MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can You Guys explain to me what would be the possible consequences if I ride in the US with a Helmet which is not DOT approved, but is approved by EC, SNELL, ... ?
I ask that question since I'm always abroad, will most likely buy my Helmet in Germany and found some interesting Models which are not DOT approved. For an example Luca's Premier Italian Flag Helmet.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Depending on if the state you're in even requires a helmet, maybe nothing. If there is a helmet law, since DOT is clearly the lowest form of certification, just buy a 'dot' sticker and slap it on the back.

·
Registered
488 Posts
A friend had on a skull cap style helmet with no sticker. But the Leo that pulled him over flexed the helmet between his hands and said it flexed to much and was not DOT approved. $143.00 ticket Tennessee state trooper.

·
Administrator
19,799 Posts
Tennessee is on a vendetta against bikes...mostly sport bikes, but loud open pipe Harleys are subject to scrutiny as well.

With regards your question about helmets and DOT stickers, as long as you are wearing a helmet that looks remotely safe no one will ever say anything. Most custom paint jobs do away with any DOT stickers anyway. None of my helmets have a DOT sticker in view.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
A friend had on a skull cap style helmet with no sticker. But the Leo that pulled him over flexed the helmet between his hands and said it flexed to much and was not DOT approved. $143.00 ticket Tennessee state trooper.
You probably could have successfully fought that ticket since it's clearly not scientific.

My first soumy didn't have a dot sticker on it, and no snell, it had the British equivalent. But I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting hit for non dot. That trooper clearly had a har*** to give a ticket to a rider that day.

Chris

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Is there something besides a sticker that qualifies the helmet?

In the UK, if I recall correctly, is that there is a label on the inside (and they have some stickers on the outside as well), which is what is checked. As part of the motorcycle school, they would check this label to ensure that it was compliant. if it was not, you could not ride because you would not have been covered under some insurance.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a helmet from the US, mostly just to have it for the off chance that I might ride there. But then again, I've never ridden a bike there, and no future plans, so kind of a lame reason to buy another helmet when I have so many other reasons instead! :)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You Bro's, thats exactly my thoughts. To have a DOT Sticker on Your Helmet doesn't mean anything in View of Safety. What is safe in the Rest of the World will be safe for an US Skull as well. Some Manufacturers just don't let there lids tested in the US because they have no intention to market their Products in the US. Byself AMA seams to be pretty tolerant for their Race Series. Because Luca Scassa's Helmet, Premier Avenger Evo, for his AMA Superbike Campaigne was and is not DOT approved. By the Way my Skull is a German and applies so to EC Standard I guess.

·
Administrator
19,799 Posts
US helmet laws basically say you need to wear one if the state you are riding in requires it. I have yet to hear of any creditable story of a LEO actually looking at a helmet for compliance of any kind.

If you are coming to the USA to enjoy a ride and own a helmet...bring it along. You will be fine.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
i wouldn't be concerned with LEOs. I would be concerned with insurance companies in the event that something goes horribly wrong.

·
Administrator
19,799 Posts
i wouldn't be concerned with LEOs. I would be concerned with insurance companies in the event that something goes horribly wrong.
In the US????? If something goes horribly wrong you sue the non-conforming helmet maker...or anyone who was near by. No penalties for the poor victim here. In America you are no longer responsible for your own stupidity.
:blah:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts