MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of helmets do you all have? I find myself in a very hard position as far as visibility goes when riding the F4R. With my head in a normal position I see a lot of the brim of the helmet and not as much road as i would like to.

What kinds of helmets are all you tall guys using?...i'm 6'2''

I have a Shoei currently and have been looking at the ROOF Boxer helmets as a replacement.

Thank You for any suggestions...

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
well 6 foot here, have a Shoei RF-1000, and really dont have that much of a problem. The ROOF helmets look nice, but have never actually held one so I have no idea about them.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
never really thought about vision up top before. I switch off between the shoei and arai and they seem more or less the same to me from a vision standpoint. When I wear my suomy (the older Gunwind), it seems to have more peripheral vision....and just generally a bigger visor. Never measured anything, just what I feel when I put it on.

Don't know much about Roof. I don't really like the look of them, so haven't even tried one on.... but if it fits, it may be the one for you....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for response guys. My problem is that when i'm in a riding position hunched over, my ergonomics are not greatest for visibility. Maybe i have a weird longer upper torso...

Also, the darn mirrors are useless for me. I can't see anything out of them.

BUT the ride is unbelievable thus far!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Yes the mirrors are great for shots of your elbows...

Are your talking about when your tucked in and you are having problems seeing?

·
Registered
271 Posts
At 5'10'' wearing an xct I also have the same vision trouble with the top of the helmet.
Not too much of an inconvenience but it is noticable and can be limiting for looking a long way ahead.
And the mirrors............well they do look nice.............
easier looking under your arms than around them sometimes..
It appears that the F4s has the same limitations as your F4r

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Fazer6: after some research, I found that the Craft helmets are distributed by SMF Cycles in GA. Did you find a dealer locally that had one to try on? I am interested in the R2 Star helmet, but don't want to order one from SMF without trying it on.... unless the distributor accepts returns. How did you go about purchasing yours?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
triple said:
At 5'10'' wearing an xct I also have the same vision trouble with the top of the helmet.
Not too much of an inconvenience but it is noticable and can be limiting for looking a long way ahead.
And the mirrors............well they do look nice.............
easier looking under your arms than around them sometimes..
It appears that the F4s has the same limitations as your F4r
Looking under your arms is the only way to use these mirrors.

Trying to get your arms in far enough to look around them is a joke.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
G.Rand said:
Fazer6: after some research, I found that the Craft helmets are distributed by SMF Cycles in GA. Did you find a dealer locally that had one to try on? I am interested in the R2 Star helmet, but don't want to order one from SMF without trying it on.... unless the distributor accepts returns. How did you go about purchasing yours?
Honestly, I took a bit of a gamble. I read the reviews on webbikeworld.com and determined I had a good chance of the helmet fitting me, based on how my Suomy fits, and how Arais and Shoeis don't.

But, it fit great, and I didn't have to bother trying to return it to SMF, who has a very vague return policy.

So far it's on par with my Suomy, albeit lighter and quieter, and substantially cheaper. I've got the RX1 Cobra; Venting is my only question as it seems good, but it's been cold, so I can't really say yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very good input all and it's greatly appreciated.
I think i will end up ordering the Roof and giving that a try.

I guess nothing can be done for the mirrors so i will just have to adapt and live with it.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
fazer6 said:
Honestly, I took a bit of a gamble. I read the reviews on webbikeworld.com and determined I had a good chance of the helmet fitting me, based on how my Suomy fits, and how Arais and Shoeis don't.

QUOTE]

Fazer6: My Suomy fits me perfectly, too -- better than the Arai or Shoei. It seems that a Suomy medium is just a smidge smaller / "snugger" than the other brands medium size. So am I understanding you correctly to say that you feel that the Suomy fit is the same as the Craft?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
G.Rand said:
fazer6 said:

QUOTE]

Fazer6: My Suomy fits me perfectly, too -- better than the Arai or Shoei. It seems that a Suomy medium is just a smidge smaller / "snugger" than the other brands medium size. So am I understanding you correctly to say that you feel that the Suomy fit is the same as the Craft?
Correct. I wear a small in both, the Suomy cheekpads are a little more snug, but the shape is near identical, though oddly, the shell of the Craft is significantly larger. As the pads break in I might order some XS pads for the Craft and play around with the fit, I've grown accustomed to the second-skin like feel of my Suomy.
I'm very impressed with the quality of the Craft, esp. given the price.

·
Registered
434 Posts
zwampy said:
Very good input all and it's greatly appreciated.
I think i will end up ordering the Roof and giving that a try.

I guess nothing can be done for the mirrors so i will just have to adapt and live with it.

Alin...I used to have one of those riding my old bike, a Suzuki SV 650, and I don't recomend it even for a scooter. I never had a wost helmet before...unconfortable, and noisy as hell. It looks different to anything around, that's why I bought it, but is totally useless.
JMO

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thought about SHARK?

Hi,

I use a Shark RSR2 for street riding, and had been using it for track as well. It is an EXCELLENT Helmet with GREAT visibility. Shark Duhamel Replica this helmet is AWESOME, it's my second Shark. 100% TOP KNOTCH quality and they crash VERY well. There was a write up in Bike last year on the fellow who downed his 675 in to a guardrail. He was in the hospital for months, but the helment performed BRILLIANTLY they did a feature in it and how effectively it sheared off layers of kevlar to absorb the force. These helmets are a bit pricey, but I cannot recommend a better street helmet. The Shark is also extremely light and aerodynamic which makes it brilliant on the Brutale. I got mine on eBay for about $350--VERY reasonable.

I've lost a bunch of weight and picked up an AVG TITECH (Rossi 46 rep) for racing and the track... The visibility on the AVG is not as good as the Shark, but mostly I wanted the helmet VERY snug (race-fit) and AVG are notoriously tight...

Cheers, and good luck with the new lid!

·
King of Bling
9,809 Posts
I've always been a Arai wearer, but got tired of the noisy performance..

Changed to Shoei and found them to be much better..

Recently I tried a Schuberth out on a road test and was amazed on how quiet this lid performed..
When I come to replacing my current Shoei, I’m definitely going down the Schuberth route..

See if you can find a helmet supplier that will allow you to road test a few lids out, before making your final choice..

Here is a link of a helmet supplier

http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Schuberth-Helmets_AG8IF.aspx?gclid=CM7h04T-z5ACFQbllAodfj48Ow

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good all and thank you again for the posts.

As of right now i will be looking at the following and trying them on as soon as i get a chance. In no specific order...

OGK FF4
Shoei X-Eleven & RF-1000
Shark RSR
Arai Quantum II

Once i get one i will post up my impressions...

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Another vote for the RSR2. Excellent visibility, very comfortable. I also have an Arai Corsair. They fit my head about the same but I like the Shark better.

Can't help you with your 6'2" problem as I'm only 5'7".

CAG

1 - 20 of 33 Posts