MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what kind of helmets do you all have? I have been an Arai guy for awhile, the corsair med. fits great, but I have been thinking about getting something different. I am just curious how you all would rate your helmets..

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Dova80 said:
I have been an Arai guy for awhile, the corsair med. fits great, but I have been thinking about getting something different. .
Me too. I've got 4 or 5 Arai (Quantums and Corsairs). I just switched to a Shoei X11, and I think I'm done. Very pleased with the Shoei and how it fits my melon head.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? You like the Shoei better than the Arai?

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Dova80 said:
Really? You like the Shoei better than the Arai?
VEEERY SUBJECTIVE ANSWER, but yes. I think the quality is equal, but I really like the ratcheting face shield and how easy it is to remove/replace versus the Arai. The Corsair is very light, but very noisy for me. I do think that head shape makes a huge difference in all helmet questions. I really don't think that there is any wrong answer between the high end Arai and the high end Shoei. Personal preference should rule. Comments, guys?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randarosa said:
VEEERY SUBJECTIVE ANSWER, but yes. I think the quality is equal, but I really like the ratcheting face shield and how easy it is to remove/replace versus the Arai. The Corsair is very light, but very noisy for me. I do think that head shape makes a huge difference in all helmet questions. I really don't think that there is any wrong answer between the high end Arai and the high end Shoei. Personal preference should rule. Comments, guys?

The face shield is something about Arai that has pissed me off many times before. This is why I am thinking of getting something else.. Like the Shoei X-11. I need to go to the store and try some on.. but coming from someone that has both, you would go with the Shoei rather than the Arai.

Looks like I will have to go to cycle gear to try some helmets on...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I've got both Arai and Shoei. The Shoei is quieter, and yes -- the faceshield is MUCH easier to swap out when I have to put a clear one on for a night ride.

I prefer the Shoei over the Arai.... it feels just a tad more "solid" to me, too.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I've been using a Shark RSR2 or Rs2R or something. I just picked up an Arai from a Forum member and it is quite comfortable. I probably won't be able to give it a test until the spring :cry:

CAG

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
I've tried Shoei, Arai, KBC, but by far the Suomy Extreme is the best helmet I have ever had.

The Corsair is nice with all the air but is very noisy, and I'm sorry to say but I just don't think the build quality is on par with that of the Suomy. The plastic peices always seem so cheesy and flimsy.

The KBC is the worst helmet I've ever owned. Piece of junk.

My dad just bought a new Suomy Vandal and loves it. I tried it on (we wear the same size) and was very comfy. It fit just like my Extreme. nice fabric and all, just dosn't hurt the wallet as much.:)

I really would like to try an AGV. not the ti-tech but the one right below it? I have heard though that it fits a more oval head.

I love nice kit.:D

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
B.Harris said:
I've tried Shoei, Arai, KBC, but by far the Suomy Extreme is the best helmet I have ever had.

The Corsair is nice with all the air but is very noisy, and I'm sorry to say but I just don't think the build quality is on par with that of the Suomy. The plastic peices always seem so cheesy and flimsy.

The KBC is the worst helmet I've ever owned. Piece of junk.

My dad just bought a new Suomy Vandal and loves it. I tried it on (we wear the same size) and was very comfy. It fit just like my Extreme. nice fabric and all, just dosn't hurt the wallet as much.:)

I really would like to try an AGV. not the ti-tech but the one right below it? I have heard though that it fits a more oval head.

I love nice kit.:D
I love nice kit too..addicted, one could say :laughing:
I had a Suomy Extreme for 2 days....sold it...just didnt fit my head properly, abliet, I probably picked one size too small...it seemed to fit, just grabbed my forehead too tight. It was just too painful to break in....and it was bloody noisy....noisy as the Corsair, easily.
Arai Corsair fits my head better...got 2 of them.
The fit is perfect, the lining and comfort is unmatched. They are noisy, but it's a race helmet, light and awsome ventilation....

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I like the fit of the Corsair too. Really liked the McCoy replica. I'm just waiting to see what the 2008 replicas are going to be.

I'm not worried about the noise, that can be fixed with earplugs. More noise generally equals more ventilation...and that is important in West Oz.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I had always Arai's and was pretty happy about fit, comfort and ventilation. I do not think swapping the Visor is difficult, You can do it in seconds with a little practise. But my problem is that the Arai's are sitting a little low on my head, in a way that my vision is limited. For an example sitting with the F4 at traffic lights is quite a pain, since I always have to force my head up. So my focus for the next helmet is eliminating this Problem and get a better Vision. I tried an X-Lite and a Shark already and I'm quite delighted about the X-Lite, which will be probably my next Helmet. Further are those helmets saving a substantiel amount of money in Your wallet.

·
Registered
438 Posts
just ordered the tommy gun black arai corsair.......i've always had corsairs...tried x-11's, suomy's, hjc, kbc, agv's, but arai's have always fit my noggin better. i have a round shape head, it all depends on your comfort level. arai's are noisy, but i'll take a noisy well ventilated helmet over a quiet poorly ventilated one. the kbc i owned before was quiet, but felt like i had a plastic bag over my head.

whatever your head fits will be your brand, i just happen to fit the ergonomics of arai's, but to each his own.

i do like the x-11 graphics though...pretty sweet.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Broms said:
I like the fit of the Corsair too. Really liked the McCoy replica. I'm just waiting to see what the 2008 replicas are going to be.

I'm not worried about the noise, that can be fixed with earplugs. More noise generally equals more ventilation...and that is important in West Oz.
Arai just arn't in the race with their graphics...Suomy kick their but in that regard...
You should get Custom paint done, to match that Senna of yours...
Actually, my custom Arai would look awsome with your Senna...its Black, Gun metal with silver and red stripes...

It matches so well, I think we should swap bikes ....seriously :laughing:
go on.....

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Helmets like bikes are very much a personal choice thing. I had AGV's for years but I bought an RX-7 and I love it. Noisy yes, but the fit and comfort is such that I will probably buy another Arai next time I change. Always keep an open mind for new designs though, Shoei have always impressed me too. I suppose the best advice would be to try as many different lids as possible before making your decision. :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
top 5 Helmet of my choice.

1) AGV (Lightest)
2) Shoei (Price so so > overall not bad)
3) Arai (overpriced in my country)
4) Roof Boxer (I love the Design)
5) Soumy (not bad)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
So would Arai be further up your list if they were more competitive on price?

·
Registered
194 Posts
My primary helmets are Suomy Spec1R's,very nice and fit me great..a little noisy but light and good looking! Also have a Scorpion EXO-400..nice helmet that fits good but its a little heavy.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
I am a huge fan of quiet helmets. To that end, a great deal of the noise reduction is based on how your head fits in the bucket to begin with. I own 9 different helmets from 6 different makers. My advice: (1) Buy quality, it is your head after all, (2) Fit and comfort first, you don't want any distractions at speed, (3) Never buy a helmet without trying that model on!

That being said, for my melon, Shoei X-11 gets it done, I own two of them plus the very similar Shoei X-SP II. The X-11's are the best fitting, most comfy, and by far the quietest helmets for me. The Schuberth is good, also very quiet, but a little wacky with the fighter pilot sunshade!

Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Ive got the Shoei XR 1000. Its light and has a fantastic review. Comfortable and vents well. Easy to clean and does not mist. Low sound level. Great helmet. When it comes to a helmet, just spend the money and buy right!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts