replica helmet.

I went into Helmet Harbor in Phoenix (good guys, www.helmetharbor.com), and tried on some stuff. They were raving about the Shoei X-11, but it just didn't fit my head right. A lot of people believe that's the best helmet going though.

They had a bunch of Suomy helmets. At that point I thought they were a fad and they just were on the map because they paid a lot of riders a lot of money or something.

Turns out they are nice helmets. I have the Spec 1R bostrom, the twirling star pattern one. Feels a lot like an Arai, fits like an Arai, except a little noisier and maybe a little more airflow (fine for us in the desert, I wear earplugs).

I would buy another Suomy, it's been a really nice helmet.
how did the sizes fit from suomy to arai?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JC Exec said:
I wear Schuberts They are my favorite, very comfortable and well designed. Also light and quiet.
I also have AGV and Dainese. and from these two I prefer Dainese Airstream Corse because it has Bluetooth, and that is a very nice and convenient feature.
Hope you find something comfy and light.

JC, can you tell us more about the Dainese lid vis a vis comfort and bluetooth?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, the dainese is very comfortable, the cons that I see are:
- You have to install a aseparate defogger in the shield.
- The chin guard is too short, your chin is in permanent contact with it.
- The ventilation is nothing to write home about.
The pros are:
- Great materials
- Perfect Bluetooth interface
- Perfect sound quality, my wife tells me that she can't tell I am wearing the helmet when I call her.
- Great use in a helmet to helmet communication.
I would definetly recommend it as a second helmet or as a primary if you foresee the need to be "connected" while riding.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks JC that helps a lot, will have to find a place to give them a try. Unfortunately my job requires a rather short umbilical to the office so the ability to take calls, even if briefly, is somewhat important. "I didnt get your call because I was riding my bike" would be, sadly, "frowned upon." :bash:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Obmot said:
Thanks JC that helps a lot, will have to find a place to give them a try. Unfortunately my job requires a rather short umbilical to the office so the ability to take calls, even if briefly, is somewhat important. "I didnt get your call because I was riding my bike" would be, sadly, "frowned upon." :bash:
Well certainly the Dainese Airstream Course is for you!
check it it is cool

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The Arai I had was a Quantum, and the size is L (59-60). I checked the Helmet Harbor site and that should also translate to a L Suomy. But I remember distinctly that the L was too small because I tried on a Toseland model.

They feel about the same size to me (Arai L, Suomy XL), but the Suomy passes more air and is noisier. If you look inside, you'll know why...

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have Suomy Spec R medium, and Arai Q II medium. Arai fit comfortably from day one, Suomy gave me headache for a while until my head wore into it. Now it fits snug.

When you turn your haed sideway, you feel the air catching the Arai like a sail, but the Suomy moves very nicely from side to side without any pull to the side.

Suomy is noisier, Arai is quieter.

Suomy is lighter, Arai is heavier.

I tested the Dainese Air, you actually feel the air circulation inside the helmet once you are on the move. But once you stop at traffic lights, it fogs up quick, so I had to crack it open at the lights.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Shoei x-eleven, I have always liked Shoei over Arai for one reason - the visor mechanism. But really you have to find what fits your head correctly just buy the best helmet you can afford after all you'll be stuck with it for at least 5 years

·
Registered
35 Posts
JC Exec said:
Well, the dainese is very comfortable, the cons that I see are:
- You have to install a aseparate defogger in the shield.
- The chin guard is too short, your chin is in permanent contact with it.
- The ventilation is nothing to write home about.
The pros are:
- Great materials
- Perfect Bluetooth interface
- Perfect sound quality, my wife tells me that she can't tell I am wearing the helmet when I call her.
- Great use in a helmet to helmet communication.
I would definetly recommend it as a second helmet or as a primary if you foresee the need to be "connected" while riding.
Just a quick one, JC..... the ads describe the dainese helmet speakers as an 'earplug'. I assume this is not true, and they are in fact speakers fixed into the helmet. Also the vagueness of the ad also inferred that it is in mono (one speaker or two?, mono or stereo?).

I'm seriously considering one (or two) of these helmets, but have to travel overseas to even see one. Thanks for your recommendation - I'm otherwise an Arai man.... :naughty:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts